+ Reply to Thread

Gizmo5 on the i760

Hey,
    I've found a lot of useful info on this site, and a search function that is actually useful, however I finally hit a dead end here .

Anyway, I'm trying to get Gizmo5 on the phone so I can talk via WiFi when I'm at work (no cell reception, it's in a basement, but free WiFi!). Before I take the plunge and start paying Skype a monthly fee (yeah, I know it's cheap, but I'm cheap too), I'd like to see if anyone has had any luck installing Gizmo5 on the phone and getting everything set up.

So far, with the help of google, I've tried about 5 different JREs, none of which will open the gizmo.jad or gizmo.jar files. A friend of mine got it installed on his HTC-Touch (with Sprint), but he's not sure where I can get a JRE to run it with, he said his came with the ROM when he was installing WM6.

Anyway, any advice would be helpful, thanks!

I got it to run fine.

By JRE, I assume you mean a midlet manager -- which have you tried using so far?

I'm using Jbed myself, but I've used the IBM one with no problems before.

No matter, I've since found something else that I'm using called SJphone.

If anyone is interested in Gizmo, or doesn't know about it, let me tell you why you should be. I promise, I'm not an advertiser, and do not represent them in anyway, however, I looked everywhere and it took me about 5 or 6 hours looking on google and various cell phone forums (signing up for about 10 different forums in the process).

Basically, Gizmo is a lot like Skype, except it uses standard protocols to allow VoIP communication through the internet. You can also accept FREE incoming calls from land lines and mobile phones, but not outgoing calls... unless you have Grand Central [http://grandcentral.com] (which is currently closed for registration, and MAY become a pay for service from what I hear).

So what I've done is set up this program, SJphone, to log into Gizmo as myself. Once logged in, I can make calls through WiFi. I used Grand Central to dial a number for me, and call me with the connection (incoming call as far as Gizmo is concerned, so it's free). Anyone who calls my Grand Central number gets forwarded to my Gizmo account, so I get free incoming and outgoing calls on my phone when I'm near a wireless network. No minutes used, and no fear of getting close to the 5 GB a month limit that VZW doesn't tell you about. This is great for me, because when I'm at school, I work in basement, with no windows, and only the occasional spot of service, so I can forward my phone and seamlessly recieve calls in the basement, or anywhere when I'm near a wireless network and want to avoid minute usage.

The only drawback that I see is that instead of using the built in speaker so you can put the phone to your ear, it uses the loud speaker on the bottom, so people you speak to hear an echo unless you adjust it right. This MIGHT be different for those of you with fancy Bluetooth headsets, because there is an option to select an audio device.

Additionally, the numbers on the front of the i760 do not work as numbers in the phone, they work as typing buttons, so you have to tap the screen (buttons are big enough to finger tap) to use the buttons.

EDIT: One more I just remembered, the program doesn't work right with the keyboard open, so you either need to flip the orientation with the keyboard open or just close the phone.

Holy crap, I just wrote a book . Anyway, let me explain how to do it for those who are interested, this is taken directly from Gizmo's website, but I want to post it here so searching is easier via google and the forums.

Gizmo5 - Make free internet calls from your mobile phone and computer - Home

How to get Gizmo working on Windows Mobile and the Samsung SCH i760
    -------------------------------------------------------

How can I get Gizmo Project on my Pocket PC or Windows Mobile device?
    Solution Sorry, but there is NOT a version of Gizmo Project for the Pocket PC.

However, it is possible to make Gizmo Project calls on your Pocket PC, by using standards based software, like SJPhone.

1. Download and install your SJPhone client for Pocket PC from here.

2. Click 'menu' and select Options.

3. Click the 'Profiles' tab and then select 'New'. Name the profile "Gizmo" and select "calls through SIP proxy" for 'profile type'. Click 'Ok'

4. On the first tab of the 'Edit' window for the new gizmo profile. Use the default settings, but also check the 'Inquired' and 'Saved' boxes for 'full address of'.

5. On the Sip Proxy tab enter the 'proxy domain' as 'proxy01.sipphone.com' with port '5060'. Leave the 'user domain' field empty. Check the following boxes: 'Register with proxy', 'Proxy is strict outbound' and 'Unregister contact address only'.

6. No changes need to be made to the 'General' and 'DTMF' tabs.

7. On the STUN tab check the box 'Use discovered addresses in SIP' and enter 'stun01.sipphone.com' as the server address. Set the port to '3478'.

8. Click 'ok' to apply these settings to the profile you created.

9. After selecting the profile you just created, click initialize.

10. Enter your SIP Number (11 digits, no dashes) for "Account", your Gizmo password, and for 'Full address' enter your SIP URI.

11. Click 'ok' to return to the profiles tab. Then click 'ok' again to return to the SJPhone main screen.

12. From the 'Menu' select Services->Re-initialize selected service. Then click 'ok' on the screen that appears. You should now be able to make and receive calls with your pocket pc.

13. [optional] You might have to free up ports 5060 (UDP) and 5004 (RTP) on your firewall and/or router if for some weird reason you can't connect to the service.

Please note that SJPhone is pretty slow on PocketPCs. After you do a call, and you click on hang up, it will take a while to apply the hang-up. At that time, your PocketPC will appear frozen. It has not crashed, just frozen temporarily, because the SJPhone client is not really optimized for small devices (it is a straight port of the desktop version). Just wait for a bit and your pocket pc will come back to life soon enough.

-------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: I've had NO such slowdown whatsoever, this may be different on other phones.

Last thing...
    This confused the hell out of me. I couldn't figure out how to answer calls, because there is no answer call button, so I had it set to answer calls automatically. I found out there is no software button, to answer the calls, and you have to bind a hardware button to do it. I set it to the center button in the middle of the D-Pad, works great.

Let me know if you need anything else, but I tried to answer as much as I could and give as much of an in depth explaination as to why anyone would want to do this.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by EtherBoo; 06-23-2008 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherBoo View Post

Additionally, the numbers on the front of the i760 do not work as numbers in the phone, they work as typing buttons, so you have to tap the screen (buttons are big enough to finger tap) to use the buttons.

Usually, if you want to use the numbers on the front of the phone, and they enter letters when you press them, you can hold the button down for a second or two and it will enter a number. Works whenever I've tried it, but I haven't tried the program you are referring to.

Roger

It needs to use hear a number tone, so if there is no tone, it won't work. I'll try it.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherBoo View Post
    The only drawback that I see is that instead of using the built in speaker so you can put the phone to your ear, it uses the loud speaker on the bottom, so people you speak to hear an echo unless you adjust it right. This MIGHT be different for those of you with fancy Bluetooth headsets, because there is an option to select an audio device.
    This problem, the fact that it takes all available resources and basically makes the phone impossible to use for anything else while it's running, and the one-to-two-second or so delay between when I speak and when I'm heard basically made me give up on SJPhone.

I tried fring, and it solved the first (audio through loudspeaker only) problem, but the delay was greater. But solving that first problem was a bigger deal for me.

Also plan to try out x-lite phone, and I'm pretty sure there's one more SIP mobile client out there that I can't remember right now. I've heard good things about x-phone and x-lite, though.

Or, of course, you could just use Gizmo. Works fine. But it's not actually a SIP client, oddly enough.

The only Gizmo stuff for WM6 I found was in java format, and I couldn't find anything that would run it.

I will check out these other programs, however SJphone doesn't criple mine, you have other programs open.