+ Reply to Thread

HELP Please with Samsung SCH-i760

i hope to accomplish 3 goals and would appreciate your assistance:
    • my cell phone is the samsung 760i windows based PDA. i pay for the data plan for internet access, but do not want to pay verizon another $15 a month just to be able to use it as a modem for my laptop. ive done it, it works great but i dont want to pay the additional $15 charge to verizon when im already spending in excess of $300 a month on cell phones for the family (maybe my 7 year old doesnt need a cell phone, but i need her to have one). i want to find tethering software that is compatable with the 760i so that i dont have to pay verizon to use their additional service. the tethering packages ive found arent compatible with the 760i.[/*]
    • once i have either my own tethering software or if i suck it up and pay verizon the additional $15, i want to share the connection with other laptops in the same general area. we're driving to disney land in a couple weeks and i want the kids to all be able to have simultaneous internet access on their laptops (i know....spoiled rotten). i hope to figure out a way to use internet connection sharing on the laptop with the tethered modem/phone to share the internet connection. im thinking that with internet connection sharing i can perhaps plug a simple residential wireless router into my laptop ethernet port but im unsure if internet connection sharing will associate the laptop ethernet port as the host connection for the client laptops. is this even possible? is there a better way?[/*]
    • instead of using my laptop im considering building a mobile computer mounted under the seat of my truck using a 6" monitor mounted on my dash and wireless mouse/keyboard. anyone care to make recommendations on components, particularly a case small enough to fit under the seat of my truck?[/*]

joshua.queen, Welcome to the Forum!

We would like all new members to read teh FAQ's and Stickies as this will answer a few of your questions and help you with your device. If that does not yield your answer then use the "Search" button on top right. If you are still coming up empty then post your question. By doing these steps it will reduce the amount of duplicate post's and therefor make it easier for others to find there answers. Thanks, JASTECH
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

Quote Originally Posted by JASTECH View Post
    We would like all new members to read teh FAQ's and Stickies
    I've spent the last three days browsing the threads and searching for keywords and have found similar topics, but no solutions. If you're aware of a thread containing info I can use, please provide me with the link.

Take a look at the thread on wifirouter. There is plenty of discussion there, and should solve your tethering problem.

You can read everything about it if you want, but if I were you, I'd just go here WMWifiRouter - Welcome and get it. It works. It does exactly what you want. Just make sure you have a car charger for your phone.

In that case he could really use the 3G connection.
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

carputer

For a computer under the seat of your car, and screen on the dash, you need to checkout mp3car.com. Everything you ever dreamed and more...

I recently drove from Ann Arbor Michigan to St Louis Mo. Interstate all the way. Had WiFiRouter up (connecting through my Verizon data plan)and had a broadband connection to my laptop 90% of the way. WiFi router has you install ICS before you install it. It just works. At a trade show recently where the organizers wanted $25 a day for wireless, I just brought up WiFi router (again through the cell network) and I had access as well as a couple of other vendors who were close to my booth. The whole idea of putting a "PC" into a car for a trip to share the internet is nuts. Put WiFi Router on the i760, start the kid's laptops in the back seat, search for available networks, and it just shows up. Couldn't be easier. I can't understand where there's any discussion unless you don't understand how it works. Install the ICS, install the software, the i760 becomes a "hotspot". You just log in.

akeeping, that sound like fun for my wife to mess with as we travel.

Another mobile WIFI story

Yesterday drove from Kentucky to Michigan (8hrs). Wanted to see the US Open golf playoff.
    Step 1 - Asked my wife to drive
    Step 2 - Fire up WIFI router on i760
    Step 3 - Fire up laptop and connect
    Step 4 - Activate SlingBox client on laptop
    Result - Watched the entire playoff and never lost the signal. Video was choppy every once in awhile but worked great.

I have an unlimited data plan and it will be interesting to see how much data it took to watch TV for 4+ hours.