+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

"Just some guy's" list of great 100% FREE apps for i760!

Hey all... let me start this post by first saying that this is going to be a long thread... just a little warning

I've had my i760 now for about six months, and was just thinking how great it is now compare to how it is out-of-the-box-stock, and realized that, except for a few can't-live-without, pay-for apps (SPB PHONE SUITE!), most of the apps that have made my phone function so fantastically are FREE! As such, I thought I would post my list of all the free apps I've aquired that work great and that I feel I wouldn't want to go without (well, some I could definately go without, but am happier for having them). Here is my list, in no particular order:

AEB Plus: Let's you assign/customize functions for almost any button on the phone! Change your volume keys to page up/page down for easier one handed browsing, cause the red End key to not do anything unless you tap it two or three times rapidly to avoid accidental hang ups... so many great possibilities to really customize how you want your phone buttons to function. While there are SOME functions (nothing at all necessary) that require you to pay and register, the button reassignment functionality is 100% free.

GreenSoftware's Alarmclock: Very small (+/- 40k), very functional and easy to use alarm clock app. Blows the built in WM6 alarm function out of the water. Will loop any sound you choose to use for your alarm, has great customization options... just all around a great little program that has never failed to wake me up when I needed it! Could use the ability to play MP3's and set multiple alarms... those are the only shortcomings I can think of.

Get File Dialog Changer: This changes the way the "Get File Dialog" functions in WM6, i.e.: when you are saving a file from a link on a website, this will allow you to save it ANYWHERE, in any folder on the built in storage or memory card.

Quickmenu: Don't have this sweet little freeware app?!? GO DOWNLOAD THIS NOW!! Small (about 150k), doesn't even require a proper 'install', just copy the files to a directory of your choosing, and make a shortcut in your start menu folder. This app replaces the stock Start Menu with a multitiered, very configurable start menu. Easily access ALL of your programs quickly from the start menu. Also, you can make your PIE favorites appear in a sub menu on your start menu... very handy! It has a built in task manager for easily switching to or closing running tasks, and has other useful features such as the 'hibernation' option will will reclaim/free up RAM from running apps or ones you've already closed. Also has a RAM and battery meter you can have running up in the top right corner. This is easily one of my top 5 MUST HAVE apps and probably my #1 free app. It does so much that I can't believe it's free.

HTC SDHC hack: let's you use 4GB SDHC cards on your i760!

S2V: Alternate picture viewing application. Finger friendly in the iPhone style. Very small at just over 100k. Let's you easily view pics full screen, zoom, rotate... kind of limited on features (no file edit features such as cut/copy/paste/delete), but still very nice for such a small app.

AM Tasksplus: Another must have! This let's you display so much more info with the Tasks Today plugin, and is very configurable. Allows you to actually display all of your tasks on the today screen or however many you want, in the order you want, in the font size you want, broken up into the categories you want... makes the built in Task application SO much more useful.

Weather to Go: I've tried some of the other Pay For weather apps like SPB Weather and Weatherpanel... I found SPB's forecasts to generally not be very accurate, and Weather Panel just seemed overly complex and memory hungry. Weather to Go is free, very light on memory, and uses NOAA weather.gov, which is the same source that Weather Underground uses, and has proven to be VERY accurate in my own experience. Offers most of the same features as SPB weather, though admittedly, it's not as pretty.

BT Audio: simple little app that let's you play all of your phones audio through a mono (or stereo, of course) BT headset

Cleartemp: great, small app that will clean out your cache, junk files, cookies, some useless registry entries... can be set up to run automatically at startup... great app for keeping your internal memory as free as possible. Though SK Tools (also recommended and covered later in this post) does a lot more and is more configurable and also cleans out more stuff, I like to use both for various things... SK tools more for registry (provides much more detailed info on what it's doing) and PIM cleanup (easily clean out your text and mms messages, old emails), and Cleartemp more for internet files, 'frequently used apps' list on the start menu, and some other things.

Keep Recordin: nice, fast and free audio recorder

Morphgear: Some of the modules are not free, but the core app and many of the modules ARE free. Play NES, SNES, Genesis, GB/GBC/GBA, Turbografix, SMS and Game Gear games on your phone! Very configurable, all emulators do play very smoothly, generally WITH SOUND (SNES and Genesis play sorta slow with sound, but great without).

SpaceTime My Calculator: Scientific calculator, very useful and easy to use with a built in tutorial.

Oxios' memory app: Great app for freeing up RAM, I run this after I've been running other apps and have closed them out, and can regain several hundred K up to 2MB of ram.

PHM Regedit: Registry editor. Also allows you to backup and restore your registry. I like the registry editor in Total Commander (covered further down) more, but that's personal preference. PHM's works very similiarly to how a desktop PC's built in reg editor works, so some may like that more.

Pocket Nester: NES Emulator! I like the NES emulation on this better than the NES module on Morphgear, and Pocket Nester is 100% free! So I use this for NES instead. Runs most games 100% perfectly and lets you configure eveything you would want except maybe that it does not allow you to play in landscape mode (Morphgear does).

SK Tools Lite: IMO, another MUST HAVE. If I were only going to use either Cleartemp or this, this one wins hands down. It is so configurable and has so many features. It will clean temp files, PIE files, bad registry entries, bad shortcuts, easily clean PIM data (including text/email messages, appointments, tasks), has a nifty one click 'auto clean' feature.... really a must have free app that will keep your internal memory as clean as possible!

TCPMP with the Skunkworks flash plugin: 100% MUST HAVE!! Easily view Youtube/Google Videos on your phone! Just browse them through PIE, click the video you want, and you are prompted to either play the video or save it, just like that. Also supports a ton more file types than Windows Media Player Mobile. Such as MOV/quicktime files, flv/flash files, OGG files... almost any format out there. Almost...

Total Commander: Alternate File Explorer... though I still use the default WM file explorer more, I do love TC's built in Registry editor more than I like PHM regedit. TC also has other cool features, like the ability to split the screen in half and have two browse windows going simultaneously. Also let's you browse the built in ROM (though it doesn't allow you to edit it), and view .dll files that do not show up in the stock file explorer, even with the "Show All Files" option checked.

Google Maps: Another MUST HAVE. It integrates so well with the phone. Quickly look up almost any address or business. If you look up a business, it pulls up the address, phone number, website... all in clickable links. Click the phone number, and the phone app automatically starts and dials. Links open PIE automatically and take you to the business website. Another link allows you text message the address to someone else with one click. Easily look up directions and text those to someone else as well. How is this free?!?!?!?! Only downside... no GPS/my location support for the i760

My Extensions: Nice little app that lets you completely change file extension associations of any type of file.

Pocket RAR: Nice, small app that works with RAR and ZIP files... MUST HAVE! I've found lots of other apps that have built in ZIP functionality, but not too many that have RAR support. This handles both beautifully. Options list is light but has some really good, useful options.

Honorary mentions:

Windows Live Mobile - MSN messenger and hotmail on your phone... too much of a memory hog for me, but might be just what some are looking for.

Windows Live Search - like Google Maps, however, this allows you to look for businesses easily by category... so like if you're looking for something to do on a Friday night, very easy to find local late night hotspots, restaurants, you name it, without actually looking for specific business names. Even has a 'gas price' browser that lists local gas prices from least to highest!

Palm Threaded SMS app - from the XDA forums... makes text messages function more like a chat/IM client, where messages are organized into "conversations". Was a little buggy with randomly changing text size and sometimes sending a message it would get sent 2 or 3 times, but again, might be just what some are looking for (ex Palm users).

Flash Lite 2.1 - Play flash games and files on your phone (swf files)

JBlend Java - Java games and apps on your phone, but without sound and bottom 1/10th of the screen cut off Also try Jbed.

Well, that's all I got for now. For what it's worth, I am VERY picky about my apps... and generally avoid anything that behaves even slightly buggy, or is a memory hog... these apps all have performed more or less rock solidly on my phone, and I don't have any issues with the OS locking up or memory leaks (past the known i760 memory leaks, anyways). I've been running most of them for some time, and many of them from the memory card, and really have zero issues with any of them. I think anyone who needs the features of any of these above apps would be very satisified with them.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there!

Live Search DEFINITELY is better than Google Maps. you can save trhe addy/Phone # to contacts with Live. And it shows traffic Much better than google.

I do have both google maps and live search installed. they both have their advantages, definitely.

Another honorary mention:
    www.skweezer.net... I know, not an app, but a 100 percent free website/service. It 'mobilizes' any website, making it fit the cell phone screen so that you never need to scroll horizontally, but also 'shrinks' the site by lowering the quality of pictures, removing background graphics... it make s many pages load MUCH faster, andalso helps greatly with battery life, as it cuts down on the KB that gets dowloaded. I do most of my non-private/critical browsing thru Skweezer.

so, the pocket rar allows you to unzip files??

i'm new to all this and i don't know how to do jack on this phone.. i was trying to unzip some files the other day.. and would get whatever error... then i downloaded some free app through my browser that was supposed to allow you to zip/unzip files... BUT IT WAS SAVED AS A ZIP! so i couldn't get any where!!!

yes Pocket RAR and Total Commander will both unzip zipped files. Pocket RAR also can pack and unpack RAR files, another popular form of compression. Pocket Rar has more options.

gah i wish i new more about this stuff.. ..

thanks though!

Nice list, thanks for the info!!

You forgot one piece of freeware that is an absolute must, #1, download ASAP app that ALL PPC owners should have.

Advanced Configuration Tools V2.0.2.0

Speed up your phone with no reg edits. An amazing plethoa of options. There isn't a moneyware app that can do half of what this thing does.

There's so much freeware out there that I'm coming close to not needing any of the apps that I paid for.
    Last edited by alquimista; 04-01-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: I'm dumb
    I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob.

Great list.. I've been partial to TodayAgenda for my Today appointment/Task list.. and LVMTopBat for my battery meter. I still haven't decided on my favorite replacment for the Today screen time...
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

PFM
    What, no links?

Nice list though.

so i downloaded pocketrar371.exe

when i try to open it i get.

"pocketrar371 is not a valid pocket pc application."

am i doing something wrong?

sorry... I considered posting links, but as I've ben collecting these apps over several months, I couldn't even try to remember where they all came from. I do know that I got a lot of them from freewarepocketpc.com (.net? .org?).

thr pockerrar exe has to be installed thru your windows pc using activesync.. or google the cab version of pocket rar

Quote Originally Posted by bast525 View Post
    sorry... I considered posting links, but as I've ben collecting these apps over several months, I couldn't even try to remember where they all came from. I do know that I got a lot of them from freewarepocketpc.com (.net? .org?).

thr pockerrar exe has to be installed thru your windows pc using activesync.. or google the cab version of pocket rar
    ah, thanks.. i'll try that at home then... dumb that you can't just download straight to the phone... thanks again!

MGuzzy - thanks a ton for suggesting TodayAgenda!! This app completely outdo's and replaces AM Tasksplus, both overall as a better today plugin and app, and also by integrating calendar appointments and tasks into one easy to use list.

Definitely makes my list of Must Haves

Your Welcome.. For me it ended up replacing SPB Diary as it did more want I wanted without all the extraneous stuff. And Its also fairly recently updated!
    Mark

Hi, my first post here. I still have my XV6700 hemli edition to sale yet. But what I am looking for is the stuff missing like SPB Alarm to wake me up. I could not locate the Greenware Alarmclock mentioned above. My alarms are in wave. Also all the games and other software that hemli edition has. I don't suppose there is a loaded Kitchen ROM for the i760? Thanks, JASTECH

Post Links To Links

Quote Originally Posted by bast525 View Post

I have been combing the PPC freeware sites for.. well ever since I got my i760.

Here are the sites that I have found to be of use (I'll rate them on a scale of 1-5, 1 being damn near useless and 5 being an almost unachieveable ideal) -
    • PDAgold.com - I'll give it a 4.25. They only display like 8 apps per page. So its a bit laborious to just surf through 1200+ PPC apps. Also, there's no option to sort by rateing. They more than make up for their bulky navigation with alot of great apps, really nice screen shots, great descriptions, and being really up to date on the latest versions (you will almost never wind up on a page with a payware app unless you meant to go there). They also have a nice mobile version of their site.
    • MobileTopSoft.com - I'll give it a 2. They are a carbon copy of pocketpcfreeware.NET only with payware and a slightly niftyier looking site. They only display a minimal number of apps per page.
    • FreewarePocketPC.net - I'll give it a 2.5. They only show like 4 apps per page. Sometimes they have alot of duplicate posts, like for v3.2 and v3.1 of some apps. Not always up to date on what is the latest version of an app.
    • FreewarePPC.com - I'll give it a 3.5. This is probably the longest living freeware site for the pocket pc. The sheer amount of listings for apps is just mindboggleing. Their site is pretty clean, not alot of pomp and circumstance here. Just the basics and lost of em. They do need to move into the 21st century though. Their catagories break down nicely, but there aren't enough of them. Under "Utilities", "Enhancement" has 249 apps in it, and they aren't nearly all enhancements nor are they all really utilities. Another negative, is they list their pages on the top, so when you finish scrolling down you have to scroll back up again to go to the next page. They do however, not use screen shots until you click on "more" or the app title. This is good cause it cuts down on screen space. Title and description is all the info I need to either click or move on. Its the old school site design and app taggin that keep this site from being a 4, well that and sometimes they have links that go nowhere, or to a paid app.
    • PocketPCFreeware.com/en (note this is a french site with english translation.) - I'll give it a 3.75. This is like freewareppc v2.0, they have more up to date apps than freewarePPC and just plain more apps. There are alot of different ways to sort the listings, I especially like to sort by rateing. The site needs a facelift though. Also, some links lead to payware and some apps aren't the latest and greatest versions. Oh and the tags for the apps need to be broken out more (same problem with freewareppc). The French did soemthing right for a change?!?!?
    • FreeCABS.de - I'll give it a 1. The name says "freeCABS" not "freezips" or "freezips with 32bit executables in them". What gives? And sorting? Don't even think about it. Right now the only breakout of app type is "new" and "old".

That's what i've settled on so far. Sorry this is so sloppy but I have alot of work to do today.

L8S
    Last edited by alquimista; 04-04-2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: better link
    I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob.

Oh... This is one of my favorite PDA apps and its FREE!
    My Mobile - My Mobiler
    it allows you to display your PDA's screen on the desktop PC... I use for loading apps, transferring files, and whenever I need to review something that is in a program on my PDA. it become quite handy.. And currently since I have a cracked screen it gives me access to my texts, and call history!
    alquimista- nice list.. I'll have to look at mine and see if you missed anything!
    Mark

Anybody have some custom themes they would like to share? I ordered a 2gig MicroSD so that I can start loading stuff and not fill the phone up. Also, I hear there is a overslocking proggy for the HTC's and I wonder if it will work on the i760? I will look for the proggy and test it and let you know.
    Found this one, checking if it will work.
    ImmierSoft XCPUScalar - What's New?
    Last edited by JASTECH; 04-05-2008 at 06:55 PM.

none of the overclocking apps i've tried on this phone seem to work right and I've tried several. XCPU scalar was one of them and it definitely did NOT work