+ Reply to Thread
    Looking forward to a new device

Question Annoying Activesync Issue (please help)

Well,

I am super excited. Finally the exchange servers at work changed over from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003! This let me use both Outlook 2007 (awesome) and OWA/Activesync in place of VZW Wireless Sync.

So, it is setup perfectly. I can send and receive emails, calendar entries, tasks, notes, etc... but what I've noticed (and yes I've tried a hard reset) is that it randomly asks for my exchange password again. Very annoying!

So, is there something I am missing here? A root cert or reg entry? Does anyone else have this problem?

If you need my settings posted, let me know... but it works!
    Detroit, MI
    Samsung SCH-i760
    Verizon Wireless

Have you found a solution?

I'm having the very same issue and wondered if you've had any luck in solving this problem. The situation is deteriorating here because people are becoming so annoyed by having to repeatedly enter their complex password that they’re becoming careless and entering the wrong password. We have a 5 consecutive wrong password lockout policy resulting in the phone locking their accounts in Active Directory. Worse still the phone does not inform you of a wrong password but rather just try repeatedly until the account is locked.

If nothing else I’ve bumped your thread in the hopes of someone shedding some light on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by knife View Post
    Well,

I am super excited. Finally the exchange servers at work changed over from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003! This let me use both Outlook 2007 (awesome) and OWA/Activesync in place of VZW Wireless Sync.

So, it is setup perfectly. I can send and receive emails, calendar entries, tasks, notes, etc... but what I've noticed (and yes I've tried a hard reset) is that it randomly asks for my exchange password again. Very annoying!

So, is there something I am missing here? A root cert or reg entry? Does anyone else have this problem?

If you need my settings posted, let me know... but it works!
    I have no problem with my exchange account, but have you tried removing the phone from exchange server then re-adding it? I have done this a few times and it has fixed misc problems. Just keep in mind it may wipe out everything on the phone... which if you are using an exchange server shouldn't be too big of a deal because it will redownload everything as soon as the connection is reestablished.

I've remote wiped each of the three models of phone connecting to Exchange using Mobile Admin to prove functionality. I have the problem with eight Samsung i760s and two HTC SMT5800 smartphones. Two i870s running windows mobile 6.1 and six still on windows mobile 6. Oddly enough I just discovered we have 1 user using Apple iphone (older version hardware with new version firmware/software) and he's not having a problem.

I believe that if your company can deploy user certificates then you will NEVER need to enter a password.

Of course if your exchange admins dont have any pull with the people who run the certificate server, then you might not have any luck.

If your company uses self-signed certificates, you'll need to install it on the phone to avoid very annoying certificate errors from the server. This isn't hard, and can be done using the domain controls available for WM 6.1 and Exchange or through a manual distribution.

If you are using user certificates and no passwords, you're actually creating an exposure for the company. User certs are intended to be the "something you have" part of a two-factor authentication system, and it would be contradictory to remove passwords altogether since it creates the potential for access to the network without "something you know."

Why it's losing a password is beyond me. It could be an i760 issue or the way that the phone and server are exchanging information. I saw this occasionally on my old i730, and what was odd was that hitting "cancel" on the password prompt, letting that particular sync die and then just waiting for the next automated sync just about always worked without re-entering the password.

..."and what was odd was that hitting "cancel" on the password prompt, letting that particular sync die and then just waiting for the next automated sync just about always worked without re-entering the password."

Exactly! I must admit misery loves company because it’s comforting to know we are not alone. We are scratching our heads on that too. Then trouble begins on that rare occasion you realize through email attrition you should have taken the time to re-enter the password. The only way we know of to fix that situation is to reconfigure the server in ActiveSync which is time consuming and potentially confusing to some of the users the first couple times though. Word is getting out about the iphone user not having this problem and I’m going to have a revolution on my hands soon. He only synchs his mail unlike the other who synch everything (mail, contacts, calendar, & tasks). I don't know if there's a correlation in what is being synched or if it’s an ActiveSynch issue.

I seriously think it's just a malformed packet that occurs every X bits of data exchanged. It never had a reason or a rhyme to it.

But it's also possible that this is related to push e-mail. Since the session for push has to be persistent, a tower change that results in a changed IP address could cause the server to see two different connections for the same device using the same authentication token. The server spits up on the connection and rather than presenting credentials again, the device assumes a failed password (probably because the failure code is identical) and presents the dialog. When you cancel, both connections time out and the automatic reconnect with the save password occurs.

My suspicions, anyway. The iPhone may just be handling the second condition more intelligently.

Robert Tankersley
    Here is what I found on my company's exchange server. We have a 30 day password change policy. On webmail and on active sync both, the server starts sending a "password will expire soon" message at 17 days. You can choose to change the password or cancel the message. If you cancel you are then connected. However on the i760, during routine syncing (15 min in my case) I may not even see the message. Wven if I see it, it does not give me time to change it. If I see it and hit cancel it goes ahead and connects. I have learned that when I start seeing the behavior go to webmail and change the password and then replace the password on the i760. It is a pain but does work for me.
    Robert Tankersley CDP