+ Reply to Thread

Using the number pad to dial...

I'm not sure if it's just my phone or perhaps a normal behavior, but when I use the number keys to dial a number I have to press them carefully in order for them to be accepted. In other words when I dial a number a lot of the digits are skipped and it's very annoying.

Do you others with the i760 have problems dialing numbers?

Mine doesnt skip but has a delayed reaction for the first 3 or 4 numbers dialed....

Robert Tankersley
    Quote Originally Posted by captngizmo View Post
    I'm not sure if it's just my phone or perhaps a normal behavior, but when I use the number keys to dial a number I have to press them carefully in order for them to be accepted. In other words when I dial a number a lot of the digits are skipped and it's very annoying.

Do you others with the i760 have problems dialing numbers?
    What screen are you starting at to dial the numbers?
    Robert Tankersley CDP

I'm using the number pad - bottom right side of the phone. Typical use, I need to call someone not in my contacts I just grab the phone, press the wakeup button and dial on the number pad. I have to pay careful attention to make sure all the numbers are being entered.

xnight: I'd accept a delay, but in my case they are being skipped. It's like I have to hold the key for a second or so before the number is accepted. Somehow I think I may have a problem with my phone - not sure at this point since I don't have another one to compare to. The local VZW store doesn't stock them so...

my slide-out keyboard exhibits the same behavior. If I type just a little too fast on it, many of the characters I've entered will be skipped. It's pretty annoying when I'm try to quickly type a text message or email. Anyone else notice that or have a fix for that?
    Samsung SCH-i730 -> Treo 700w -> Samsung SCH-i760 -> Samsung Omnia (SCH-i910)

Robert Tankersley
    Quote Originally Posted by captngizmo View Post
    I'm using the number pad - bottom right side of the phone. Typical use, I need to call someone not in my contacts I just grab the phone, press the wakeup button and dial on the number pad. I have to pay careful attention to make sure all the numbers are being entered.

xnight: I'd accept a delay, but in my case they are being skipped. It's like I have to hold the key for a second or so before the number is accepted. Somehow I think I may have a problem with my phone - not sure at this point since I don't have another one to compare to. The local VZW store doesn't stock them so...
    Just to be sure I understand you. Wake up phone. Today screen is showing. Do not open contacts or phone screen. Press a number key. Is there a delay there?

If you open contacts first, the number keys do require a long press.
    Robert Tankersley CDP

Your suggestion is exactly how I typically use the phone, I wake it up, and then start pressing numbers to dial. To be honest, the problem appears to be random, the phone almost behaves as though it's very sluggish like too many apps running or something is stealing the cpu's time.

One note, I have found if the phone has been asleep for a while then the problem is prominent. Now if I press a number or two and then clear what I've pressed and press the okay button (button behind/below the end key) to exit the contact search I can then dial as expected. It appears to me the phone is slow to wake up so to speak but once you've opened/closed a program it seems to dial normally.

I suppose I can just chalk this up to a quirk, it's not really a big deal now that I've loaded the phone with my contact info, speed dials are my main thing normally. Just wish it was a little more peppy when dialing after waking the phone.

Thanks,

Larry

I have also encountered a serious sluggishness with the keyboard sometimes. I have not noticed on the dial pad, but it may be there. The problem appears randomly and is really annoying, but not fatal.

Quote Originally Posted by virtualdavid View Post
    I have also encountered a serious sluggishness with the keyboard sometimes. I have not noticed on the dial pad, but it may be there. The problem appears randomly and is really annoying, but not fatal.
    I have been searching around the registry for hours on end trying to figure out the key scancodes or how to get at them. I did notice an entry that had something to do with a delay for key presses. I don't know what or where it is offhand, but if somebody wants to try tweaking the setting I can try to find it again.

No, I do not have the balls to fiddle with this myself.

AS far as responsiveness, I've found that the less today plugins you use the faster the phone in general. Also, apps that run in the background suck up speed. Stuff like shell mods are huge memory suckers. Actually the best apps (speed wise) are ones that you don't have to install.

Anyone else notice that "Idle Processes" take up most of the CPU cycles?
    I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob.