+ Reply to Thread

backing up .pst files?

i want to be prepared in case my i70 and computer both break or are stolen.
    how can i backup all my data on outlook properly?
    i opened outlook, clicked FILE, IMPORT AND EXPORT, EXPORT TO A FILE, PERSONAL FOLDER FILE (PST), PERSONAL FOLDERS (and select "include subfolders"), select "Replace duplicates with items exported," and then i save it to an external harddrive.

the problem is i have no idea if these are the right steps to take and whether it will actually work. i dont know how to open the pst file without messing up anything bc everything is working ok now. one reason i am concerned is that the file name it gives at the end, when i am to save it, is "contactsbkp.pst" - - and that makes me think it only saved the contacts and nothing else... what other options do i have to make sure everything is backed up properly? i know i can use spb backup or similar utilities but i like even better the idea of not relying on a small file that is compatible only with one ppc program. thanks...

Dave
    Yeah you can export your files to another PST and that will work... However if you are using one of the newer PST formats then some of the unicode stuff isn't exported. So... I would just back up the PST file itself.. That's what I do. Its easy to find. You can find its location by looking at the location of the data files in the email account settings. Or (if I remember correctly as I'm doing this from the top of my head) If you are using Outlook 2003 or earlier you can go to folder view, right click on the "personal folders" at the top of the tree >properties>Advanced button and the file name is located there. YOu can even cut the path from the text box and past it in a explorer address window to take you right there. Just copy the file to a backup drive or other location. Make sure you are not running Outlook at the time as the file will be locked when Outlook is in use.
    to backup the PIM database on the PDA phone just copy the PIM.vol file found in the root of the PDA with the file explorer or other file manager application (like Total commander)
    Hope that helps.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

what can i do with the pim.vol file?
    lets say my phone breaks and i get the "touch" instead. if i replace its pim.vol file with the one i backed up, would it automatically refresh with all my old data from my i760?

as for backing up the current pst file in outlook, would the same apply if i reinstalled xp and outlook?

The PIM.vol is the Pocket outlook equivalent of the Pst file. All the contact, calendaring and appointment data is stored in that file. But ya know I never tried copying PIM.vol files between different device.. I imagine it would work between devices with similar WM OS's like both are WM6 devices.. Otherwise I would use a backup restore program like PIMBackup... I was able to use that to backup stuff from my WM5 i730 and restore it to my WM6 i760....

And as for the PST on your Desktop PC...yes! I do that all the time.. I keep a backup of the all PSTs on my servers backup then when I install a new PC with a new Outlook I can either import the PST data or just copy the old one into place and I'm up and running. If you want more information about Outlook than you'll ever need checkout Slipstick.com
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

You want the Outlook 2007/2003/2002 Add-in: Personal Folders Backup

(If you are running from an Exchange Server, this is not needed because your OST file can be deleted and recreated from the server.)