+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I760 in Japan?

I760 in Japan?

OK. I know this is a foolish question but had to ask. I was told by Verizon that I could for example easily roam in Korea, another CDMA country. Now I know that Japanese CDMA is mostly different than ours, but I also notice that Japan compatible phones sold in the US (usually triband) have some sort of 3G or EV-DO (it can be confusing). Since the I-760 has 3G-EVDO could it by any chance roam in Japan too? Thanks in advance.

David62,

My i760 works fine in Korea for voice and text. It roams automatically on SK Telecom's 800 MHz network. It also works on WiFi everywhere.

I have not been to Japan since I got the i760. There are some non-Japanese CDMA phones which will work on KDDI's Au network, but not many. The KDDI 800 MHz CDMA network has the Rx and Tx frequencies reversed. My guess is that the i760 will not work in Japan.

Both Softbank and DoCoMo operate 2,100 MHz wCDMA networks. Any handset with this wCDMA/HSDPA frequency could roam in Japan. There are only a few AT&T handsets which have this frequency. One is made by Samsung (Black Jack II) and the other two are made by HTC. 3G Handsets made for the Euro-Asian market will have 2,100 MHz HSDPA and can roam in Japan.

I went to japan about a month ago... although the i760 worked great for wifi, I never got a cell connection.

There you go.

Thanks Bugwart and Zachman for the responses! Very helpful. Looking for an inexpensive unlocked quad or triband phone I can get on Ebay that will work in Europe. Since my I760 will will not work in Japan, maybe I should aim for one that will also work there, but I think most of those will cost a lot more. Bugwart, do you know which other phones made for the Euro-Asian market also have 2100 HSDPA?

Any "GSM" phone with "3G" which is built for the Euro-Asian market should roam in Japan. Europe and Asia use the 2,100 MHz frequency for wCDMA/HSDPA.