+ Reply to Thread

Angry PIN-lock set to 10 minutes by IT dept, can't increase

Hello,

I recently get an i760, and it's a nice phone, WM6 is great, and I loved it for a week until I set up Activesync to sync with my company's server, and the IT dept policy forces a PIN lock, and max time is 10 minutes.

Problem is, now anytime I want to use my phone, camera or send a text, I must enter a PIN, and this is getting really annoying. Settings->lock does not let me increase the time.

All I want is to be able to set it longer, like 12-24 hrs, though if it can be disabled completely without disabling activesync that's fine, I can just set the lock manually when I want it on.

I have searched for hours, literally. There was a program posted called stayunlock, but it appears to be for WM5 (I have WM6, and don't want to break my phone) and people talking about hacks, but not saying what these hacks are, and registry mods but also these appear for WM5. None of this is in the FAQ, AFAIK.

Thanks!

Let me tell you what worked for my Treo and soon I guess I will see if it works with my i760. After doing a hard reset I went ahead and synced up with my server at work. Once I got it synced up I backed up everything using Sprite backup. Then I did a hard reset. Then I restored my backup. When it booted it looked like it was going to ask for a password and then did not. Not sure why this worked but it did. I used this method for a couple different Treo's that I had. Go ahead and try it with you I760 and let me know how it works.

Good Luck

Ten minutes is way, way to short. If you do find a way to hack it, you should be ok if the back end is Exchange 2003SP2. There isn't really any reporting devices, that I have found anyway, that could detect what you have done.

2007 may not have anything either, I just don't have it yet to do any testing. Ex2007 and WM6 have device encryption and the device password is probably what "unlocks" the data so you can read it. Doing something with the password may cause issues? (I really hate PDA encrypting, btw)

Ten minutes is killer though.. Does your company also have Blackberry's? Is that set to 10 minutes? I can't imagine users being OK with that. Band together with your fellow mobile folks and get it changed. Find a member of upper management, give him a device and one complaint from that level is usually all takes.. heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    Ten minutes is way, way to short. If you do find a way to hack it, you should be ok if the back end is Exchange 2003SP2. There isn't really any reporting devices, that I have found anyway, that could detect what you have done.

2007 may not have anything either, I just don't have it yet to do any testing. Ex2007 and WM6 have device encryption and the device password is probably what "unlocks" the data so you can read it. Doing something with the password may cause issues? (I really hate PDA encrypting, btw)

Ten minutes is killer though.. Does your company also have Blackberry's? Is that set to 10 minutes? I can't imagine users being OK with that. Band together with your fellow mobile folks and get it changed. Find a member of upper management, give him a device and one complaint from that level is usually all takes.. heh.
    Yes, many people have Blackberries and yes, 10 minutes for them too, and people complain. IT says their hands are tied, as the security does need to be very tight for some employees here. But I'm not one of those employees and I don't have access to such sensitive information, so the policy shouldn't apply to me, but IT doesn't agree.

But... good news, I figured if I was going to try a restore, I'd first try that WM5 program called StayUnlock anyway, and it worked like a charm in WM6! I've not needed to enter the PIN since. The next day I did get a window popping up that said the Exchange server was trying to push their policy on me again, and I was able to cancel out of that window, so I think I'm fine.

I finnaly received my phone. After getting it and setting it up with my server I did the back up and restore using Sprite backup. After the restore noting. Still had the lock. Yesterday, bout 5 days after getting my phone, I used SKtools backup, the latest version. After doing the restore I not longer get the passwoord popup.