+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Slow motion screen crack

Well I picked up my phone the other day while at a clients to input some information and the screen was all washed out... like a white screen of death. My first instinct was to give it a tap and see if some App was doing something odd and a line slowly propgated across the screen followed by what can only be described as the acid trip backdrop to a Jimi Hendrix concert! I think I just witnessed an LCD screen crack! The phone works fine, in fact I can see the screen perfect via my PC using My Mobiler. What is odd is I've never dropped this phone (at least not yet), and its nary three months old, so I'm thinking its a warranty thing. But I went by VZW and they say any screen cracks, even if it is a defect, is sent to insurance, huh? I will be very grumpy if they force me to pay a deductible on something that should be a warranty issue... We'll see as I'm off to another store today for a second opinion.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

A second opinion sounds like a long shot to me, I would just be happy if you have insurance and you dont have to pay full retail ($550?!)

I think your best option is to try to pin them down on a new replacement versus a refurbished if its an insurance issue....

if I were you, and they tried to make you pay full retail... I'd point out that the early termination fee + a new phone with another carrier with a new contract is much cheaper than the price of an i760.

From what I have seen here it likely got hit on the side. We've seen a couple of 760s do this at my company. Likely it got hit while it was in your pocket or bumped when it was on your hip.

Thanks for the input guys.. We'll it seems that a cracked screen gets you sent to insurance (if you have it, and yes I have it, $50 deductible) even if the crack results from an apparent defect.. It was explained to me that that is the arrangement with warranty exchanges with their supplier.
    I guess the phone could have been bumped as Froggmann suggests but it was working when I put it on the desk and when I went back to it several minutes later the screen was whited out! Followed by the slow motion crack when I tapped the screen. Now if you're seeing these things fail like this that sounds like a design defect... Oh well off to call Assurion and do the dance for a new phone!
    Mark

Decide on what you want to get from Verizon and keep at it. If you talk to enough people one of them will agree to help you. There always the BBB to help.

If it's truly a defect, I think VZW and/or Samsung should exchange the unit for. I'd demand that VZW provide you with a copy of the manufacturer's warranty (if you don't have a copy already) and that you read it closely. If you don't get satisfaction with VZW, try Samsung.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    If it's truly a defect, I think VZW and/or Samsung should exchange the unit for. I'd demand that VZW provide you with a copy of the manufacturer's warranty (if you don't have a copy already) and that you read it closely. If you don't get satisfaction with VZW, try Samsung.
    Thanks for the ideas.. but I didn't have to demand anything from VZW other than some logic.. On your encouragement I went back in for a third opinion.. and I got the same whole cracked screen lecture, this time I explained that if the phone was sitting on the table untouched and it developed this issue how could be anything but a defect... an improperly mounted LCD for example. He agreed it was a possibility, updated my account notes and sent me off to call Wireless Data Tech support for a replacement, the one voice of reason at VZW... I explained the issue to them as well and he agreed to send a replacement, but added that after Samsung reviews the device they may come back and request the non-warranty charge ($50) for the replacement. I don't know how likely that would be but I would be no worse off than if I went through Insurance. So we'll see what I get now.. I expect it on Monday or Tuesday.
    Mark

same thing happened to me only 3 days after buying phone. convinced store manager to replace w/o deductible. i have a feeling this is a defect; my phone had NO hard bumps.

Watch out with assurion, verizon's insurance is a piece of crap. I had a 9800 replaced through their insurance and the sent back a phone that was markedly different than the 9800 (no verizon sign, cheaper buttons, crappier paint: basically im pretty sure it was a fake) with a battery. I put the battery in and it gives me a use correct battery warning. So i bring that phone in to complain and verizon has the gal to lecture me about not using other batteries in the phone. I tell them thats what THEIR insurance company gave me, after about 2 hours of arguing they gave me a new phone...went in 3 days later to pick up my i760 :-p. Anyway sorry for the rant but be warned about assurion

Contrary to pwnage135's experience, I had a VX9800 as well and unknowingly decided to take it wakeboarding with me in the Mon river. I had no issues whatsoever with Assurion replacing it. In fact, the 1st replacement they sent had a software issue (it was version 5.0) so they sent me out another one (both overnighted) with an older software version (allowed for more hacks) in no time.

I have a few friends that have the same phone and 2 of them have had replacements. Along with mine and the ones on this board its seems way to common.

I have been through 2 units. I believe I caught the first one before it had a chance to spread and was just a spot. this on they replaced for free. The second one was just like yours. set it on my desk at work after just having been on the phone and looked at it about 10 minutes later and.... wham O. cracked screen.

The deal (as I see it) with VZW seams to be that if there is even the slightest indication of a drop,scratch or bump it must have been your fault. The problem I have is that I could have used my I730 as a football and it still worked.
    -Jonas

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

I wonder if having the rubberized case/skin on it would help persuade VZN it was not do to bumps or dropage? Just a thought.
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

I had the same thought so I got one. Has a nice feel and has already helped once
    -Jonas

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

I still need one and the desktop charger that does the extra battery and a few other things but my wife won't let me get thin until I sale my XV6700 with all the extras that I just had bought. This sucks! So I put it on Garage Sale here. Best Offer I will have to do to get my extras
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

We'll here's another chapter in this story... I ordered a replacement on Friday but they couldn't get the order shipped until Monday... so they said it would be delivered on Tuesday... alas it missed the Fedex Delivery truck so I didn't get it until Wed! Now I couldn't get to activating and transfering all my stuff till today... grunt! I recieved just a phone, no batteries or cables.. there was a stylus so I'll get an extra one of those out of the deal. Other than that the phone looks new.
    Anyway I used a little app called PIMbackup to backup my text's, call history and speed dials from my old phone and transfered them to my new phone ... It worked great! The guy at VZW WDTS suggested this little program and it worked like a charm.. it will also backup and restore Tasks, Contacts and appointments. But I didn't need to use that feature as those Items were transfered with my first Sync.Here are a couple of links to PIMBackup:
    FreewarePPC.com - Freeware Pocket PC / Freeware Windows Mobile: PIM Backup v2.8
    [NEW] PIM Backup v2.8 [NEW] - xda-developers

Mark

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Mark,

Sorry to hear about your problem.
    I'm glad it's working out for you.

If it happened to me, It would be the final straw on the camel's back to get me to jump to AT&T and the iPhone.

Take care-

Mark

Comfortably Converged
    I had the same thing happen to my phone a few weeks ago. Very interesting. Unfortunately I don't have insurance. I did take it apart but the ribbon cable looked to be soldered to the processor so I didn't mess with it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by sixftunda View Post
    I had the same thing happen to my phone a few weeks ago. Very interesting. Unfortunately I don't have insurance. I did take it apart but the ribbon cable looked to be soldered to the processor so I didn't mess with it anymore.
    Six...
    Your phone should still be under the 1 yr warranty window... so get Vzw to cover it under a warranty exchange.. as I said in my posts ... if it developed this behavior while sitting on the desk it has to be a defect.. and they agreed... Oh and BTW don't tell them you disassembled it... that will surely kill your warranty!
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by MGuzzy View Post
    Six...
    Your phone should still be under the 1 yr warranty window... so get Vzw to cover it under a warranty exchange.. as I said in my posts ... if it developed this behavior while sitting on the desk it has to be a defect.. and they agreed... Oh and BTW don't tell them you disassembled it... that will surely kill your warranty!
    mark
    Having now read this thread a couple of times, particularly your first post, I sort of (emphasize "sort of") understand where VZW was coming from. I think I too would be suspicious if a customer came in with a broken screen like you describe. The naturally tendency would be to believe that the "crack" was the result of droppage because screens typically (emphasis on "typically") don't develop cracks from just sitting on a desk.

That all said, if I were VZW, I would give the customer the benefit of the doubt if the customer said that he did not drop the phone (unless the customer had a history of defective/broken phones).

Just offering a slightly different perspective FWIW....

I'm glad, Mark, they eventually sent you a new one; it shouldn't have taken them so long, though. What ever happened to customer service?????
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)