+ Reply to Thread

Using Internal GPS

I searched this Forum and cloudn't find anything on using the internal GPS chip in the i760. Can anyone tell me if this can be done. The verizon rep that sold me this phone said it could be done and there was software I could purchase to do this other than the VZNavigator package. I was hoping to find a way to use Google Maps for Free.

Thanks,

Mr.ellsworth

I don't believe there is an actual GPS chip in the phone.
    Samsung SCH-i730 -> Treo 700w -> Samsung SCH-i760 -> Samsung Omnia (SCH-i910)

There is no internal GPS chip in the I760. The location information used for 911 location and so forth is derived from something called AGPS or assisted GPS. It's a technique that derives position information from the relative bearing from the phone to cell towers within range.

Well that blows! Are there any PDA phones with the GPS capability and is it worth it?

Mr.ellsworth

only on the XV6800 for Verizon. It's worth it if you really think you'll use GPS a lot. I have a separate portable GPS device for my car, so I don't really need it.
    Samsung SCH-i730 -> Treo 700w -> Samsung SCH-i760 -> Samsung Omnia (SCH-i910)

"...please try your call again..." crouton976's Avatar
    and even at that, you have to hack the phone to get the GPS in the 6800 to work. It does not do so out of the box and there are no settings on the phone to change it. If you don't mind hacking the phone, and if you can put up with HTC's build quality and loss of the front keypad, then I say go for it.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
    - Edgar Allan Poe

I tried out the 6700 a couple of years ago before getting a blackberry from work and my biggest complaint was trying to dial a number when I was driving using that on screen key pad and it was kind of chunky. I guess I will have to get a hand held GPS. I am sure it would be a better solution anyway. Thanks for the responses everyone.

Mr.ellsworth

The Freedom 2000 GPS goes on your keychain and connects to the I760 via bluetooth. As long your keys and phone are within 30 ft of each other, you'd never know the GPS isn't in your phone. Works great.

I posted the GPS that I use...
    New toy for my phone/notebook GPS