+ Reply to Thread

Like the phone but wish...

Have had the 760 for two weeks. Comin over from Treo 650. Really like the phone but wish that:

1. Could find an alternative to topside on/off button. Wow does that slow use down...

2. When adding a new contact, wish when in any number field the front dialpad would be smart enough to know I am typing numbers...

Am I missing something?

Thanks

The on/off button takes some getting used to; but after awhile, I don't think you will find it a problem.

To type numbers in the contact field, you have 2 choices: 1) press the * key until the indicator on the system tray shows a "number" indicator or 2) hold the key for a long press and it will type the number.
    i760 (i730 upgrader)

To make the buttons easier to find I put one of those little jewel bling stickers on the top button and the CLR button. Its made it a lot easier to find them by feel.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

yeah, the button on top is weird at first, but after a little bit it just becomes second habit. It really is the best place for it to be, because it's almost impossible to accidently hit and call someone from your pocket or whatnot.

and when adding a contact, what exactly do you mean? when you're on the edit screen? I've never had trouble with this, so I don't know exactly where you are having difficulty

rbyham is right; Windows should be smarter

dwight, i believe rbyham is commenting that while phone closed, and adding or editing a contact record in Outlook, you might think that Outlook would be smart enough to recognize key presses on the number pad as numbers for certain fields (eg, phone numbers). However, you would be mistaken; it doesnt know to use numbers even if in a phone number field. Maybe it isnt a bug, but a feature, since you could want to enter a phone number as a word, such as 800-verizon or something like that.

Rbyham, i have made the mistake of typing in a mess of letters for a phone number, too. I think jfourman gave us a good tip, tho -- hold down the number key, and get a number. Thanks, jfourman!
    Last edited by ste_bran; 04-06-2008 at 03:46 AM. Reason: typographic error

Thanks folks... exactly... my treo 650 when adding a new candidate knew when I was in a number field and so gave me numbers... when in a letter field the 650 keyboard would give me letters... I am getting used to the top button but wish the add new contact piece was smarter...

Although this has already been alluded to, no one has stated it outright: The front keypad becomes a dedicated numeric keypad when the keyboard slider is open.

I understand that some people insist on using the device one-handed, and that having the keyboard out just doesn't work for those folks. However, the problem being discussed isn't an issue when the phone is used two-handed. Furthermore, I'm betting that the designers assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the majority of users would use the keyboard/keypad combo for anything other than very minor input. Again: I understand that this doesn't help the one-handers, but maybe the device was intended for primarily two-handed use?

Dzanda, I agree with you. It seems the "fad" at this time is to text message accross the dinning room table instead of opening your mouth and talking. I see it all over the place and laugh when I see people run into things because they have to text instead of calling and talking. JMHO
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester