+ Reply to Thread

help getting wifi on my cpu through my phone

I searched around this forum and google for a while, but i could not find out how to use my phone (samsung sch-i760) to get wifi onto my computer through the usb cable that comes with the phone.

Would anyone tell me how?

oh-- my computer runs off of linux, but i can boot it with windows, so if there are no solutions for linux solutions for windows would be acceptable :/

any help or links would be greatly appreciated :]

As far as I know there is no way to get a data connection tether with linux. I researched extensively when I had my i730 and found nothing. I think you're only shot would be using Windows unfortunately. Maybe someone else knows different ....
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

oh well

then how about windows?

and two more things then, i guess:
    -- what are some programs/other that would allow the phone to share the wifi connection through the usb on the phone's side?
    -- what are some programs/other (linux only... im pretty sure windows is much more self explanatory) that allows the computer to receive data connections through usb?

i could probably get number two from a linux forum. But basically, im trying to figure out if theres a way to do what im looking to do without having to have a specific program on the computer's end.

You do have to have a wireless connection

I don't know squat about Linux...... But I'm guessing if you roll into a Starbucks and there's a hot spot you can connect. It that's the case, all you have to do is get WiFi Router and ICS on your i760 and you've got a hot spot. It don't care what you're running down stream.....

Edit: WiFi Router is wireless.... If your Linux box isn't, you're screwed...
    Last edited by akeeping; 06-06-2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Wireless

PDANet (google June Fabrics) will let you tether with your desktop or laptop via USB cable or bluetooth. Don't know about the Linux aspect though.

akeeping: the 'linux box' has no wifi.... my home has wifi, but my box doesn't :/. I can always borrow a shared pc, but i'd love to have it on my own computer.

zagleft1: thanks! I'll have to check that out. :]

note: I have to leave for two weeks because of family affairs, but I'd appreciate it if people would still post when they have something to say so I have something to come back to

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Take a look at the sticky Wifirouter on i760?? at the top of this page. It has all the info you need.

Mark

i did... and the majority of it was getting the paid service to broadcast through your wifi

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pk para View Post
    i did... and the majority of it was getting the paid service to broadcast through your wifi
    Send me a PM with you e-mail and I will send you the free one.

Mark