+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery??

Battery??

Ok I put my extended battery in from the beginning. At first I was amazed I would take it off the charger at 8 in the morning and put it back on around 11 at night with 15-25% battery left. These last few days i take it off round 8 and its giving me the battery warning around 12-1 in the afternoon. It is connected (broadband) pretty much all day. (it checks my email every 30 mins and i forget to turn it off)

But my question is can the extended battery just be dead or not working properly already?? Ive only had it for like two weeks

Do you have any Today plugin's running that you didn't have at the beginning?

What about your broadband connection and email? When did you start using these?

I doubt the battery is dead since the device is new. You could try the regular battery and see if you get the same results. Of course you won't get the same time usage, but if it goes further than the extended battery, the extended battery may be bad.

You also could try turning off email and/or broadband for half a day and see what your battery status is.

May take some experimentation and log battery status at certain time points.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

My battery life dropped dramatically when I started using push email (Verizon wireless synch). If I turn it off, I can go all day. On, just half a day or less. If I go to a 1X area, or lose network completely, battery life drops terribly, just get a couple of hours unless I turn off wireless synch, and not much better then unless I turn off the radio completely.

I only use the standard battery as an emergency spare.

This is my only complaint with the device, but it is a big one.

Alan

yup

well now I am using rlToday and my email checks every 30 mins so its pretty much constantly connecting to the internet and at my school i have horrible service so that might be it. I'll turn off my email checking all together and see if battery life improves

To what the other posters have said, have you changed the backlight settings? Backlight can have a big effect on battery life.

It might be something other than your e-mail frequency. Are you programs "running" in the background, or do you have a thrid party app that actually "closes" them, that will make a difference.

I have mine syncing with the Exchange Server "As Items Arrive" from 7:00am until 11:00pm. I send a lot of texts and surf the Net pretty frequently. Make only 3-6 calls, about 10 minutes each, and my extended battery usually has a little more than 1/2 left at the end of the night when it goes back on the charger.

I surf on and off throughout the day, have mine check my gmail once an hour, and its always connected to the VZW broadband, and I still get a couple days out of the extended battery.

I just make sure I end the programs via task manager when I'm not using them, and I keep the display off if I'm not using it. I always turned the brightness down most of the way.

Make sure on occasion you let the battery die out too. Li-Ion batteries need to be reset occasionally...unless its actually a Lithium Polymer battery. Those don't need reset. But I haven't found anything to indicate that it is, so I'm not sure. Most tech specs don't list that anyway though.

Lithium Ion batteries have a fuel gauge that monitors the amount of charge left in the battery and how much is used and re-charged. This gauge can get out of sync with the actual remaining charge and needs to be reset occasionally.

To reset the fuel gauge you simply cycle the battery. Drain the battery as far as possible and then give it a FULL charge back up again. To drain the battery as far as possible on the phone you will need to set the device to NOT turn off and I recommend that you set your backlight to stay on at full brightness to drain it faster.

When the phone does finally quit try turning it on again and let it drain some more. Repeat this until it won't stay on. Then charge it. Do not partially charge it as you will risk knocking it out of sync again.

Richard

I would do the deep cycle discharge as stated in the previous post.

I use the extended battery. I have Goodlink, which pushes my emails and calendar events out all day constantly. And most days, there is no noticeable amount of charge used. Phone use uses a whole lot more than the EVDO.