+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Contacts Backup Linux User

I need to back up my contacts so I can hard reset my phone. Basically what has happened is I am no longer allowed to install, uninstall, or delete anything. This started happening after my trial of SPB Mobile Shell expired. I don't know if it's linked, but I contacted them and they are pretty useless. I'm a Linux user, so what options do I have for backing up my contacts, preferably online. I've tried ZYB and something else, but neither site has our phone. Any thoughts? I might just have to install the stuff onto my girlfriend's Vista computer.

Thanks,

Pat

Why can't you install/uninstall/delete anything?

I have no idea. That's why I'm going to do a hard reset. I never have. Hopefully it will also allow me to get MMS. That's a different problem though. If only I could put Linux on the phone lol.

Search these forums for backing up PIM.VOL to a storage card. That is another way to go.

I recommend Sprite Backup.
    They have a lite version that would fit your needs. Doesn't have the backup to desktop, but since you have Linux, that isn't a problem.

Then there is installing VMWare and running XP with Outlook just to keep a backup of your data.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

It's not online, but XDA has a tool that will back up ALL you PIM information, including contacts, tasks, sms, etc. It runs on the phone, so it is OS indepenant. Just make sure you don't restore any catergory that you are also syncing to an Exchange server or else you will get duplicate information!

[NEW] PIM Backup v2.8 [NEW] - xda-developers

Well I tried to backup the PIM.VOL file onto a card. I don't have write access on anything on the phone. I can't move, copy, delete, or uninstall anything. I think I'm going to just have to back up my contacts the old fashion way...with a word document and a lot of time...

pmurph,

Did you try the PIM Backup tool I linked? It doesn't require you to run anything, so as long as your phone can still run applications, it should work for you...

Yes, I tried to download the .zip straight to my phone, the way the thread instructs. My phone tells me that the file type is not supported. I think it has to do with my problem.