+ Reply to Thread

Need Serious Activesync Help

4 days ago my computer stopped recognizing my i760 and everytime I plugged in the USB to my computer it would state "USB device cannot be recognized".

Next I tried to unintall activesync and then reinstall it. That didnt help either, so I deleted the partnership on the PC and the phone and lost all mony contacts and schedules. The good thing is they are all on my outlook, the bad thing is I have no partnership and still cannot get the USB to work so I can setup a new partnership.

I called Verizon and they tried everything, but couldnt get it to work. Is there anyway to get activesync to work again? I dont know if its the phone or my computer, but I got the same error on all 6 USB locations on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nish4x View Post
    4 days ago my computer stopped recognizing my i760 and everytime I plugged in the USB to my computer it would state "USB device cannot be recognized".

Next I tried to unintall activesync and then reinstall it. That didnt help either, so I deleted the partnership on the PC and the phone and lost all mony contacts and schedules. The good thing is they are all on my outlook, the bad thing is I have no partnership and still cannot get the USB to work so I can setup a new partnership.

I called Verizon and they tried everything, but couldnt get it to work. Is there anyway to get activesync to work again? I dont know if its the phone or my computer, but I got the same error on all 6 USB locations on my computer.
    Had a similar experience a while back. I was using a powered USB hub and found out the power cord had become disconnected. Also had a USB board in the computer go bad one time. Do other USB devices work on your USB locations? Also, check your settings in the phone. They sometimes have a way of mysteriously changing by themselves.

Yeah, other USB devices work fine. I think all the settings are right, I know the USB to PC settings are right. I did a soft reset and that didnt work, so I tried a hard reset and my computer doesnt detect the phone at all, not even the unrecognized USB device anymore..

go to start click on setting go to connections click on usb to pc and uncheck enable advanced network functionality

Quote Originally Posted by rattbozz View Post
    go to start click on setting go to connections click on usb to pc and uncheck enable advanced network functionality
    Tried that and changing the data connection to as the modem through the USB. Neither worked.

Are you using a desktop cradle or just a USB cable? If the former, make sure the USB cable is securely attached to the cradle; I know my USB cable has a tendancy to come loose from the cradle (very poor design IMHO). If you're using a USB cable without a cradle and have access to another USB cable or a desktop cradle, I would try swapping out the cable you're currently using.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

I am using the usb cable. I called Verizon and they are just going to send me a replacement. Hopefully thats works.

Have you tried a different USB port on your PC? Or I've seen where the USB device drivers will get corrupt/confused. Try power off your PC (with a kill switch or unplug it from the wall) and then turning it on with the phone NOT plugged in. that way the PC won't try to inherit any corrupt settings and will detect the phone "anew" when you plug it in. This works for grumpy USB printers as well.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Have you or your company added a Cisco VPN Client to the PC? This software stops Activesync from getting an IP address and you get the "USB device cannot be recognized" message. You have to stop the VPN Client services and manually start them when needed.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

Quote Originally Posted by MGuzzy View Post
    Have you tried a different USB port on your PC? Or I've seen where the USB device drivers will get corrupt/confused. Try power off your PC (with a kill switch or unplug it from the wall) and then turning it on with the phone NOT plugged in. that way the PC won't try to inherit any corrupt settings and will detect the phone "anew" when you plug it in. This works for grumpy USB printers as well.
    Mark
    Tried that, didnt work either.

Quote Originally Posted by jfourman View Post
    Have you or your company added a Cisco VPN Client to the PC? This software stops Activesync from getting an IP address and you get the "USB device cannot be recognized" message. You have to stop the VPN Client services and manually start them when needed.
    Its my personal computer so I dont have Cisco, but is there anything else that could be stopping it from getting an IP address?

First off if I may and might have missed it but what OS on the PC so I know what your dealing with?
    Do you have a firewall? Or any other security on the PC that could have updated and now stops the i760? Thanks, JASTECH

I am using XP Pro. I have Kasperky antivirus, but I turned that and windows firewall off and it still doesnt connect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nish4x View Post
    I am using XP Pro. I have Kasperky antivirus, but I turned that and windows firewall off and it still doesnt connect.
    If you have access to another XP machine, you could try installing Activesync on it and see if you can connect to it. I had a laptop that would connect and a desktop that would not. I finally got the desktop to connect, but I forget just what I had to do in that case.

Nish4x, is that one of the betas of Kaspersky? Sometimes I had to "Exit" Kaspersky in order for thing to connect. For some reason it still stops them. I am beta testing KIS 8.315 at the moment. Also did yoiu make sure your Outlook is working? I would add a few contacts in it just to make sure.

Hi there,

I really feel your pain. I mistakenly soft reset my i760 today and when I attached it to my laptop, it wouldn't connect. Activesync would come up, the green swirly would go, and then it would stop without any error. I freaked, and for the last 10 hours have uninstalled and reinstalled many things. This is what worked:

Thank to O'Reilly's XP hacks for this tip to help uninstall disconnected USB devices.

Right click on My Computer, go to the Advanced tab, then system environment variables.
    Add: "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices"
    Value:1

Now open device manager, go to view, and show hidden devices.
    At the bottom is a listing for Windows CE devices, delete your device.

Restart

Turn off your firewall

I'll say that again, turn off, disable, kill your firewall at least for the first resync.

Reinstall Activesync keeping your device unplugged.

Reboot.

Then reattach device.

This finally worked for me a few minutes ago.

Good Luck