+ Reply to Thread

Pocket informant and front keypad

For those of you that are using PocketInformant. Was wondering if you guys figured out a way to use the front keypad to do contact searches. The default contact list. I was able to do search's with front keypad. ex.. if I pressed and held 7424(Rich) my contact information would show up. But with PI only searching numbers with 7424 and not the contact name like you do on the today screen with the phone lookup feature. If anyone could help out.

thanks

Rich

PS.. I did do a search

That's been bugging me too - haven't spent the time to figure out if it could be changed. I would love it if it could!

Tried it out just now and found an easier way to search. Not as easy as using the front number keys, but accomplishes the same thing. Use the D-pad and press left or right to scroll through the alphabet and then up and down to select the contact. Scrolls very fast and is an easy way to find the contact you want. Still would love to know if you can use the keys for alpha search instead of numbers.

When you are in the contacts view in Pocket Informant you can press the * key to change the input mode for the keypad from letters (ABC), numeric (123), symbols (sym). then you can switch between searching for numbers or letters. Also you select the search within icon (looks like a question mark in between arrows >?<) so you can search within the contacts instead of items that "start with". I usually search for Numbers within contacts to find phone numbers pretty quickly.
    What version of PI are you all running?
    Mark
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 03-24-2008 at 10:58 PM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by MGuzzy View Post
    When you are in the contacts view in Pocket Informant you can press the * key to change the input mode ...
    Mark
    MGuzzy, I finally got it to work. but very strange. Normally I just go to contacts. And start typing in the letters to search. But that doesnt work. Now if you hold down the keys you want to use. It will show the number on the search field. But thats all it will do is allow you to use the "hold down" method.
    Now you click on the search field and the cursor is there. Then you can do the * key and change input mode. Very weird. guess I just have to get used to touching the screen.

thanks.

Rich

Yes 'normally' with the built in contact app you can just start typing. But with Pocket informant you have to tap on the edit box first before it will take input from the keypad... what's more bizarre, you can input from the slide out keyboard without having to tap on the edit box first.. I think this is an idiosyncrasy of the way PI interfaces with the keypad on the i760... I didn't have this problem on my i730 with PI7. I have posted the issue with their support forum.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.