+ Reply to Thread

Recieving Pix/without being charged...

Ok, so I just got off the phone with verizon (i actually just called the store as opposed to calling tech suppt line)...

I've been paying for the unlimited data plan since i've owned the phone... because i've always been under the assumption that you cannot send or receive picture messages without connecting to the broadband service and being charged... even though i pay for unlimited text/pic messaging.

last week i called tech suppt... and they actually told me there was no way around the charges without having some sort of data plan.. that if i didn't have a plan. i'd be charged for the broadband connection each time i sent or received a pix message....

well again, i just got off the phone with a verizon rep from the store and he told me... no that's not correct that i can send and receive as many as i want without the data plan and still not receive the charge because i pay for the unlimited text and pix messaging and because the phone has mms messaging... he said as long as i didn't send anything through the email messaging that even though it connects to the broadband that it doesn't calculate the kb/mb for the pix/mms messaging so there should be no charge.. he doubled check with everyone in the store and his manager.

so we went ahead and canceled the data package.. and he made some notes on my record so that if there are any charges i can call and get them waived....

what do ya'll know about this?? i don't need to have broadband access... i never use it... and since just about anywhere you go these days is a wifi hotspot why would i pay for a data plan???

I only use the WiFi at hot spots and my house. There are so many WiFi routers that are not locked out it makes it easy to scan and find one for free. When I bought my i760 they tried to tell me I needed a package and brought me the phone, microSD and other stuff trying to get points or bonus or some thing and I told them I only want the phone. Well that caused a big argument that my wife was ready to choke the guy out which was the manager aka used car salesman as another employee told us later after I had called him that without knowing it first. So we need to research first and have our guard up. Thanks, JASTECH
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

Unfortunately from my experience that is not true. I even had data blocked on my line when I got my i760 and I couldn't send MMS messages. When I called they unblocked that service and said it would work now and that pda's use the data line to send pix unlike "normal" phones (no idea how they send it). But the rep said that if i had a "normal" phone my unlimited txt/pix would be enough but not for a pda.

However, I noticed for the number of pix I send/receive a month it is not worth getting any data plan because its like .005 or less i think per kb. So by the end of the month I'm only paying a few dollars more.

Thumbs up sending/recv MMS w/o data "unlimited" plan

KVB1085, you are correct to drop the "unlimited" data plan if all you want to do is MMS, not actually use internet. You already are paying for unlimited txt/pix, so the extra $45/mo for "unlimited" plan not needed.

However, you should be aware that you may get a few cents of data charges with this setup, even though you are not supposed to. The reason for this is the PDA does connect to broadband to send/recv the pic, and sometimes the billing algorithm thinks you are connecting to the internet, so it charges a few cents.

i experienced this, and since i knew i hadn't used the internet, i tracked each pic by date/time to my KB usage, and saw that all usage was from the pix. Even with that, several Verizon reps told me it was "impossible" that the pix were causing the charges, but i finally got them to admit that was happening.

Anyway, only a couple pennies, per pic, so not a big deal, but it's the principle. So, my advice is watch your bill if you care.

read about it here if you want in my post #13:

Problem with sending MMS picture messages

^^^ thanks for the input guys!

ste_bran

yeah, i def plan on watching it pretty closely...but basically your post and and what the tech said match up pretty closely... i'd be willing to bet they try to sneak some charges in on me... thanks again!