+ Reply to Thread

Price increase in i760?

Did anyone notice that 100 dollar increase in the price of the phone on the verizon website? I swear it was 349.99 with a 2 year contract a couple of days ago... now its 449.99 with a 2 year contract... That's so lame.... I was about to get the phone but now its SUPER expensive....

I was in a local Circuit City today and saw they had an i760 for $199. I didn't look that closely, but I assume it was with a 2 year agreement.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

It depends on the store type. I went into a contract store and they quoted me about 219 to upgrade my second line with the i760 (with another 2 years on that line). I then went to a corporate store where they treated me like crap and quoted me $420 on the exact same phone. I asked about the difference and they said that contract stores have different pricing. I laughed and walked out. The corporate stores is just like upgrading via their website. Go to a contract store if you can - they look like a normal verizon store.

Bat.

I paid $200 with a two year contract, plus another $50 off from that because i was eligible for an upgrade. So...$150

Will the contract stores honor the same discount coupons and what not as the corporate stores? I received an offer in the mail to take $100 off a PDA phone if I upgrade... Although I'd rather find the phone as cheaply as possible without having to renew my contract...

spiffy - That same contract store which offered me the better discount price for my second line also gave my wife the new every 2 discount of $100 of anything she wanted at the lower sale price. She picked up the EnV for $76 (sale price of $149.99) with a $50 mail in rebate. She was very happy to only pay $26 for that kind of a phone.

Bat.

i ended up getting mine at circuit city for 350 with a 50 mail in rebate. could have been cheaper except we used all our discounts to get my wife a Q9m that ended up being free. i went to the verizon store across the street and they wouldnt match. they wanted they 450 for the phone. their customer service at the verizon stores always seems t o suck. i find its easier to research myself and then just buy.

i grabbed mine for like 499 last month... but i received 100 in store credit for signing up for the unlimited data plan... 100 from my new every two agreement... and a 50 dollar mail in rebate.. so total i only spent 250 for mine...

When I was in the corporate store yesterday, the sales guy actually said to me that I might even be able to find better deals online or "elsewhere" -- it didn't register in my mind that non-corporate stores could offer different deals. I thought everyone had to offer the same discounts and pricing points.

Bat -- this may sound like a stupid question, but how do I tell if a store is contract? I know what a corporate store looks like; but I've never seen a contract store that is decorated to look the same as corporate... I read somewhere before that one can tell by the size of the letter Z on their signs, but I don't know if that's still true. Or did you go to one of those small mom & pop "XXXXX wireless" stores?

And seems like to get the real substantial discounts, we're talking 2 year contract sign up/renew, no? I think i760 is very nice; but I worry that if Samsung comes out with an upgraded model (more memory, better camera, Rev. A, etc.) I'd be stuck with i760 for two years...

Spiffy - I honestly have no idea about how to tell the difference between a corporate and contract store. Both places have actual store fronts and are not located in a mall or circuit city. The contract store was pretty small in comparison to the corporate store (like 1/4 the size). I didn't even know there was a difference until the asking price was quoted to me. They both had the same deal for new customers but very different prices for that second line. The contract store also said I had a month to wait for the deal and the corporate store said I was eligible now. Shrug

When it comes to that two year contract, you are just going to be stuck if you buy through them (usually the best and easiest deal). If you sign up and get the best deal and want something later, you can sell your original phone and use that money for the newer phone; or you can risk buying a used phone and then just activate it without the contract. I would opt for the used idea but getting a stolen or lost phone scares me as it could be blacklisted and thus no good.

I am stuck in the same boat now. I want the i760, but am always on the lookout for the next latest and greatest. I really hate to extend our two year plan at this point, but don't know what else to do for the best deal.

Bat.

mann 219 for an upgrade on a secondary line is a really good deal bat. I'm currently a secondary line on a family plan and thats why its so hard for me to find a good deal. The verizon customer service told me that if i was a primary account and signed up for the data plan I could get it for around 200... I guess I'll go try small shops that cover Verizon Network and see how the pricing is there.

Shooshi - Ya it was a good price and I mightl head back to get it. I have been researching the phone trying to find out as much as I can. I think it is the one I want and everyone with one seems to be very happy. I hope to have one soon.

Bat.

fyi

I seen letstalk.com has it for $50 with new account. Unfortunately I am upgrading but had to wait till 4-2-08 and the price went up, and no matter who or how many times I called they would not honor the lower price so I went with a used 1 mo. old phone for now, at least till the price goes down. grrr.

Registered Luser

Wow, the price has more than doubled!

A couple months ago, the price they were quoting me was $199.99 and a $50 mail in rebate. This morning, the best price they'll give me is $399.99 and no rebate! I was all set to order, but now, forget about it.

In Da Hizzle Fo Shizzle
    Forgive me if this common knowledge but at least with Verizon, u can upgrade the phone on any line in your family plan, then swap the equipment to your line. I've used this to get promotional prices for new phones forever. The online swap doesn't always work but customer support will swap it for you, no questions asked. They may charge a fee, $10-$20, but if your plan is expensive enough, they will waive the fee.

I am eyeing the i760 again but 1) I need to get a good price and 2) I need to know that there's a good screen lock app out there. I dumped my xv6700 because of accidental calls.

Buying online or over the phone is the way to go!!! You just have to get the right preson on the phone. I was up for New Every 2($100), data plan($100), online discount ($100), $50 mail in rebate(instant over the phone) = $350. A week ago when I purchased it was priced 349.99. So I was shipped one at no charge . Granted, out of 20-30 phone reps I talked to, only 1 did this for me. I didnt think it was real until I opened the FedEx box

Registered Luser
    Neither the online nor data discount are available on the i760 anymore.

Eww, that sucks!! Glad I bought the week before last

Registered Luser
    Looks like Verizon has cut the price by $130 dollars. It's now $319.99. The catch is that they're cut out the ADD discount (again) and there's no $50 rebate. So it's a net of $20 more expensive this week than it was last week. I've got to something soon. I have to soft reset my i730 every couple hours to keep it working.

it's actually worth $659 i think in the market, but i managed to get it for $219. the best thing to do is check to see the benefits you get with the company you work for. I get 20% off every month and the good phones for 50% off. that's only with sprint, verizon, and att.