+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

any updates from skyfire users?

or any news on when this beta will be released to a wider audience?

signed up on 2/23/08 still waiting

Registered User TrickyFrenchman's Avatar
    Just received my invitation today. I signed up within the first week of it being announced here. Haven't had time to play yet, though.

I haven't heard anything... there isn't a special forum or line of communication between the testers and Skyfire.

It's worth the wait.

I have not been accepted to the beta, but ever since I signed up for it, about a month ago, I recently started receiving SMS Text Spam messages. I also signed up for fring.com, so who knows if and what site gave out my phone number to spammers. My advice is just be cautious when software sites ask for your phone number instead of your email address. Aside from that, it's gotta be the single most annoying thing is having text message spam, especially if you pay-per-text.

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyFrenchman View Post
    Just received my invitation today. I signed up within the first week of it being announced here. Haven't had time to play yet, though.
    man i guess thats good news, I signed up on 1/28, hopefully my turn will come soon!

I got my message yesterday and I downloaded it. It works pretty good for a very early beta. I was surprised at how quickly pages loaded and the ability to have different levels of zoom is very nice. Flash video playback does indeed work, however it is pretty choppy. For me, I have a bug where my title bar will remain even after exiting the program. A soft reset fixes it.

It seems great at handling regular web pages. Ironically, it seems to struggle with mobile web pages. It starts zoomed out on them, meaning you have to zoom every time you load a regular web page or a mobile page, which is aggravating. It's pretty cool watching espn video on my phone though!

Quote Originally Posted by toddman View Post
    I have not been accepted to the beta, but ever since I signed up for it, about a month ago, I recently started receiving SMS Text Spam messages. I also signed up for fring.com, so who knows if and what site gave out my phone number to spammers. My advice is just be cautious when software sites ask for your phone number instead of your email address. Aside from that, it's gotta be the single most annoying thing is having text message spam, especially if you pay-per-text.
    I have not received SPAM messages. Must be fring.

I know i am but what are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by toddman View Post
    I signed up on 2/12 - have not received my invite, and i have not received any spam.
    must be Fring

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    I signed up on 2/12 - have not received my invite, and i have not received any spam.
    must be Fring
    Yeah, I'm pretty confident that it was Fring. Fring is based out of the UK and looking closer at my text message ads, the email addresses have .UK in them. My fix was to block all texts from email, but still, what a bunch of BS.

I'm still waiting for Skyfire...

Strange... I haven't been getting any text spam (knocks on wood) even though I have registered with Fring quite some time ago...

Besides, I think Fring is in Israel...

Talking No Invite yet, but just got an update e-mail

Here is part of the e-mail I just got:

Thanks for signing up for the Skyfire beta. Since our beta launch on February 8, we’ve had immense interest and enthusiasm in our product. Here’s a bit about what’s happening.

Beta sign-ups and invitations to download
    On March 1, we reached critical mass for our immediate beta needs and created two phases for our beta program – Betas 1 and 2. If you signed up between February 8 and March 1, you are in Beta 1. If you signed up after March 1, you are in Beta 2. We created these two groups so we can manage demand, and the only difference between the two is timing. It’s our way to ensure we can sufficiently support everyone as well as leverage all of your feedback to influence a stellar 1.0 product.

Beta 1
    Beta 1 is happening now and each week we extend invitations to download Skyfire on a first signed up, first invited basis. It will take us several more weeks to get to everyone signed up during the Beta 1 period. Rest assured, we will get to everyone in Beta 1 by the end of April.

At the launch of Beta 2, all Beta 1 users will automatically be added to Beta 2 with no action required on their part.

Beta 2
    At this point, we do not have a firm date for the launch of Beta 2. However, we know it will be sometime in Summer 2008. We can tell you with certainty that it will be worth the wait as we have many exciting new features in the works. For those of you in Beta 2, you will be notified by email as soon as we launch Beta 2. You will be invited to download Skyfire on a first signed up, first invited basis starting with sign-ups on March 2.

I was definitely signed up before March, so that's good news for me!

I know i am but what are you?
    I just received the same email. i'm 2/10, so i should be good to go soon.

Well we are now at the end of April. I should be in Beta 1 and was hoping to be using Skyfire by now based on the email I received (same as sshowerman's post). Has anyone else who was waiting been able to download the beta?

I have the original Beta. Just got a message to download the next version. They quit supporting the original on May 7th. Maybe that's the day that they will start rolling out to the other beta groups.

I just emailed them asking "what the hell happened to end of april", ill post the response once i get it...

Are you serious? I was in the first beta group release and I haven't heard anything about downloading an updated version.

Does this mean I won't be able to use Skyfire after the 7th if I do not hear from them?

I am a little upset

i had gotten in the first group and it is the end of april and haven't gotten anything else too

I did not get in the first group, but just got the SMS and downloaded version 0.6 in the second group. Pretty slick so far.

Alan