Closed Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Windows Mobile 6.1 for SCH-i760 Rumor Thread

Pocket-lint has learnt from sources close to the matter that Microsoft will announce the much-rumoured refresh to its mobile phone operating system, Windows Mobile, on 1 April 2008.

An improvement over Windows Mobile 6 released in February 2007 the new version, unsurprisingly named 6.1, will be a stop-gap measure to keep both consumers and industry happy until the launch of Windows Mobile 7.

Leaked screenshots of 6.1 have already done the rounds in the blogosphere, and show the system has been simplified with the screens displaying less mess than the Vista-inspired version 6. A new look with new fonts, new homescreen and new features such as a task manager and copying and pasting in Internet Explorer all bode well for users of Microsoft's OS for handhelds.

Windows Mobile 6.1 to be released on 1 April

Upgradeable?

Do you know if the i760 will be able to take an upgrade to 6.1?

From what I can tell, if we can upgrade at all, we're gonna have to back up our contacts etc etc and reinstal/restore everything after the upgrade.

This better be worth it. I almost have my i760 to just where I want it.

I'm sure there will be an upgrade

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    You do realize that the date is April Fools Day, right?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MEG View Post
    You do realize that the date is April Fools Day, right?

Mark
    The bigger joke is they are NOT updating active-hell and I still cant sync with my phone.

I would be very surprised if VZW offers the update. AT&T will have it out the first day for the Tilt, but don't count on the i760 sharing in the fun.

I would think you would get the update through windows update not verizon.

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    It will be interesting to see. VZW has long been dead set against updates, but the update icon implies that M$ has taken over the task. But, I can't see VZW allowing that to happen to phones on their network given their history.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Do you think they will fix the SDHC capacity issues?

Mark

as far as i can tell, it will be available to all phones on wm6... so yes, the i760 will be able to update. it is 7 that is sketchy in that dept. there will also supposedly be threated sms and other such things. at&t im sure will take to the release right away, but vzw like usual with most likely have to wait a few weeks at least. i just hope it enables EMS.

also, the phone carriers should be able to back up your settings, do the update, and then swap... that is what i was told anyway. so hopefully no headaches there. i guess only time will tell. IF there is an update.

FWIW, I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but my understanding had been that with the release of WM 6, users would be able to download WM6 updates directly from Microsoft and would not need to go through the carriers. Consequently, I believe we won't need VZW's permission to upgrade to WM 6.1. That said, I'm a bit skeptical of a rumored April Fool's Day release (only because I can't imagine someone would actually plan a release on 4/1).
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

I agree, Im not too believing on the April 1st release, but I don't understand why we would have to go through verizon, we do have windows update on the phone for a reason, even though I've NEVER seen an update. But I hope that we can, with no problem get the update, and I also hope that the April 1st release date is true.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    The os on our device is a modified os by Verizon. There are a lot of things removed.

VZW would not allow MS to give us an update over the air. VZW would lose control if they did. Plus, VZW support has to be trained on the new OS so I could see VZW not giving us the update. They already sold us the device and a contract why should they give us an upgrade? What's in it for them?

I don't see why Verizon wouldn't support an update, after they got their hands on it and did their "magic". That being said WM6 really isn't hobbled by Verizon right now. You can do pretty much anything you want with the OS including isntalling software, changing settings, etc. With the new "any phone on our network" coming up it wouldn't make a difference anyway.

Here are my 2 pennies.

My i730 worked great on the original WM2003. When I upgraded to WM5 (so I could use it as a tethered modem) I started to have all kinds of problems, and it never worked right after that. And that was a Verizon supported upgrade. It would take a lot to get me to upgrade my i760 to a new OS. It's working too well as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post
    The os on our device is a modified os by Verizon. There are a lot of things removed.

VZW would not allow MS to give us an update over the air. VZW would lose control if they did. Plus, VZW support has to be trained on the new OS so I could see VZW not giving us the update. They already sold us the device and a contract why should they give us an upgrade? What's in it for them?
    Yeah I guess what you said is completely true, and I understand what your talking about. I guess its just wishful hoping on my part. I always like getting the newest thing out so we'll see what happens.

If all Else Fails

If Verizon won't "allow" an update or upgrade. I will just have to grab a full copy of WM6.1 and hack the ever lovin $h!te out of it, so it will work on my i760 from Verizon. I don't care if I have to pay Microsoft for a totally new license and create a freely distributable "update" file.

One way or another you ALL will have the WM6.1 update available to you.

Either that or I'll just whine like a b!0tch to anyone who will listen.

I can cry on demand you know!

Yeah, I'm the same way, I'll do whatever to get 6.1, alot of people may say well its not a big deal it's not worth it.....but I just want that **** anyway.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alquimista View Post
    If Verizon won't "allow" an update or upgrade. I will just have to grab a full copy of WM6.1 and hack the ever lovin $h!te out of it, so it will work on my i760 from Verizon. I don't care if I have to pay Microsoft for a totally new license and create a freely distributable "update" file.

One way or another you ALL will have the WM6.1 update available to you.

Either that or I'll just whine like a b!0tch to anyone who will listen.

I can cry on demand you know!
    You would be my hero if you could create a version that worked on the i760!

I predict that if Microsoft releases 6.1 but VZW doesn't allow us to get it on our i760s, someone will hack it and release it for VZW, similar to the early WM5 release for the i730. Anyone want to take odds on how long it will take for: (a) the "unofficial" i760 WM 6.1 release and (b) the "official" i760 WM 6.1 release?
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

so the smartphone version and the professional version are being released on april 1st?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast