Closed Thread

Can't Get My Screen To Go Off

O.k. when I was at work something must have gotten pressed on the phone and now the screen will not go off. I checked under settings backlight and also under settings power settings and everything looks good. Except the phone is not shutting the screen off within the minute I have it set for. It shuts the backlight off after 30 seconds but the screen stays on forever. I have to hit the on/off switch at the top of the phone to get the screen to go to black. What am I doing wrong here, did I miss something?
    Fidelis Ad Mortem

Was having the same problem. Drove me nuts for days and I couldn't find a setting that would fix it. Did a hard reset and all is well. Not the best solution, but it worked.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by method823 View Post
    O.k. when I was at work something must have gotten pressed on the phone and now the screen will not go off. I checked under settings backlight and also under settings power settings and everything looks good. Except the phone is not shutting the screen off within the minute I have it set for. It shuts the backlight off after 30 seconds but the screen stays on forever. I have to hit the on/off switch at the top of the phone to get the screen to go to black. What am I doing wrong here, did I miss something?
    Do you have anyother SW installed that controls the screen?

In my instance, no.

Quote Originally Posted by krusty46 View Post
    Was having the same problem. Drove me nuts for days and I couldn't find a setting that would fix it. Did a hard reset and all is well. Not the best solution, but it worked.

I ended up having to hard reset it also. I lost all my numbers but I just went to the Verizon store and transferred them from the old phone. Luckily I didn't have very much pictures or songs on there. I need to learn to back my stuff up. If this happens again within the 30 day period since I bought the phone, I'm just going to go back and get another one.
    Fidelis Ad Mortem

how long did you have "Turn off device if not used for" set for in Advanced settings in Power?

I have been having the same problem but sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not. Once and a while it will just show up and I am not able to get the screen to turn off. The backlight dims like the other posts say but it never turns completely off. I check the settings and it is set to 1 minute.

I even try to change the settings to 2 minutes but that has no effect on it. I also believe that when this is happening and I manually turn the screen off with the top button there is still something going on because I noticed the battery draining quicker than normal.

Just trying to keep this thread alive as I would really like to find the answer.

So I am trying to figure out what exactly is going on with this problem. My screen is still only dimming today instead of going off. So I tried making a phone call to see if the screen goes off there and it does after its 10 seconds. Doesn't just dim but turns off to black. And then I go back to the home screen after ending the call and it still only dims instead of switching off to a black screen.

So no solution yet but I shall keep looking for it.

So I managed to solve my problem. I am not sure that this will fix the problem for all the others that have experience the same issues that I was dealing with but I figured that I would give it a shot.

Now I was going through the StartUp folder looking for something that might be the cause of the problem. First I made a backup of the entire folder just for safety precautions. Next I was going through removing each task in order to possibly isolate the problem.

After deleting the file "Obigosvc" I noticed that my problem of the screen not going to black has disappeared. I have attempted to research what exactly this task does on the phone but have not been able to find any information. But I can report that since I have deleted the startup file two days ago, I have not experienced any negative effects to my phone use.

If anyone has information about the task that I have deleted or also reports this as a successful fix, please let me know. Thanks for everyone's help.

Because this issue was already addressed in another thread (http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...-turn-off.html),
    I'm going to close this thread. I notice that superflybribi posted his answer in both threads; thanks.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)