Poll: Will VZW release the i760 WM 6.1 update before iProb8 & Mark_A_K switch to the iPhone

+ Reply to Thread

Question A Little Fun Guessing the WM 6.1 Release Date

Okay, so I thought we all could have a little fun while we're waiting for VZW to release the WM 6.1 update for the Samsung SCH-i760.

As those of you who frequent this forum regularly know, Mark_A_K has indicated he's going to jump ship from the VZW/WM platform to the AT&T/iPhone platform when the 3G iPhone is released. I too most likely will make the leap after the 3G iPhone is released. So, here's the question: Will VZW release the WM 6.1 update for the i760 before Mark_A_K and I abandon the i760 for the iPhone?

For those of you who have been living in a cave this week , here are two hints:
    1. Apple has said the 3G iPhone will be available on July 11.
    2. Current speculation is that the WM 6.1 update for the i760 will be available either this month or in July.
    3. I don't know about Mark, but I hate to wait in line for just about anything (the exception being a big wad of cash that's going to be handed to me at the end of the line ) so I don't expect to be one of the first ones to get the 3G iPhone, but I also love new gadgets and don't have a lot of patience in that regard.
    Now, have some fun voting and making some silly predictions.

Edit: BTW, the "I" in option 4 is you. If you think you're going to switch, let us know when and why. Also, if you're going to abandon the i760 for a different phone, even if it's not for the iPhone, feel free to pick option 4 and explain.
    Last edited by iProb8; 06-11-2008 at 10:40 AM.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

The question for me is whether I get it before I make the switch to the HTC Dream + Android ... no iPhone for me thanks (although they finally got the pricepoint right).

Regardless, I think this may be my last WM device for a while and I doubt 6.1 is going to "wow" me into sticking around.

Is ATT still the only US choice? I think I heard T-Mobile was a no go, but are they still tied to ATT?
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Epic Geek
    I really am considering it. My only issue at this point is my spouse. She loves VZW and all of her friends are on it, so the minutes plan we need is much smaller than if we were on AT&T. She already has unlimited messaging to anyone on any network, so i may just make her line primary, and drop my line and head over to the darkside and leave her there.

I am concerned with the quality of the network.

So I'm not the only one considering the iphone? Android intrigues me. While the interface looks a little better than WM, it's still a far cry from the iphone. My wife has a 2G iphone and I'm constantly playing with it...it's just a pleasure to use.

idk.. that's def a tough call....

another option on the poll should be... "is it even worth it to wait for the update instead of just getting the iphone???"

"...please try your call again..." crouton976's Avatar
    for the release date, I'm putting my money on armegeddon......
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
    - Edgar Allan Poe

i got the ipod touch for 200 on craigslist, it has and will have all the same software, except no phone and gps, which is fine with me since i have a good set up for those on my 760. Also, no tethering for iphone, and much slower 3g than verizon....i currently use USB modem (like pdanet) and get 700k downloads and can use my laptop in parks, etc, which i would really miss. Plus, of course, it is a pain to switch networks.

I love the ipod touch so much more, i'll admit. Once you try it's interface, you feel like you are going 10 yrs back in time to use the 760 to browse web (this coming from a big microsoft fan/ person who normally makes fun of macs). I have to admit, they got the phone/ipod bit right. (I finally sold my zune.)

Plus, the ipod touch is soooo tiny, check it out, you can't lose with this. Plus if you don't like it you can still get nearly 200 for it if you bought it for 200 on CL like me so very little depreciation.

I am excited about the google os, etc, it will be nice and easy and free, but they are making tons of great medical apps for iphone/touch with easy interface....harvard is already having some of its med students try out the ipod touch as the future medical pda!! believe it or not since most hospitals have wifi.

one last thing, the ipod touch does an awesome job of automatically connecting to the best wifi nearby. I drove around my boston suburb and always had a connection...like having a cell phone and was able to get my email at 90% of the places i drove. Wifi speed plus safari browser is hand's down the best internet viewing experience on a pda.

So I think the Ipod touch plus 760 makes the perfect pair...great WM phone with tethering work arounds and a great future pda with slick interface until the whole verizon open network and iphone mess is sorted out.
    Last edited by cnap923; 06-21-2008 at 10:18 PM.

I am waiting for the SGH-i907 or the HTC-Dream w/Android. I like Linux more then Micro$oft. And switching to AT&T will get me either one.
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

The i760 is probably not scheduled for 6.1. I am going to guess it is going to be upgraded to 7.

Everybody ditched this phone a little prematurely, IMO; the iPhone is a piece o garbage.

Update

For those of you who don't know, yesterday Mark_A_K jumped ship and got his iPhone. I was too busy at work (had a deadline to meet) and am not inclined to wait in line. Thus, I presently am iPhone-less and most likely will be so until the lines at AT&T and Apple die down. So, now the question is whether VZW will release the WM 6.1 update and the Bluetooth fix before people stop waiting in line at AT&T and Apple for the 3G iPhone. If VZW releases WM6.1 for the i760 and the Bluetooth fix, I might stick with my i760 for awhile. Otherwise, I'm definitely bailing. I'm sick of having to reconnect my Blueant to my i760 and of having ActiveStink problems.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    For those of you who don't know, yesterday Mark_A_K jumped ship and got his iPhone. I was too busy at work (had a deadline to meet) and am not inclined to wait in line. Thus, I presently am iPhone-less and most likely will be so until the lines at AT&T and Apple die down. So, now the question is whether VZW will release the WM 6.1 update and the Bluetooth fix before people stop waiting in line at AT&T and Apple for the 3G iPhone. If VZW releases WM6.1 for the i760 and the Bluetooth fix, I might stick with my i760 for awhile. Otherwise, I'm definitely bailing. I'm sick of having to reconnect my Blueant to my i760 and of having ActiveStink problems.

The iPhone is definitely a very tempting device.
    Make some nice money from home:
    http://www.tvtravelbiz.com/ds9916

I have a friend that is currently working for samsung in korea. I sent him an email asking if he knew anything about the windows update for the i760. He sent me an email back saying he could not find any information about any windows 6.1 updates. So boys and girls i am going to presume we have to wait for windows 7 or jump ship. I am actually debating about staying until the blackberry thunder comes out. As far as Data goes that should hands down destroy the iphone. Hopefully the interface will be tolerable and less buggy then windows. keep your fingers crossed. When i said the data hands down beats the iphone i am presuming the thunder will be rev-a capable. It has to be for god sakes?????????????? oh man i will wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander323bc View Post
    I have a friend that is currently working for samsung in korea. I sent him an email asking if he knew anything about the windows update for the i760. He sent me an email back saying he could not find any information about any windows 6.1 updates. So boys and girls i am going to presume we have to wait for windows 7 or jump ship. I am actually debating about staying until the blackberry thunder comes out. As far as Data goes that should hands down destroy the iphone. Hopefully the interface will be tolerable and less buggy then windows. keep your fingers crossed. When i said the data hands down beats the iphone i am presuming the thunder will be rev-a capable. It has to be for god sakes?????????????? oh man i will wait and see.

Looks like your friend doesn't know too much about internal development at Samsung.

6.1 update is out (kind of)
    Samsung SCH-i730 -> Treo 700w -> Samsung SCH-i760 -> Samsung Omnia (SCH-i910)

I was going to close this thread now that WM 6.1 is in the wild, but, upon further reflection, I'll keep it open a little longer--until the update has officially been released by Verizon. Of course, because Mark_A_K already has gotten his iPhones (and we should thank him for the WM 6.1 release), the only pertinent question left is whether the official WM 6.1 release will occur before I get an iPhone.
    -Jay

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    I was going to close this thread now that WM 6.1 is in the wild, but, upon further reflection, I'll keep it open a little longer--until the update has officially been released by Verizon. Of course, because Mark_A_K already has gotten his iPhones (and we should thank him for the WM 6.1 release), the only pertinent question left is whether the official WM 6.1 release will occur before I get an iPhone.

I just mailed my i760 at noon today.

I am already missing it and I will be missing the Red Sox tonight without my SlingBox!

Ha... this would be your just deserts for acting hastily...
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Bad Verizon, No Cookie!
    I said screw it.. I installed my wm6.1.. keyboard dropped letter fix, threaded sms, and sms resend are enough to make me happy.
    Touch Pro 2 - 6.1 Stock ROM - Verizon Wireless

Local Apple Store won't have iPhones in stock tomorrow, and I'll be out of town starting Thursday night. Looks like I'll be trying out WM 6.1 a little longer.
    -Jay

Hmm, since the other iPhone thread was locked - just wanted to pass this info along. I knew it would be done - 3G Jailbroken.
    A truly unlocked iPhone 3G is much more appealing than the locked-down standard version

IPhone 3G Jailbreak: iPhone 3G Jailbroken
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur