+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Charger Model

Robert Tankersley

Charger Model

I have several Samsung chargers for different phones but can not determine the correct one for the i760.

Could someone read the model number and/or the output volt / amps so I can determine the correct one to use. I will then mark it on the charger.

Thanks
    Robert Tankersley CDP

Why not just see which charger fits? Most mobile phone manufacturers try to standardize the chargers (this changed from my a990 =(, have to buy a new car charger), I don't see why Samsung would be different. I hightly doubt they would release 2 phones, with the same charger interface and put them at different voltages, however, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherBoo View Post
    Why not just see which charger fits? Most mobile phone manufacturers try to standardize the chargers (this changed from my a990 =(, have to buy a new car charger), I don't see why Samsung would be different. I hightly doubt they would release 2 phones, with the same charger interface and put them at different voltages, however, I could be wrong.
    It wouldn't make any sense, would it? Yet that's exactly what they did. I wouldn't ever have known if I hadn't just run into this problem on a trip out of state where I forgot my charger. The i760 uses the i760 charger -- nothing else works. I actually found a "universal Samsung charger" which fit the i760, but it still wouldn't charge it. Went to a Verizon store, and they informed me that the i760's charger is specific to the model. Not that they're always the most knowledgeable, but my experience matched that.

If you're still curious, my stock charger puts out 5V @1A. HTH.

Heh, that's pretty interesting, I'm going to check that out. A place near where I live has a universal cell phone charger station (a small kiosk with about 15-20 different cell phone plugs and labels for each).

I wouldn't listen to VZW about technical advice, because as much as I love them for their CS, I tend to think their tech support knows crap. A lady I spoke with today on the phone told me Wireless Sync is impossible to remove from the phone because it's hard coded into the ROM. I guess she never heard of Start -> Settings -> System -> Remove Programs.

Before I purchased the RAZR, I was coming in for repairs to my Motorola v700. I found out water damage put my phone out of warranty (I hate FL, the humidity alone will set those little water detectors off if you spend enough time outside). Before I had a chance to look it up, I asked the tech (supervisor) about PC connectivity, and he told me no cable exists to connect the two and BlueTooth was locked out. Well, he didn't know two things:
    1) The RAZR has a Mini-USB Port that is used for charging and USB connectivity. Dumbass should have looked at the phone.
    2) Full BlueTooth was included in the early RAZR (VC3 Only) because of a firmware goof on Verizon's part.

So don't listen to them, you may have just gotten a bad charger.

Shortly after the i760 came out, I bought a case on eBay. Included in the case was a free car charger for the phone. The adapter fit the phone OK but it would not charge. I returned it and the seller sent me a new one. It didn't work either. I was more interested in the case so I didn't make a deal out of it.

But, it's anecdotal evidence the i760 charger is not the same as other Samsung models using the same adapter format.

Very interesting, it could be something in the power adapter itself to ensure that people don't sell bad after-market chargers. I had one for my A990 that fit, and charged, but I think the voltage may have been bad because my phone's battery seemed to get worse by about 10-15 minutes of talk time every time I used it.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherBoo View Post
    I wouldn't listen to VZW about technical advice, because as much as I love them for their CS, I tend to think their tech support knows crap. A lady I spoke with today on the phone told me Wireless Sync is impossible to remove from the phone because it's hard coded into the ROM. I guess she never heard of Start -> Settings -> System -> Remove Programs.
    Ironically, she's not completely wrong. "Deleting" software that's in ROM just marks it deleted. It won't run anymore, but you won't recover any storage space. So depending on how you take "remove," she could be in a way right.

They can't all be dumb, ya know.

So don't listen to them, you may have just gotten a bad charger.
    Considering how many chargers I've gotten from a reputable retail store that were defective straight out of the package, that being 0 , I think it'd be more likely to assume the other side. That along with everything else, anyway. Preponderance of evidence and all that jazz.

I agree they can't be all dumb, however, the files in the program files directory was deleted.