+ Reply to Thread

VZW Data Problems Today?

Did anyone notice any possible problems/lags with VZW's Data service today? I had to Soft Reset my phone 8 times over the course of about 4 hours this morning. It would just freeze up and out of the blue not recognize my micro SD card. IE would just "hang" and never connected. It also seemed like syncing to the Exchange server was a little "behind".

I removed PocketWeather and WorldMate, as I thought they may have been the problem. Up until today, they had been running just fne. However, after removing them, the problem still remained.

Then this afternoon, I was able to finally connect with IE and my i760 has not froze since (knock on wood). Could my troubles been the result of a temporary problem wth the data feed service? I hardly have any other non-OEM programs installed on my phone (its only 2 weeks old).

I was going to do a Hard Reset, but I may hold off since everything seems OK now. Anyone else experience anything like this?? I am in NE Ohio.

Thanks!

Finally after 15 minutes of slogging and waiting due to the rolling ads) I'm finally here to reply. Something is very definitely up(or down) with "The Network" for about the last week or so. I've been getting absolutely ATROCIOUS throughput on both my Q and a couple of Rev A modems (USB & PC card).

down: 150-300 kbs, up: 80-125 kbs, latency 255-988 ms. (dslreports)

Saw a similar complaint posted on evdoforums.com concerning the same timeframe so it definitely is not Local.

And I had to pick THIS week to try out a Rev A device. Definitely not impressed with those stats.

As audio and video streaming is now PERMITTED on the data cards (but not on the pdas) according to current TOS, I thought I'd try a rev A device and am getting buffering interruptions in the 64kbs audio stream which I never got before.

Salesman at store told me to update VZAM. Right. I had installed the latest version from the web to activate the card and I normally connect through windows modem handler anyway so I don't normally even use VZAM. Not useful advice at all.

Hope it clears up and I get to see some of the snap I was expecting to see on Rev A or else this card goes back and I''m back to tethering my Q again.

Guys, one thing I have noticed is that the verizon broadband goes down about once every two weeks for at least one to two hours at a time. I am a vampire (work all night at my home business) and sleep during the day. Therefore most of my data usage is between 10pm and 6am. For the last month verizon brought the service down twice at about 2am, it happened a couple days ago and on a sunday three weeks ago. Are they doing upgrades or improvements? Who knows. All I know is poof! my USB720 data card and my i760 can't get data for about an hour 2am in the morning. Hope its just this one or two times and not a regular deal.
    "We don't need no stinkin' iphones!!!" I love my Touch Pro 2..... Bleeding edge previous devices include the Samsung i760, dirrrty i730, XV6600, Blackberry 7750, Audiovox Thera, and Ipaq 5550.

Epic Geek
    I have also had weird data issues. I loaded PointUI about a week and a half ago and the next day my device seemed to have weird data issues. I would just stop getting mail. Would go to IE and it would say connected but I was getting no data throughput. if I soft reset the device or just turn the phone radio off then on it seemed to correct the issue. Then several hours later I would have the same issue.

I did a hard reset thinking it was related to pointUI or other third party software. The only change I made was configuring active sync for my exchange server at the office.

It is still going on, happened twice yesterday. Going to call Verizon support today to try to determine if its my device or "The Network".

The only thing that I noted with my Rev. A USB WWAN card which I use on my notebook, was that there was a software update to the VZmanager software on Thursday. I downloaded it, but I didn't see much change to the software itself other than the connection window looks a bit different.

Speeds were "typical" for the connection that day. I didn't use it yesterday at all and have not tried it today yet.

I normally get between 1500kbs - 3000kbs down and ~580kbs-800kbs up with pings around 95 which is great for me. Many times, my connection is better than it is at the client site's wired network.

I just hooked up the notebook and gave it a try and the data speeds are about 1/2 of normal. So something might be up.

In an hour or so, when I will be sitting in one place for a while, I will call Verizon business services to see what is up.

*edit*

Just contacted support, they had me reset a bunch of things, but the speed remained in the 500kbs range. A ticket has been opened for the next level.
    Last edited by krelvinaz; 03-15-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krelvin View Post

I normally get between 1500kbs - 3000kbs down and ~580kbs-800kbs up with pings around 95 which is great for me. Many times, my connection is better than it is at the client site's wired network.
    WOW!!
    Now those are precicely the kind of numbers I was expecting when I got my UM-150 (swapped out to a 5750 ) but instead (along with my Q) get the numbers in my post above.

All I know is I definitely can't justify the added expense ($60/mo more) for a data card if that's all the throughput I'm gonna get from it.

There is definitely something going on. The tech that took the ticket acted like they had not heard of anything going on, but the speed was quite slow and they admitted it was slower than it should be after having me do a number of steps.

I wish my i760 had Rev A though... one of the few disappointments when I got the phone. Don't really need it, but it would be nice for a few things.

Well things (for the moment at least, early Sunday morning) are looking a bit better. These pages are coming down pretty good and and a dslreports speedtest just pulled thefollowing:

down: 1350 kbs up: 560 kbs latency: 180 ms

Much better than I have been getting as of late, at least these are within the advertised performance parameters VZW puts out for their Rev A devices

Nothing noticeable on my end for the past few weeks.

Speed was back up close to normal when I looked just now...

1920 kb/s down 450 kb/s up