+ Reply to Thread

RedFly Windows Mobile Companion

Interesting product coming out soon...

The SCH i760 is on the Supported Smartphone list.

The REDFLY is intended to provide you with a larger display and keyboard to use with your Windows Mobile device so you can be more productive on the go. The display is an 8 inch 800×480 WVGA non-touch screen display. The keyboard is quite large and measures about 8 inches wide by 3 inches deep. The device has 2 USB 2.0 powered ports on the back so you can connect and charge your device at the same time. A Bluetooth 2.0 radio is included so you can connect to your mobile devices wirelessly after you first make a cabled connection to setup the device. A non-removable Lithium Polymer battery is used to run the REDFLY and charge your devices. Stated battery life is something like 8 hours. The REDFLY Mobile Companion weighs in at 2 pounds.

MFG Page:

REDFLY

ZDNET Article (has a video):
    Can the REDFLY Windows Mobile Smartphone Companion succeed where the Foleo couldn’t? | The Mobile Gadgeteer | ZDNet.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RedFly Windows Mobile Companion-redfly.gif  

Nice! ..........................

Sounds like a great idea....... Problem is that the price point they're thinking about is in the $500 range. When I can haul out my laptop and do the same thing, there's not a lot of reason to spend that kind of money to bring out a slightly smaller device.

Yeah, sorry but this device would have to be $200 or less for it to be worth it in my mind. I plan on getting an EeePC for the same price. It would be about the same size, would use WinXP and would run any app I choose instead of being limited to Windows Mobile apps.

Quote Originally Posted by swordsman74 View Post
    Yeah, sorry but this device would have to be $200 or less for it to be worth it in my mind. I plan on getting an EeePC for the same price. It would be about the same size, would use WinXP and would run any app I choose instead of being limited to Windows Mobile apps.
    Yeah, swordsman74, I am 100% in agreement with you. In fact I bought the EeePC the very first day it came out and I LOVE IT! Tiny - It's not much bigger than a couple DVD cases put together. It is exactly what I needed from a laptop. And at a price point of $400 you simply can't go wrong. In fact I am typing this message with my EeePC right now. The only downside is, it really attracts attention. At the starbucks, I can't get any work done because everyone who sees it has a question or wants to look at it.

That being said, I was still interested in the RedFly product. But the pricepoint is dumb. From a marketing standpoint this company should have done its research before advertising this product - even though its not for sale yet. $500 for an "accessory" device when full laptops go for cheaper is absurd. But no worries, lets wait a few months and when the company and product go belly up (Palm Foleo anyone?) then we can pick up the units for $200 or less on Ebay. LOL
    "We don't need no stinkin' iphones!!!" I love my Touch Pro 2..... Bleeding edge previous devices include the Samsung i760, dirrrty i730, XV6600, Blackberry 7750, Audiovox Thera, and Ipaq 5550.

Comfortably Converged
    I have been beta testing the Redfly with my i760 for a few weeks now. This device has become an indispensible part of my gadget aresenal. People seem to quickly dismiss this but I think it offers many advantages over a laptop.
    I will be posting about my experiences with it and hopefully a video this weekend if you are interested.

I can see how it can be a useful gadget. But if you weren't part of the beta and paid $500 for it, would you feel the same.....

Comfortably Converged
    Quote Originally Posted by akeeping View Post
    I can see how it can be a useful gadget. But if you weren't part of the beta and paid $500 for it, would you feel the same.....
    Yeah I would. I see the value of this device.

Comfortably Converged

sixftunda, have your tried sling with it ?
    i760 VZW

Comfortably Converged
    Quote Originally Posted by wallst View Post
    sixftunda, have your tried sling with it ?
    Yes I did. The audio works but the video skips frames. Trust me I have told them more than a few times about this. The latest drivers and firmware made it slightly better. I am also certain that the sling team didn't think about this when they made sling mobile.

Looks neat. What's the positive argument of this versus an eeepc, for example (skipping the obvious price argument on the Shift)?

hey guys, it's on sale now for $199 until oct 31. any takers out there?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by aiiaznsk8er View Post
    hey guys, it's on sale now for $199 until oct 31. any takers out there?

check this out: Windows Mobile - My Mobile

Your windows mobile phone on your windows pc desktop screen. . . . . .

works for me. Cost = 0

Justin