+ Reply to Thread

xv6800 vs. sch i760

I owned the xv6800 for a couple of weeks before I traded it for the i760, here are my observations and comparisons, has anyone else tried both phones? and if so, what do you think?

1) I prefer the looks of the xv6800, however using the xv6800 screen to dial just didnt work for me. maybe all touchscreens are like this, but dialing a number with the on screen keyboard almost never worked for me, many times pressing a key wouldnt register. I needed a numeric keyboard. That was the main reason that I traded phones. (This is mainly a windows mobile problem - but too many screen functions cant be done by touch because the icons are just to small to do without a stylus.)

2) the buttons on the xv6800 were not good for me, to close together, and too often Id press the dial button when trying to navigate using the buttons. I know that many people complain about the send and end key placement on the i760 which is true, but not any worse than the 6800.

yep, nothing like hard buttons on the front for dialing....why the i760 is what I use

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Have you looked at the smt5800?
    Non-touch screen but looks similar to the 6800.

HTC Libra - Verizon SMT5800 - PDAPhoneHome.com
    Last edited by Mark_A_K; 03-24-2008 at 07:25 AM.

Ya the SMT5800 looks good, if I had to do it over Id buy that phone. It doesnt have a touchscreen, but after a month or so I found that Im not using the touchscreen anyways. It would be nice if there was a touch screen that was actually usefull, but not on the phones from Verizon Ive tried. Maybe the iPHone is better, I havent tried it. But in my opinion you shouldnt need an expensive touch screen phone, AND a dial pad, AND a full keyboard. Somebody will create a real good touchscreen soon, but until they do we'll still need keyboards.... and stylus's...... and dial pads.... and phones that are about twice as big as they need to be.

Sorry to bump this, but I figure it's better than starting my own self-serving thread.

I am currently within my 1st 30-days with the i760 and thus far I really like it. Coming from the i730 which I loved.

Now, it was a hard choice for me between this and the xv6800 and I went for the i760 out of loyalty/familiarity to Samsung (I really loved my i730 before I crushed it) and looks (I think it's dead sexy contrary to many others in the multitude of reviews and comments to those reviews I've read). I don't need a dial pad as I rarely if ever call anyone not in my contacts.

Here are the issues/concerns which I see as the only reasons to trade in/up for the 6800:

• No definitive word on whether 6.1 will be made available to us. WM6 is fine tbh, but I am someone that likes to have everything updated and current if possible. I know I can go get 6.1 for the xv6800 tomorrow via ROMs/hacks. (this will unnecessarily frustrate me)

• GPS - I don't need GPS, but who couldn't use it now and then? (also available via ROMs/hacks of course - locked down by the wonderful people at VZW)

• Possibility of Google's Android OS being compatible with this very popular HTC device. Somehow I doubt this happening for the i760 which is not given nearly as much attention from the hacking community.
    When my current phone is truly is reaching the "end of its life-cycle" it is intriguing to me that I may be able to install an entirely new OS and give it new life.

Can anyone give me definitive reason's why the i760 would be superior to the xv6800 beyond the dialpad and the overall looks?
    I suppose out of these things if I could just know for sure that at some point 6.1 will be available to us I would just stick with this devise. It is growing on me. - Thanks

*I must admit that the simple lack of a real headphone jack on the xv6800 baffled me. This device is my entertainment to and from work on the train every day and having to use a usb converter plug just seems terribly odd and stupid.
    Last edited by luca_bras1; 04-15-2008 at 10:19 AM.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

luca_bras1 - My one comment to you based on your explanations above is quality feel of the product. After about one minutes of playing with the i760 versus the xv6800 I knew what I wanted; the i760. I hated the plastic light feel of the xv6800. It felt like a plastic toy that was going to break any minute.

Other things I liked about the i760 have been reiterated again and again here. That front keypad allows me to quickly access contacts via its intuitive search string. Pushing three buttons on the front panel gets me to a nice list of who to call, then the jog dial seals the deal and makes the call. Of course I could do this all via voice prompts too.

Fun phone, will tide me over nicely for a year or two till I can get the next latest and greatest.

Bat.

I didn't think I'd use the front keypad, but I find it incredibly useful.

Thank you. Yes, I've read what comparisons I could and this is a valid point. I did "play" with the xv6800 briefly in the store and it did feel "plasticy" and "toyish". This is a major difference + having the keypad on the outside is actually something I'd prefer if given a choice.

As a stock device I'd choose the i760 hands down without question.
    I'm about 80% sure I'm ready to introduce the i760 to my mother. I've just got cold feet (I guess I just want to KNOW that I'll be getting 6.1 at some point)

The recent "In store update" thread got me quite excited and then let me down. Hearing everyone predict that we may be waiting for a long time for this is just making me question my choice.
    Last edited by luca_bras1; 04-15-2008 at 12:23 PM.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    Thank you. Yes, I've read what comparisons I could and this is a valid point. I did "play" with the xv6800 briefly in the store and it did feel "plasticy" and "toyish". This is a major difference + having the keypad on the outside is actually something I'd prefer if given a choice.

As a stock device I'd choose the i760 hands down without question.
    I'm about 80% sure I'm ready to introduce the i760 to my mother. I've just got cold feet (I guess I just want to KNOW that I'll be getting 6.1 at some point)

The recent "In store update" thread got me quite excited and then let me down. Hearing everyone predict that we may be waiting for a long time for this is just making me question my choice.
    Get the 6800 you'll be happier and we wont have to hear about your derogatory remarks about the i760...

did I just type that or think it....lol.

You are correct that there are and Will be more ROMs and sw for the 6800 then the i760. I really like the i760 but I am really looking forward to the next release of the iPhone.

My twin brother has the 6800 and likes it.

What about speed and memory comparisons? I'm really surprised with the price of memory so long that new phones continue to come out with relatively low amounts of flash.
    Regards,
    Matt

Comfortably Converged
    I saw the smt5800 get a mention. Read my blog posts before you buy that one.

Click here and scroll down past my calendar

Off topic; but the new vx6900 looks NICE

VX6900 does look nice but it has a lot of bugs too. There are a lot of hacks for most HTC phones to make them work correctly. That is a shame but that's HTC for you. That is another reason I wanted to try Samsung is to see if they are better. So far I like it a lot. Just need a few things added to it.
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

Searching for John Galt lynnpreston's Avatar
    I bought a 6800 last week to try out, but before I give my impressions, a little background. I've owned and used a Samsung phone for the last 3 years - the i700, the i730, and the i760 and have been big fans of them all. I was one of the lucky few to get my 760 early (I'd been watching the release rumor thread religously for months), so I think I can speak on this subject honestly. I don't want anyone to think I'm a "hater".

After a week of testing out the 6800, I think I'm going to keep it and dump the i760. Here are the reasons why:
    1. Upgradability - I love tinkering with things and the plethora of ROM's available for the HTC devices makes it easy for me to flash the 6800 to any number of ready-made ROM's or to make my own ROM. I've already flashed my 6800 to WM 6.1 and a Sprint radio that enables my internal GPS. Full disclosure - Note that my review here is based upon that fact - my 6800 is on WM 6.1 with a hacked Sprint radio.
    2. Better Bluetooth Performance - perhaps I've just had a bad i760 unit, but the Bluetooth on the 760 has always been poor for me. On my i760 the AVRC only works with about 25% of the devices I try. People randomly complain that I either sound too loud, too quiet, or garbled no matter which headset I try (Jawbone, Callpod, Samsung). No number of hard resets has fixed this. Also the bluetooth auto-reconnecting issue - everyone knows that story.
    3. Internal GPS - I have a Freedom GPS keychain that works great, but the internal GPS on my 6800 absolutely rocks. That's one less item on my keychain.
    4. I like the buttons on the slide-out keyboard of the 6800 better. Personal preference - some like the Sammy better.

Things I still like better about the i760:
    1. Front keypad - no doubt this is a great feature. I use Voice Command 95% of the time even to digit dial, so not a huge deal for me.
    2. RAM - Even with my flashed 6800, my i760 has more available RAM at boot.

I still love the Sammy, but these are just my observations and opinions for anyone trying to make this decision. You can't go wrong with either phone. Heck, I may even keep my i760 in case I get bored with the 6800.
    Regards,
    Lynn