+ Reply to Thread

Best WMV Player?

I have some WMV files I'm trying to play, but Windows Media Player is very choppy on them and there's no way to edit settings to buffer more that I can find.

I finally got TCPMP 0.81 with codecs to read the files, but the video freezes after the first frame (audio continues). I've tried numerous settings on this as well with no luck.

Does anyone know of a good WMV player that actually works?!?
    (And yes, I've tried searching a bunch of things, but WMV doesn't work for a search because the search requires 4 letters)

I have tried .81 and it never worked for me either. So I went back to .72RC 2 or whatever it was. It worked fine in that, but you have to make sure you have the wmv plugin installed in the same directory.

And by the way, I have tried a lot of other players, and they all suck, really. I have never found another one that played ANY movies well, not to mention wmv. Even coreplayer's mobile player wasn't that good, and that's made by the same people as tcpmp.

Hmm...I still have essentially the same problem. The video loads, and the audio continues, but i only get the one frame of video and the video freezes from there on in...even if I scroll through....

What settings are you using?

How big is this WMV? If it's a medium or high quality video the i760 just won't have the processing power to down-convert it for you to view. I get this same problem if I try to view iPod optimized video - it will play, but it will stutter etc.

I think what you need to do is convert the video files to a lower quality. You won't notice the difference on your i760, but the file will run smooth (and take up less space!)

If you search you'll find many threads on this, but here's one:

3g2 to mpg or avi

The simplest option if you want to keep it a WMV is Microsofts little tool - just select to encode for a PocketPC and drop files in -

Windows Media Encoder
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur