+ Reply to Thread

Device going to "Logon to server" screen

Any help with this would be appreciated.

I don't use my SCH-i760 the way I am sure that many of you do. I don't want to completely connected to work all the time and get e-mails all the time. I bought it so I could Wi-Fi at Hot spots without having to pull out my laptop all the time. I disabled the setting so that it does not go out to the verizon network.

The past few days, every 15 seconds or so, the screen for "login to server" pops up (taking over the whole screen) and goes away a little later. While this is a minor annoyance, I am worried about a virus or something similar that is causing it to try to send on my device. Everything I have heard about these phones says they should not get a virus, but who knows.

I've done a hard reset (according to the book) but was wondering what else I can do to stop this from happening.

Thanks

I had this happening to my phone for awhile, I'm pretty sure that you have to enter the password - vzw this will stop that screen from popping up. It's not likely to be a virus, so you should be able to relax.

JR

There was another thread on this, and I don't think it was ever definitively solved. The problem still surfaces from time to time, like a whale coming up for air periodically. Typing something in and checking the "Save Password" box makes it go away for a while, but it eventually comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    There was another thread on this, and I don't think it was ever definitively solved. The problem still surfaces from time to time, like a whale coming up for air periodically. Typing something in and checking the "Save Password" box makes it go away for a while, but it eventually comes back.
    This happens to me when Im out of the verizon network and on an extended network where the user/pass is not valid.

It also happened to me in the vzw network and I fixed it by going into wifi/network adapters/remote ndis/use specific address and subnet. I used a 169.254.2.1 address and a 255.255.255.0 subnet.

I too have this same problem. I have the Unlimited Data Plan and at least once every day I get the "network logon" box popup. Every day I enter my password and the enable the "remember password" check box but the logon box eventually re-appears the next day.

This kind of defeats the purpose of using the push/sync email client for work as it can go many hours or me not noticing the logon box has appeared because I haven't turned my screen on to see it.

I would love to know if anyone has found any fixes for this.

Thanks,
    T

Anybody figure anything out on this one..... I found you don't even have to enter anything, just hit cancel, and it goes away. Sure is a pain.
    Last edited by akeeping; 06-10-2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: word missing

Search ..... but try this ... Start> Settings> Sounds & Notifications> Notifications> Connection Established and DESELECT appropriate check boxes namely "Display Message On Screen"

Search? I did search..... That's where I came up with this old thread where everybody seems to have the problem but no one knows why it happens or what the solution might be. Thanks for your "notifications" idea, but that was the first thing I tried. I would be curious to know if others who are affected ever tried hitting cancel two or three times rather than putting in a password and saving it. I did try the work around in post#4. Still had the same behaviour. Logs on to internet fine, but in a few seconds the logon screen pops up. Hit cancel a few times and it goes away for awhile. Has anyone else tried anything else that helps......

do you have some accounts showing up in your messaging screen? If t hey are there, but not configured, they are trying to sync even though they are not configured totally. I had this happen to me one time when my password had expired at work. I also had it happen when i tried to get rid of email syncing and tried just deleting all of the information from the outlook account. It didn't work, you have to totally remove that account from the messaging screen for it to go away.

do you have some accounts showing up in your messaging screen? If t hey are there, but not configured, they are trying to sync even though they are not configured totally.
    Ditto ... Go in to connections and delete any unused accounts.
    "My Hovercraft Is Full Of Eels" - John Cleese

Just checking in to say that my device is exhibiting the exact same issue as of late. Mine was completely virgin (if you can believe it! I simply didn't have time to play with her) for the first month I had her and up until then she had absolutely no problems or quirky behaviors. The one thing that changed with my device was my adding the SDHC "hack" and ever since then I've had strange issues where the thing won't go to sleep and then keeps trying to connect to Broadband Access (I have a data block - I'm a geek for a living and always in hot spots). Over the past few days it's started popping up the PW screen to connect to the network. I went into the Connections manager and told it to stop looking for Broadband Access - but at this rate I expect it to find a new way to annoy me soon. When I have time for my own technology as opposed to that of my clients, I plan on digging around and trying to sort out the issue once and for all. I'll post if I find anything. Grr.

I've been struggling with this for a month or so. I finally did a "clear all data" reset (power on while holding the action button down), and it went away. Minor inconvenience to get my stuff back on the phone, but well worth it.

Remember to make sure you won't lose something you can't live without before you do this!