+ Reply to Thread

iPhone shell for the i760

On this forum, there are drips and drabs of iPhone shells is so many different threads...it makes it very hard to keep track of. So, can we use this thread to be the catch all for all of them? So far, I have tried iFonz which brought the speed of my i760 to its knees. I have also tried SPB Mobile Shell. It is OK, but nothing great.

What other goodies are there?
    2 things to live by:
    John 8:12a - "I am the light of the world." and
    John 14:1a - "Let not your heart be troubled."

I wouldn't call mobile shell an iphone shell but I guess just any gui shell. Pointui is a pretty good shell but not enough options or customization yet.

iFonz App (w/ video)

This forum showcases the iFonz app... I have it and absolutely love it. very easy customization. Here is a screenshot of what mine looks lilke:

*edit* I re-read your post... i don't know why iFonz slowed down your 760, it works great on mine.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dwightkshrute; 03-13-2008 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zucchero View Post
    On this forum, there are drips and drabs of iPhone shells is so many different threads...it makes it very hard to keep track of. So, can we use this thread to be the catch all for all of them? So far, I have tried iFonz which brought the speed of my i760 to its knees. I have also tried SPB Mobile Shell. It is OK, but nothing great.

What other goodies are there?
    I would agree except these are all separate programs. It would make it nearly impossible to follow the thread for a specific program with all sorts of random posts about other programs. I think we should keep each program to one thread each (ie. one iFonz thread regardless of new releases). But one thread to encompass them all would get pretty messy and hard to use for actual help.

Just my opinion - copying the iphone is just iWhack!

I think the iphone is a great device for some people. If you don't require all the bells and whistles that a true smartphone has, the iphone is for you. I like the device, but I would never use it myself because it falls short in so many key areas. The interface is slick but to be honest with you, I cannot see using any such iphone overlay/theme/program on my unit. Why? We have one of the best phones out there with the i760. I don't see why we should copy a lesser device. The HTC Touch comes close and there are programs that can give us a better experience overall, but I would rather see advances in that area than copying the trend. To me an iphone overlay is like Heidi Klum taking hairstyling advice from Britney Spears. (smile)
    "We don't need no stinkin' iphones!!!" I love my Touch Pro 2..... Bleeding edge previous devices include the Samsung i760, dirrrty i730, XV6600, Blackberry 7750, Audiovox Thera, and Ipaq 5550.

MortButtons?

I have been using MortButtons for a while now, and the thrill of an iPhone shell has waned for me... I get 12 big buttons to customize however I choose - including task management, Start Menu, sub-groups, etc. I'm using one of the standard skins called BlackAqua and it looks pretty sharp (sorry - can't find a screenshot). Admittedly, it is just a launcher... I don't know what other features an iPhone-lookalike would give, but the thumb-use functionality is more than satisfied by MortButtons.

www.sto-helit.de - MortButtons

- Matt

I have used a few of the iphone shells, including iFonz 0.9.4, which I was really looking forward to, but they all proved to be either slow, hard to customize, or both. I am currently using a few SPB packages in trial mode, and have to say you get what u pay for. Loving them and will probably pay for both.
    Last edited by John0866; 03-20-2008 at 06:43 AM.

I'll second the comments on "I don't want an iPhone" and on "hard to configure or pig-ware" (roughly).

That said, there are some great UI aspects to what Apple has done. If I didn't want any touch features, I would not have an i760, I'd have a Blackjack or one of the other crackberry clones.

I've found that some things are really great to have finger-ready.

Here's what I've got on mine:
    - Ultimate Launcher running five "sides" of a cube (or tabs, if you prefer) on the today screen. The main screen runs PhoneAlarm, five big buttons, and Calendar+. The second screen runs SBP Weather and fifteen big buttons. The third screen runs twenty-five big buttons. The last two screens run Tasks+ and TodayAgenda full-screen each. Scrolling between them with a left-flick / right-flick is very smooth and fast compared to a menu.

- S2U2is a bit of a memory pig, but works very well for locking the screen. Ultimate Launcher launches it from the today screen with a flick-down or it comes on with power-off screen.

- PocketCM plain rocks for finding contacts. Slide side up/down to first letter (or close), then mid-screen for the final name. A couple more taps and dial. I NEVER use the old contact manager. That is has threaded SMS is just a bonus.

- S2V for pictures rocks. It's one of the few (with PocketCM) that my wife insists on having on her phone. It's the "wallet pictures" of preference.

I ran FTouchFlo for a while, but don't like the memory it uses and issues it creates if conflicting with some other flick-friendly app.

Either PocketCM Calendar or ThumbCal look promising as finger-friendly calendar apps; but neither works well enough for my liking at this point.

iTask sure looks cool... but Flash? and all that memory? and it's "all in one" versus apps that load / unload? Not at this point. Not when there's the above stuff working so well. Similar for PointUI.

The other stuff (based on RLToday, WAD, SPB Mobile Shell, etc) is more config hassle than it seems like it ought to be to me. Ultimate Launcher is a tiny bit intimidating at first, but it's SO easy to just get a few icons and today plugins working, it's easily worth the trouble.

edit: added more links
    Last edited by gregoryx; 03-16-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryx View Post
    I'll second the comments on "I don't want an iPhone" and on "hard to configure or pig-ware" (roughly).

That said, there are some great UI aspects to what Apple has done. If I didn't want any touch features, I would not have an i760, I'd have a Blackjack or one of the other crackberry clones.

I've found that some things are really great to have finger-ready.

Here's what I've got on mine:
    - Ultimate Launcher running five "sides" of a cube (or tabs, if you prefer) on the today screen. The main screen runs PhoneAlarm, five big buttons, and Calendar+. The second screen runs SBP Weather and fifteen big buttons. The third screen runs twenty-five big buttons. The last two screens run Tasks+ and TodayAgenda full-screen each. Scrolling between them with a left-flick / right-flick is very smooth and fast compared to a menu.

- S2U2is a bit of a memory pig, but works very well for locking the screen. Ultimate Launcher launches it from the today screen with a flick-down or it comes on with power-off screen.

- PocketCM plain rocks for finding contacts. Slide side up/down to first letter (or close), then mid-screen for the final name. A couple more taps and dial. I NEVER use the old contact manager. That is has threaded SMS is just a bonus.

- S2V for pictures rocks. It's one of the few (with PocketCM) that my wife insists on having on her phone. It's the "wallet pictures" of preference.

I ran FTouchFlo for a while, but don't like the memory it uses and issues it creates if conflicting with some other flick-friendly app.

Either PocketCM Calendar or ThumbCal look promising as finger-friendly calendar apps; but neither works well enough for my liking at this point.

iTask sure looks cool... but Flash? and all that memory? and it's "all in one" versus apps that load / unload? Not at this point. Not when there's the above stuff working so well. Similar for PointUI.

The other stuff (based on RLToday, WAD, SPB Mobile Shell, etc) is more config hassle than it seems like it ought to be to me. Ultimate Launcher is a tiny bit intimidating at first, but it's SO easy to just get a few icons and today plugins working, it's easily worth the trouble.

edit: added more links
    I have a similar setup with UltimateLaunch. I really like it, although I only have 3 tabs (one of which is the default). I want to configure it more but I'm in finals week right now . I would love to use PocketCM but it seems so sluggish to me. If I want to make a call, I just start dialing the name or number. I'll have to give S2V a try, I tried the first version or two and was disappointed. I have started using Slide2Play recently too. He just updated it to .31. Thanks for all the links as well. Makes it easy to follow . I'm definitely looking forward to the finger friendly calendars (whichever becomes usable first).

i would take a second look at mobileshell2 over at SPB MOBILE SHELL 2.0 custom icons - xda-developers
    there is work being dont that has opened new menus and made customization of the layouts. the thread starts out slow but gets interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by tom108 View Post
    i would take a second look at mobileshell2 over at SPB MOBILE SHELL 2.0 custom icons - xda-developers
    there is work being dont that has opened new menus and made customization of the layouts. the thread starts out slow but gets interesting.

Thanks for the info, I'll look at that because that was one of my complaints.