+ Reply to Thread

im+ doesn't cut it

looking for an im program that stays connected when you are on the phone... im+ disconnects when i get on the phone and i can't understand why.. end result - i miss messages and it disconnets..

is there a reg hack or another program that stays connected?

I did a test run with aim while talking on the phone and it disconnected

IM+ requires your data connection. you can't be on the phone and on data plan simultaniously.

Right?

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weenis View Post
    IM+ requires your data connection. you can't be on the phone and on data plan simultaniously.

Right?
    You are correct.

Bad Verizon, No Cookie!
    Mine always disconnects when I turn the backlight out putting it in low power mode.

Kinda sucks
    Touch Pro 2 - 6.1 Stock ROM - Verizon Wireless

I have a unlimited data plan.... I don't understand how we can get txt messages while being on the phone but not ims... sad to say but my blackberry didnt have this issue....

is therea program that is better than im+ that stays connected or a reg hack?

Epic Geek
    The data connection goes dormant when you use the phone. It isnt im+ its the phone radio.

so your saying there is no way around it...

all other applications similar to im+ such as Agile Messenger will all do the same thing and sign off when a call comes thru?

i have been really liking jivetalk and it stays connected more reliably for me but also i am on wifi alot so that is part of the reason
    is in alpha though
    BeeJive :: JiveTalk mobile messenger - instant messaging to go

Quote Originally Posted by limitkid7 View Post
    so your saying there is no way around it...

all other applications similar to im+ such as Agile Messenger will all do the same thing and sign off when a call comes thru?
    Any instant messaging program that uses the phone's data connection (as opposed to WiFi) will have the same problem. As weenis previously mentioned, you can't use both the data connection and the phone at the same time. Text is different because it actually piggybacks on the phone's connection, not the data. In other words, you can send/receive text messages without having a data plan.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

i recommend palringo. it is great and it keeps getting better. you can even send voice and picture messages to people on aol, yahoo, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    Any instant messaging program that uses the phone's data connection (as opposed to WiFi) will have the same problem. As weenis previously mentioned, you can't use both the data connection and the phone at the same time. Text is different because it actually piggybacks on the phone's connection, not the data. In other words, you can send/receive text messages without having a data plan.
    how can RIM do it then?

I use Palringo and it does the same thing, if I get a call, I get signed out of my IM.

What I can't figure out....why is Palringo the only IM client that allows you to login to multiple accounts for the same protocol? I have 2 different AOL names, 2 different MSN names, etc. But all the IM clients I've tried don't allow multiple accounts, aside from Palringo...which I don't really like...but use.

This is what i have been usin, and work perfectly for me, dont kow if it applies to what you need but give it a try

fring – Make free mobile calls, IM with Skype, MSN Messenger, ICQ, Google Talk™, SIP & Twitter, AIM® & Yahoo!™

i think your data connection is turned off when you make or receive a call because my gps tracking app records the info on the phone and then sends it in one bulk report as soon as you hang up (normally it updates every 10 seconds)

I believe EVDO-Revision A is supposed to allow simultaneously data and voice connections. However, our i760s will not be upgradeable to EVDO-A.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    I believe EVDO-Revision A is supposed to allow simultaneously data and voice connections. However, our i760s will not be upgradeable to EVDO-A.
    That is incorrect. Rev A is simply a speed boost among some other small backend things. The only technology currently available that allows that is HSDPA.

byrnsey88, thanks for the info on JiveTalk....I love it! It has crashed on me a couple time, but only the app, not the phone. But for an alpha product it's very stable, usable and I look forward to future releases!

Quote Originally Posted by limitkid7 View Post
    how can RIM do it then?

RIM basically sends text messages. Any app that does the 'text message' way of accessing IM will work and stay 'connected' while your on the phone. But of course if you don't have an unlimited text plan that could get expensive.

--Chris