Closed Thread

GPS Question please!

Hey, this might be a redundant thread but I did a search and scrolled through the first 12 pages and couldn't find anything so please link me to old threads ifyou know of them!

What GPS program do you guys use for the i760? Is a data plan required? Sorry if the questions are so primitive!

Quote Originally Posted by shophiaholic View Post
    Hey, this might be a redundant thread but I did a search and scrolled through the first 12 pages and couldn't find anything so please link me to old threads ifyou know of them!

What GPS program do you guys use for the i760? Is a data plan required? Sorry if the questions are so primitive!
    I have tried a lot of different programs and I like Windows Live Search Program the best. It requires a data plan but if you use a storage card as the working directory it doesn't use too much bandwidth.

I'm assuming you want true navigation software...the kind that gives you turn-by-turn spoken directions, just like a Garmin Nuvi would. I mostly use iGuidance. Full blown navigation, speaks street names, you can try it out for free. I also use Garmin Mobile XT. Same software that's on the Garmin Nuvi. Looks and works exactly the same. It also has online features...traffic, gas prices, hotel rates (data plan required unless you're near wifi hotspot). It does not pronounce street names, tho. I've also used TomTom's pda software but I didn't like it; they use TeleAtlas maps, and the routing was not good, IMO. I recommend using a program that uses Navteq maps (the same maps the Nuvis use). The free programs like Windows Live Search and Google Maps are cool for searching for stuff near your location, but they don't do active GPS navigation. You should check out these sites... gpspassion.com , semsons.com , buygpsnow.com

I use Windows Live Search and the bluetooth Freedom 2000 GPS. You need a data plan (or wifi nearby).

It doesn't give you spoken directions, but it does beep at you when your next turn is coming up. I used it while driving from Iowa to Pigeon Forge, TN and it worked great the whole way.

I use IGuidance 4.0 and it doesn't require a data plan. I won't leave home without it. It's the greatest.

I agree with above posts. Iguidance 4 all the way. much better routing than Garmin XT, tomtom, Odyssey, or Destinator. I've tried them all. Only drawback is that it has less POI than some but I feel that I can always look up where the store is by other methods and better routing is more important.

Thanks for the tip on iGuidance. I've been using TomTom Navigator 6 for a year or so and thought it must be the best (compared to older products like Street Atlas and free products like Live Search and Google Maps). However, the praise here made me go check out iGuidance. I like what I see.

The one thing that TomTom has I don't see in iGuidance is some sort of real-time traffic info. Now I realize TomTom's is hit and miss for the traffic info but it sure seems better than none at alerting me to construction delays and even accidents ahead and allowing a reroute. I made allowance for any inaccuracies by the fact it was FREE. However just recently they started charging like $54/year for the traffic feature. My free trial will soon end so I'm weighing paying the fee or switching. The fee would more acceptable if it was always reliable.

Am I correct there is no traffic feature in iGuidance? And you would still use it all over TomTom? How bad did you find TT's TeleAtlas problem. I've not really noticed a problem but then I have nothing to compare it to.

The Garmin PDA solution didn't appeal to me as it seems to require a standalone SD card if I read it right rather than the standard one I use loaded with music, installed apps, etc.

iGuidance does not have a traffic feature. And I still prefer it over TomTom. I've been using iGuidance since it first came out 5 years ago, and I'm still using it on almost a daily basis today.

TeleAtlas is a Euro based company (now owned by TomTom - also a Euro based company). To put it simply, their mapping database is 'tuned' to travel in Europe, and IMO has never been on par w/ nav programs based on the Navteq (based in Chicago) database. For US travel, Navteq is king. For Euro travel TeleAtlas is reportedly as good or better than Navteq. Although supposedly Navteq's Euro maps have become quite good also. I would guess that TomTom's US routing has gotten better since I've used it, but I still read about lots of complaints all the time on various GPS forums. Personally I think what TomTom does best in the US is marketing.

Traffic features in general seem to be hit-or-miss at this point in the game, depending upon where you're driving, and the quality and timeliness of the data coming in.

Garmin Mobile 'officially' requires you to use a standalone SD card. 'Unofficially' there are workarounds for that, so that you can use whatever SD card you like (which is what I'm doing; I have everything on 1 card - the way it should be).
    Last edited by Gunn; 06-16-2008 at 06:18 PM.

but the i760 doesnt have a gps feature right? so it cant give its location for the gps to give turn by turn directions, right?

These questions have been asked in other threads as she mentioned 12 pages and stopped reading. Let's have the Moderators close this thread and continue with the other thread. Thanks, JASTECH
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

@ gobraves00: The i760 works w/ a bluetooth GPS receiver.

JASTECH, is correct. We already have some other threads on GPS programs for the i760. Those threads include the following:

GPS Programs for Hikers

GPS Programs for International Travel

Garmin 10 for Smartphones

i760 and GPS

and

Recommended GPS Software

(There are a few others too.)

Let's keep discussion of GPS software for the i760 to one of those other threads.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)