+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

i760 on a Macintosh?

Ok, Brace yourselves for a complete n00b question! It's come time to replace my computer, and I think I may be falling for the Macintosh commercials. There always seems to be bugs and problems with windows and windows software that I really am sick of dealing with. A huge concern I have though, is whether my i760 will work with a Macintosh computer. I would also love to hear opinions about if I am making the right choice. I've been a PC user all my life, and am very apprehensive about switching over. I realize this is probably walking the boundary of being off topic, so feel free to ignore the last question or talk to me in PM's.

Thanks alot!
    Mike

Hi Mike-

I have a mac and I sync my 760 no problem. I use Missing sync....I am a huge mac fan- they are user friendly, and no bullsh*t that windows has....

Get the mac!

I'm a hug Mac fanatic (I currently have three iMacs, a G4 Mac Mini, a G4 PowerMac, and a MacBook running in my house) but use a PC for work. I highly recommend the Mac, especially now that Macs can run Windows too (just in case you need to run a program that is available for Windows only). Although I know that programs such as Missing Sync (there's at least one more similar program, but I can't think of the name right now) allow Macs to sync with WM devices, I personally have never tried it. However, all reports that I have read here at PDAPhoneHome.com indicate that Missing Sync and the other program work very well.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Get the mac, macs are awesome. I have a mac, but i partitioned the drive for windows. I use windows ONLY to sync and work with the i760. It's also handy to have every once in a while but I RARELY use it. I can still bluetooth files from the mac portion.

Das Uber Tech Geek
    Get the Mac.
    I'm using MissingSync on my MacBook Pro with 10.5.2 and I have zero problems connecting my i760.

Mac is the way to go.

FYI

The Missing Sync does not offically support the i760. I have emailed their admin several times asking why and when blah blah. I have noticed that PocketMac now officially supports the i760, so you would have some recourse if the app failed or bricked your phone.

Just my 2 pence.

Oh, Macs are fine. so are windows (xp) machines. I use linux as well. Whatever you choose, remember that there is always a way to do anything, all you need is patience and time.

Keep knowledge free!
    Last edited by alquimista; 04-01-2008 at 01:08 PM.

I absolutely love my new iMac... and I've been a Microsoft user since DOS 4.0. I switched to Mac because Vista looks strange and buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by alquimista View Post
    The Missing Sync does not offically support the i760. I have emailed their admin several times asking why and when blah blah. I have noticed that PocketMac now officially supports the i760, so you would have some recourse if the app failed or bricked your phone.

Just my 2 pence.

Oh, Macs are fine. so are windows (xp) machines. I use linux as well. Whatever you choose, remember that there is always a way to do anything, all you need is patience and time.

Keep knowledge free!
    Thanks, alquimista, for mentioning Pocket Mac. That was the program whose name I could not remember.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

I am using missing sync for the mac and the i760- I have since I ot the phone- and have had no problems.

Unhappy Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    Thanks, alquimista, for mentioning Pocket Mac. That was the program whose name I could not remember.
    So I do all this research on who supports what and which app is better. I finally get my superiors to approve the purchase of PocketMac. I install it.

Stupid, darn, em-effin kernel extensions will not install correctly.

I now have everything, BUT the abilty to connect my i760. I have all the apps all the extras, but lack the kernel extension "PockeMacUSB.kext" and have "PocketMacKNetMO.kext" somehow incorrectly installed.

I've tried a million ( well maybe not a million) different configurations both on the phone and on the mac, but get the same result. I even tried to load the kernel extension manually via the terminal sudoed in as root, no luck. The "system" profile has exclusive rights to the kernel extensions.

Right about now I wish I had gotten the Missing Sync, even if it doesn't officially support the i760.
    I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob.

Tethering i760 with Leopard

Has anyone tethered the i760 with Leopard (OS X 10.5)?

I'm a senior network administrator and use nothing but PC's.

Don't get a Mac.

Proprietary hardware and software are on the way out. Linux/open source is on the way in.

Stick with a PC. Use windows. When you feel confortable, throw Ubuntu on it. You'll have no issues with tethering or anything else.

Hi, I'm a PC.

Quote Originally Posted by weenis View Post
    I'm a senior network administrator and use nothing but PC's.

Don't get a Mac.

Proprietary hardware and software are on the way out. Linux/open source is on the way in.

Stick with a PC. Use windows. When you feel confortable, throw Ubuntu on it. You'll have no issues with tethering or anything else.

Hi, I'm a PC.
    Times, they are a changing......I'm a Mac!

it really depends on what you are going to use it for. If you are going for just basic computer uses, aka Internet, word processing, music, videos, editing, etc. DEFINITELY go for the mac. But if you are doing something more business/gamer oriented go with the PC. Remember that you can still run microsoft on a mac as a partition if you really wanted to. I have both systems and I like the mac WAY more. It runs so much smoother in comparison to a normal PC. But as soon as it comes to games, i switch to my Sony.

If you like to tinker as I do then:
    Hackintosh
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by cgilbert View Post
    Times, they are a changing......I'm a Mac!
    I'm 27 years younger than you and on the bleeding edge of technology, you're telling me the times are changing?

I just told you linux/open source is on the way in...

But yea, really, in an open source environment, where does that put Apple?

It was mentioned for Internet browsing, music, word/excel/powerpoint, multimedia and ... ... ... use a mac. Why not use linux? It's faster, cost of ownership is less. You can build a linux box for < $300.

On top of that, the more you use linux, and the more you learn it, the more it can do everything you need it to. I don't see that in the mac world.

Quote Originally Posted by weenis View Post
    I'm 27 years younger than you and on the bleeding edge of technology, you're telling me the times are changing?

I just told you linux/open source is on the way in...

But yea, really, in an open source environment, where does that put Apple?

It was mentioned for Internet browsing, music, word/excel/powerpoint, multimedia and ... ... ... use a mac. Why not use linux? It's faster, cost of ownership is less. You can build a linux box for < $300.

On top of that, the more you use linux, and the more you learn it, the more it can do everything you need it to. I don't see that in the mac world.
    If you like to tinker, build you a linux box. It really, really works and is inexpensive. If you just want an expensive, automatic, super toaster you don't want to have to think much about--get a Mac. I'm inclined to think that i760 owners like to tinker.

So all we did was agree that times are changing. You're on the bleeding edge of technology? I've been a Microsoft consultant for close to 20 years. How senior does that make you? The fact that you've got to look up and bring age into it says it all.

I don't know many business' that will build their solution on a free and unsupported OS, and I also know that not everyone is going to want to forge through it as you do.

We're all entitled to our own opinions. Alot has changed on the Mac, Mike's question was on a Mac with regards to syncing. It really has nothing to do with Linux.

So all we did was agree that times are changing. You're on the bleeding edge of technology? I've been a Microsoft consultant for close to 20 years. How senior does that make you? The fact that you've got to look up and bring age into it says it all.
    Yeah... i have to deal with microsoft "consultants" all day long. They're constantly calling offering me tickets to professional sporting events and in return I have to listen to a sales pitch.

I don't know many business' that will build their solution on a free and unsupported OS, and I also know that not everyone is going to want to forge through it as you do.
    Oh? Here's a short list.

Google
    Convergent Minds, LLC

We're all entitled to our own opinions. Alot has changed on the Mac, Mike's question was on a Mac with regards to syncing. It really has nothing to do with Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5150
    I would also love to hear opinions about if I am making the right choice. I've been a PC user all my life, and am very apprehensive about switching over.