+ Reply to Thread

Post Alquimista List o Freeware Sites

I have been combing the PPC freeware sites for.. well ever since I got my i760.

Here are the sites that I have found to be of use (I'll rate them on a scale of 1-5, 1 being damn near useless and 5 being an almost unachieveable ideal) -
    • PDAgold.com - I'll give it a 4.25. They only display like 8 apps per page. So its a bit laborious to just surf through 1200+ PPC apps. Also, there's no option to sort by rateing. They more than make up for their bulky navigation with alot of great apps, really nice screen shots, great descriptions, and being really up to date on the latest versions (you will almost never wind up on a page with a payware app unless you meant to go there). They also have a nice mobile version of their site.
    • MobileTopSoft.com - I'll give it a 2. They are a carbon copy of pocketpcfreeware.NET only with payware and a slightly niftyier looking site. They only display a minimal number of apps per page.
    • FreewarePocketPC.net - I'll give it a 2.5. They only show like 4 apps per page. Sometimes they have alot of duplicate posts, like for v3.2 and v3.1 of some apps. Not always up to date on what is the latest version of an app.
    • FreewarePPC.com - I'll give it a 3.5. This is probably the longest living freeware site for the pocket pc. The sheer amount of listings for apps is just mindboggleing. Their site is pretty clean, not alot of pomp and circumstance here. Just the basics and lost of em. They do need to move into the 21st century though. Their catagories break down nicely, but there aren't enough of them. Under "Utilities", "Enhancement" has 249 apps in it, and they aren't nearly all enhancements nor are they all really utilities. Another negative, is they list their pages on the top, so when you finish scrolling down you have to scroll back up again to go to the next page. They do however, not use screen shots until you click on "more" or the app title. This is good cause it cuts down on screen space. Title and description is all the info I need to either click or move on. Its the old school site design and app taggin that keep this site from being a 4, well that and sometimes they have links that go nowhere, or to a paid app.
    • PocketPCFreeware.com/en (note this is a french site with english translation.) - I'll give it a 3.75. This is like freewareppc v2.0, they have more up to date apps than freewarePPC and just plain more apps. There are alot of different ways to sort the listings, I especially like to sort by rateing. The site needs a facelift though. Also, some links lead to payware and some apps aren't the latest and greatest versions. Oh and the tags for the apps need to be broken out more (same problem with freewareppc). The French did soemthing right for a change?!?!?
    • FreeCABS.de - I'll give it a 1. The name says "freeCABS" not "freezips" or "freezips with 32bit executables in them". What gives? And sorting? Don't even think about it. Right now the only breakout of app type is "new" and "old".

That's what i've settled on so far. Sorry this is so sloppy but I have alot of work to do today.

Feel free to post sites that you think deserve a mention on the short list here. Also, rate them on the same scale. I am looking ffor that magic number 5!!
    I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob.

Thanks for sharing, I just got my phone Monday and have been adding stuff to it and constantly looking for more.

Question thx!

Quote Originally Posted by MGuzzy View Post
    OK... I went through my bookmarks folder to add a few to your list... I'll not rate my additions only to say that these are some other sites I've found.. The ones in your list I tend to frequent more often!

share and enjoy!
    Mark
    McGuzzy, hope you don't mind but, I cleaned up your list of additions. I know you probably don't have time to summarize and rate them all, but could you just give them like a "noob friendly" or "kinda sucks" or something? If not, no worries. Half the fun of getting freeware is the hunt

L8s.
    I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob.