+ Reply to Thread

Battery charging question (when to charge?)

Hey all... I wanted to get some opinions on this. I've been reading around, trying to find the best ways to extend the life of my i760 batteries. Not the life like... how long from full charge to dead, but overall life like... before the battery needs to be replaced.

I have consistently found two contradictory trains of thought, when it comes to charging and maintaining Li-po batteries in PDA's:

1. Charge them as often as possible/keep them as charged as possble... keep them plugged in whenever you can

2 - Let them run down until the phone dies before charging them.

What do you guys think? should I leave my phone on the charger when at home and work? or let it run down throughout the day and only charge it when it needs it (switching to the spare when the one dies... charge one while using the other)?

I do regularly use both batteries either way so that neither of them just sits around.

Any tips or past experience will be much appreciated!

well i always heard you should let them die before charging them or else it messes up the battery memory, but that was for the old ni batteries.

I have hard it doesn't matter with lithium batteries however I usually kill it almost completely before charging (unless of course im going to bed and it is around 40%, then i will still charge it). But i never leave it plugged in too long after the charge has finished, i THINK that is still bad for the battery.

Straight from Battery Universe:

lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40% - 60%. Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled") like Ni-Cd batteries, but this is necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any external electronic "fuel gauge" (e.g. State Of Charge meter). This prevents the fuel gauge from showing an incorrect battery charge
    So keep it charged as much as possible, but once a month let it run down.

Over the past 10 yrs I have had cell phones and pda's and all sorts of combinations and they are rarely off the charger except when in my pocket for brief periods of time. I have never purchased a replacemet battery. Best rule of thumb is don't let it get below 2/3 (66%) charge.
    Tom

I carry mine during the day, plug into the charger all night. Seems to be the best way to go.

I generally listen to music on my i760 all day using Bluetooth headphones and leave it plugged into the charger all night. I have been doing this for a couple of months and have not noticed any battery deterioration. I basically did the same thing for several years with my previous device (Treo 650p) with no problems.

Someone earlier mentioned letting one battery run down and then switching to the other while you charge the depleted battery. Does someone make a charging dock that will allow me to charge the batteries without having them installed on the phone? Would be nice!

Mr.ellsworth

Quote Originally Posted by mr.ellsworth View Post
    Someone earlier mentioned letting one battery run down and then switching to the other while you charge the depleted battery. Does someone make a charging dock that will allow me to charge the batteries without having them installed on the phone? Would be nice!

Mr.ellsworth
    i was wondering the same thing...

Info on Lithium ion battery charging....

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

The Samsung/OEM docking station has a slot for charging the second battery by itself, which is the primary reason I bought it. Verizon has them in stock now. It does not seem to like charging the phone AND backup battery at the same time though. I thought it was defective and had it replaced but have the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.ellsworth View Post
    Does someone make a charging dock that will allow me to charge the batteries without having them installed on the phone?
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the Samsung Desktop Charger has a battery charging slot for a second battery. I have two chargers (one at home and one at work) and three batteries so I always have a spare battery charged. I rarely put my phone on the charger, opting instead to just swap batteries wherever I happen to be.

Quote Originally Posted by bast525 View Post
    The Samsung/OEM docking station has a slot for charging the second battery by itself, which is the primary reason I bought it. Verizon has them in stock now. It does not seem to like charging the phone AND backup battery at the same time though. I thought it was defective and had it replaced but have the same problem.
    Hmm. Same one I am using but never had any problem charging both at same time. If your replacement has same problem, I would suspect something else. The dock doesn't really do anything but connect the pins. The problem is more likely with the AC charging cable you have plugged into the dock. May have a faulty transformer in it.

Have ray gun, will travel. Invader Zim's Avatar
    Does the USB 2 Computer charge the battery? My Q did that. It was nice to use instead of caring a charger around while I travel. When I tried it didn't give any indication that it was charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Invader Zim View Post
    Does the USB 2 Computer charge the battery? My Q did that. It was nice to use instead of caring a charger around while I travel. When I tried it didn't give any indication that it was charging.
    The one that came with the phone? No, it does not charge the phone. Several good vendors have cables that combine both functions. Search the forum, there are threads on it.