+ Reply to Thread

Appointment times in different time zones

Hi

I am currently travelling in a different (one hour back) time zone with my I760 and notice that the time on the Today screen is not automatically changing despite having that option set to auto. Now if I go in under clock settings and change to the visiting time zone, the clock then shows the right time but all my appointments get pushed back one hour. So if I set a meeting time as 8pm before coming here, the meeting time now says 7pm locally. Am I overlooking something obvious? All I want is my local time to be correct and the calendar to show appointments as I originally enetered them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This is how Windows Mobile works, just like any computer. Since the phone has no way of knowing where it is you have to tell it the time zone.

If you enter an appointment while in one time zone and then change the time zone then it will adjust the appointment. This is how it should work. after all, the time is just the same you are just in a different place relative to where your appointment was scheduled.

Unfortunately the phone can't read minds. If you want it to set an appointment for a different time zone then switch to that time zone first.

Richard

Thanks Ramiss. Understand the issues involved, was just hoping there was an option that would ask you if you wanted to shift calendar if you went into another time zone. But you are correct, the best way is to set each appointment to its proper time zone (which I just discovered how to do with Pocket Informant, and will see if I can figure out with Outlook 2003, if not upgrade to 2007).

In Outlook, click on the Timezone button when setting up the appointment. Choose the TZ where the appointment will actually occur.

Thanks. Looks like I will have to upgrade to Outlook 2007 (like I have at work) to get easy access to that feature for new appointments. Sort of buried in the options on Outlook 2003.

I find this a problem as well. I know that WM is supposed to work this way, I just think it is a poor way of handling it. My Treo 650/palm was much better at this. There was a setting under TIME in the setup menou that gave two options... (1) get local time from network and (2) get time zone information fomr network.... if you left the second option unchecked, the time wold alsways update upon landing but appointments would never shift because fomr a time zone standpoint, the phone was unaware we had moved. That let me ALWAYS put appointments in for local time which was WAY better/easier for me... under current WM system if I am in Denver and need to meet a guy next Tuesday in Newark at 8:30AM for breakfast what time do I put the pointment in for? With the Treo it was easy - 8:30AM... with WM if I want to keep the phone on accurate/local time I have to put it in for 6:30Am and let it shoft when I land in Newark... that I have to mentally calculate time zones is nuts IMHO...

Yes, I seem to remember this was not an issue with my old Palm. Would be a nice option...