+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Data Connection Stalls

I have been a long time i760 user and after my first one crapped out and was replaced, I never got around to tricking it out like I did the first one. There wasone thing that bugged me about both phones and that is this:

On a regular basis I (at least daily) my network connection will hang. it wills till show as connected EVDO but OTH sync will fail, IE will hang, etc. the problem is that I often don't notice it for a few hours when I wonder why I haven't gotten any new mail. EVDO shows as connected/dormant and so I can't disconnect. I have to turn off the phone from wireless connections to get things moving again.

Since this was a regular occurence on both phones, I beleive it is not HW related. Since it continues to happen on my current phone with no third party apps installed, I think it must be OS related.

I know I have seen others post on this and I have posted a long time ago, but I can't seem to find those posts and never saw any suggestions or resolutions.

Has anyone else seen this? Any thoughts on how to fix or even diagnose the issue?

Epic Geek
    Happens to me all the time. They have replaced my device 3 times and done numerous things to my account. A brand new one is being shipped to my office tomorrow.

It worked flawlessly for a while and the last 2 replacement devices have done the exact same thing. a soft reset or simply turning the phone radio off and back on.

Robert Tankersley
    Quote Originally Posted by depressedVZWuse View Post
    Happens to me all the time. They have replaced my device 3 times and done numerous things to my account. A brand new one is being shipped to my office tomorrow.

It worked flawlessly for a while and the last 2 replacement devices have done the exact same thing. a soft reset or simply turning the phone radio off and back on.

I have a theory. It appears this happens after I have been in a low signal (border line area). I wonder if after posting 1 error in retrieval, connection manager keeps seeing that error. I have seen this posted on several different hardware boxes but on the Verizon network. It could be on Verizon's side?

By the way, if you do not want to turn the phone off and back on, you can touch the connection manager and tap disconnect. Then do a send and it will redial and work.
    Robert Tankersley CDP

Happens to me all the time as well. I've seen posts from users of other WM6 devices complaining of the same issue. Tapping disconnect from connection mgr also works for me. Would LOVE to see someone come up with some kind of workaround. Maybe a utility that would force a disconnect every so often?

Question: do you guys activesync your phones with your desktop?

I do not. Just do push mail over the air from my corporate exchange server to my phone.

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggmann View Post
    I also do active sync OTA push mail. I do tether occasionally but have not for some time.

Oh ok personally I have noticed the data connection will not work after teathering/syncing.

Interesting, because I am also OTA only. When I say I turn off the phone, I meant I turn off the radio using the connection manager.

So it sounds like we all have the same problem - so I am not alone. Now on to a fix.

I lso have my root filled with Phone Fatal error logs, but they are not lined up with my freezes so I am unsure it is related (they could just be errors from other events).

Since my voice line works fine during one of the freezesI expect it is a SW problem with the EVDO data connection don't see much 1X so not sure there).

Any other insight into a) a cause or b) a fix? I am going to try one of the progs that shortens the time to disconnect on no data use and see if that helps.

ASK

Robert Tankersley
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggmann View Post
    I do pop3 from one account every 30 minutes.

I do activesync with an exchange server every 15 minutes.

The disconnect is very infrequent. It almost always has been after I have been in a low signal area for some time - (meeting room inside large building with many walls between me and outside world).
    Robert Tankersley CDP

Epic Geek
    They reprovisioned my account and it didn't seem to work. They sent me a 6800 to try and I set it up but it bricked the next morning. Doesn't matter, after some months with the 760 I HATE the 6800, everything about it is not as convenient as the 760. That keyboard blows and the button placement at all 4 corners of the device is horrible.

But I will be back on the phone with VZW support tomorrow, I may reactivate my Treo 700wx for a few days to see if it is definitely the device.

I think it must be a problem with the Data Connection app. If I can get it to pop up with the "disconnect" button active, shutting it down allows it to re-connect and work fine. I have tried killing other processes (thinking one was locking it) but no luck.

I would like to fix it, but would settle for a way to just kill the process easily. What is the Exe name, anyone know?

Epic Geek
    Interesting occurance today. I work in IT for a large corporation. My exchange mailbox was moved from Exchange 2003 SP2 to Exchange 2007 Pilot today. My data connection has not stalled since 9am (12 hours now) and is still running strong since being moved to the new 2007 server.

Not saying its fixed, just saying something that happened at least twice a day for a LONG time, did not occur today. I would like to know if others that typically get the data stall issue did or did not have it occur today.

If this is indeed the situation it would possibly point a finger at something in the active sync code on the device, or something that VZW tweaked to implement their wireless sync maybe.

depressed, that would be good to know, maybe they will switch all i760 users to the new 700mhz band? NOT, that would be nice though.
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

Epic Geek
    another day and no data stalls. Curiouser and curiouser.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by askme233 View Post
    I think it must be a problem with the Data Connection app. If I can get it to pop up with the "disconnect" button active, shutting it down allows it to re-connect and work fine. I have tried killing other processes (thinking one was locking it) but no luck.

I would like to fix it, but would settle for a way to just kill the process easily. What is the Exe name, anyone know?
    I haven't had any problems with data connections stalls. However, I don't use push mail or OTA activesync.

As for an app to quickly kill your connection. Schaps Advanced Configuration Tools has an option too set up your END button so a double click will disconnect your OTA (non wifi) data connection. You can also set your broadband connection to disconnect every Xminutes. It also has alot of other settings and tweaks that may help you out. I've made all kinds of changes with this app and had no problems with my i760 yet, so its a pretty damn solid app.

Best of luck.
    I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob.

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by alquimista View Post
    I haven't had any problems with data connections stalls. However, I don't use push mail or OTA activesync.

As for an app to quickly kill your connection. Schaps Advanced Configuration Tools has an option too set up your END button so a double click will disconnect your OTA (non wifi) data connection. You can also set your broadband connection to disconnect every Xminutes. It also has alot of other settings and tweaks that may help you out. I've made all kinds of changes with this app and had no problems with my i760 yet, so its a pretty damn solid app.

Best of luck.

Thats what I am wondering if the "data stalls" are exchange active sync related. It has now been 2 1/2 days and still no stalls and I am using my push mail extensively connected to Exchange 2007 with full HTML mail enabled.

depressedVZWuse,
    Yeah, I think you may be onto something.. We are on 2003 SP2 and the few i760s we have, do the whole stall thing. (I've also noticed it a time or two on all the 700wx's we have, but some of that can be traced back to older firmware that had its own connection problems.)

I just do desktop/mobile device support so I don't have any interaction with the server side, so I wonder if our direct push setup on 2003 isn't quite tweaked right.

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    depressedVZWuse,
    Yeah, I think you may be onto something.. We are on 2003 SP2 and the few i760s we have, do the whole stall thing. (I've also noticed it a time or two on all the 700wx's we have, but some of that can be traced back to older firmware that had its own connection problems.)

I just do desktop/mobile device support so I don't have any interaction with the server side, so I wonder if our direct push setup on 2003 isn't quite tweaked right.
    I actually do some Windows Mobile device support for my corporation as well. I work around the corner from the Exchange server guys. Will broach the subject with them tomorrow. I am not sure it is an exchange setting though, in the last 12 mos I have used a 700wx, the i760, a 6800, and a Treo 750 and currently am involved in iPhone testing. The 760 is the only device that has experienced these stalls with any frequency and there have been no configuration changes to my exchange account during the swaps of these devices, until I was moved to the exchange 2007 pilot environment and voila, all of the stall issues vanished.

Wondering if its a 2003 SP2 interaction with this device in particular, so you have access to a 2007 server for testing?

No 2007 for us probably the rest of this year anyway. We just went from Notes to Exchange about a year ago.

Actually since I did a *228 about a week and a half ago and got the latest PRL, I do not think I've had a single stall. Probably just a coinky dink, but we've had PRL issues with devices in the past for other problems so you never know..

Unrelated, but when you said iPhone testing, I assume you mean with the exchange stuff? How is it working with Exchange? Does it have all the features that WM6 and 2007 will have.. Searching entire mail database? The new cal features?

Most importantly, does it do at rest device encryption like WM6 and 2007 are supposed too? If not, it we won't be able to use them. (Which is fine by me.) I'm sure we will have to look into at some point... I can't go from EVDO back to 1x, or edge or whatever ATT calls it.