+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Data charges !?

Data charges !?

So Ive been carefully using strictly Wi-Fi to get rid of those unwanted ridiculous data charges and apparently I've used around 3000 KB which is like 44$. Yeah, I know terrible. Problem is that I dont know why I used 3000KB if Ive been using Wi-Fi.

Has anyone came accross the same problem and found out why they were using Verizon's network instead of your Wi-Fi?

Also, I installed AIM client from aim.co.uk (this is after all of this data usage, so I cant blame AIM for that). Anyway I wanted to know if the AIM program from aim.co.uk uses text messages?

Thank you

Verizon cannot legally charge for wi-fi. If you are positive you have never used the broadband access, call verizon immediately and figure it all out.

your phone connects to the network by default... you have to change the settings to stop this.

i can't remember how but search these forums and you will find the answer

Quote Originally Posted by gorgalis View Post
    your phone connects to the network by default... you have to change the settings to stop this.

i can't remember how but search these forums and you will find the answer
    gorgalis is right. though you are using wifi many times apps will call for the broadband access to connect. if you don't turn it off i would make it a habit of checking wireless manager to see if broadband access is running.

Go to your connections under settings and delete the *777 connection, that way it won't have anyway to connect to the internet without wifi. Also, don't you have a data block? If not I would call and get one if you don't want to use any Broadband Access.

Huh???!!!! $44.00 for 3000K??? That's only 3 Meg. $15.00 a meg. I know standalone data charges are ourtageously expensive, but $15.00 a meg? Surely not!!!!

I thought it was around $2.00 a meg. In which casse 3000K should be around $6.00. Which is still awful. I better go read the plan details again I guess, because I was thinking of killing the data plan on my Q and using a PC card instead. Was going to leave data on the phone alive but man, at $15 a meg i'd better put a block on it!
    Last edited by dima; 03-17-2008 at 11:33 AM.

"...please try your call again..." crouton976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by m_kranzler11 View Post
    Go to your connections under settings and delete the *777 connection, that way it won't have anyway to connect to the internet without wifi. Also, don't you have a data block? If not I would call and get one if you don't want to use any Broadband Access.
    one more thing, if you don't want to put a data block on your line, in file explorer go to my device\windows\startup and delete the file named CDMACSP (make sure to copy it elsewhere though). This file's sole purpose is to automatically replace (if it has been deleted) the #777 connection in your connections list when you soft reset your device. I deleted this and have not been charged for data ONCE. make sure to wait 5 mins. after deleting this file and then soft reset your device. The #777 connection will not return.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
    - Edgar Allan Poe

without the broadband how do you receive mms messages?

don't they have to be received/sent through broadband?

Quote Originally Posted by dima View Post
    I know standalone data charges are ourtageously expensive, but $15.00 a meg? Surely not!!!!
    I just swapped one of the phones on my account over to pay as you go for data, and it is $0.015 per kilobyte (1.5 cents per kb) , so yes, it is indeed $15.00 per megabyte. By comparison, it almost makes the unlimited data look cheap! And I thought that was expensive!
    Last edited by dfkimbro; 03-17-2008 at 05:41 PM.
    -Duncan

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion" - R. Heinlein

I went thru this with my last phone and it wasnt fun. First of all, even if you dont browse the internet or send any picture messages you will get hit with a large data use bill. I didnt have a plan because I knew I wouldnt browse the internet, but I was billed for over $100 the first month anyway. And no, Verizon wouldnt remove the charge. Iwas told that these phones access the internet for certain functions even if you dont browse the internet.

I put a data block on after learning this expensive lesson that Verizon should have warned me about. I also have a data block with this new i760 phone, I can still send text messages, but no picture or video messaging, and obviously no internet access.

be carefull, and I hope my sad story helps someone.

Quote Originally Posted by wmscottmc View Post
    I went thru this with my last phone and it wasnt fun. First of all, even if you dont browse the internet or send any picture messages you will get hit with a large data use bill. I didnt have a plan because I knew I wouldnt browse the internet, but I was billed for over $100 the first month anyway. And no, Verizon wouldnt remove the charge. Iwas told that these phones access the internet for certain functions even if you dont browse the internet.

I put a data block on after learning this expensive lesson that Verizon should have warned me about. I also have a data block with this new i760 phone, I can still send text messages, but no picture or video messaging, and obviously no internet access.

be carefull, and I hope my sad story helps someone.
    And this is why you should follow my suggestions from earlier to avoid data charges except those you get from receiving MMS. Trust me, my phone has never accidentally connected because there is no connection for it to use under my connections list. If I ever wanted to connect, all I would have to do is recreate the #777 connection. This works like a charm on my i760 and it worked flawlessly on my i730 too. Try it, you'll see....
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
    - Edgar Allan Poe

followed instructions to stop data connections

Crouton, i followed the instructions you posted, but i am wondering whether your phone still tries to connect to internet like mine does. Of course, it will not connect now, but if i dial a number during the few seconds it is trying to connect, my phone call fails to connect. I'm not sure what program(s) is trying to connect, but I see a msg about network server logon.

Edit: the phone periodically (every 15 mins or so) has a screen titled "Network Log On" and is waiting for me to enter a password. I didnt see this when i had a data block.
    Last edited by ste_bran; 03-19-2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: add info about connecting

do not mess with it unless you want to get seriously billed what happens if you hard reset the phone and forget to change it back I got a bill over $500 and wireless manager said nothing was connected could not get on the internet unless I turned wifi on so i thought it was working but i only changed the #777 number but have regretted even messing around I should have done more research though.

Be carefull. And whatever you do, be sure to check daily on your data/kb useage - otherwise you could get a very unpleasant surprise at the end of the month.

@ ste_bran :

My suggestion to you is go through all your software one by one and see which one is causing this. I have never had this happen before. The only thing I can think of is that maybe you deleted the CDMACSP file from startup, but didn't delete the connection from your connections list. If you did both of those things, then it has to be a program you installed to your device. Check them all, as most 3rd party apps have a setting to turn off auto connections (like updates, etc.)

@ abaldman74:

Changing the connection may or may not work. Some have reported success while others have reported failure. If you follow the instructions listed above, you should have no problems. Also, after a hard reset, double check the startup folder to see if the CDMACSP file is back. If so, repeat the process.

@everyone:

One more thing I forgot to mention... If you do the *228 update for your phone, you wil have to repeat the process after doing so. If you forget, you WILL incur data charges.
    - Edgar Allan Poe

K- this works well. Had same problem and knew they were going to charge. Tried to not connect to broadband but still ended up with 65.00 charge first month. Called and raised hell with them. They removed 50.00. They are devious. I finally changed 777 to 776 and it will not connect unless asked. Drawback is, MMS uses broadband. They trick you into a 5.00/mo. charge for 250 text/MMS messages knowing you will have to keep broadband on to use the MMS portion. (not Text). So- shut it off. Use text if you want for no additional fee. Change 776 to 777 to send/recieve MMS, then shut it off again. Pain in the ass. But that is the way Verizon ropes people into additional monthly data plans. The End.

Problem fixed (actually, just the symptom fixed!)

Thanks, crouton. Yes, i did rename (not delete) my cdmacsp file, but i was not able to delete my connection, i merely changed the number to '7' -- i wasnt sure how to delete the connection. The system kept trying to log in, but i guess it was stuck with just a 7, so it was asking me for a password. I'm not sure what program is trying to log in.

However, after searching in the forum, i found the additional step of settings>connections>advanced>select networks, and setting both selections to 'my work network'. Now i no longer have the issue -- i guess whatever programs try to connect using work network (wifi?), and they dont bother to tell me they cant, which is fine with me.

I suspect i cannot send or recv pix now. If that is the case, maybe i should just go back to my data block, since that was the only reason i turned the block off in the first place.

This whole dataplan thing ticks me off. I purchased a smartphone so that I could use the internet, then quickly realized how much this was going to cost me, so I finally cancelled the data plan and put on a block. I didnt want to spend more for this occasional browsing that I pay for broadband access for my home computers.

My question is this - do all carriers charge these expensive $50 charges for access to the internet? What does it cost to own an iPhone, what about the other carriers other than Verizon, do any offer a reasonable data plan for a smartphone?

Thanks

Unhappy Yes, other carriers are cheaper for the web

scott, i do not have direct experience, but have seen numerous posters here mention cheaper rates for web (i think i read Sprint charges $15/mo for unlimited).

Like you, i cant bring myself to pay $45/mo, which is more than i pay for cable! Of course, i have to keep asking myself why bought a ppc if i dont want the internet/email access!
    Maybe its becuz i have to have the latest and best toys, regardless!