+ Reply to Thread

Thread: USB Charge?

USB Charge?

From what I understand, this phone does not charge via USB because USB cannot output enough voltage to properly charge the device. From what I've read, Samsung has a Charging USB Cable, however, it only offers a trickle charge, keeping the device at the power it's at, and only increasing the power very slowly.

With that in mind, I have 2 questions.

I read somewhere, which I can't seem to find again, about someone who purchased a charge station, that sync to the PC and charges at the same time. I'm imagining that the station has 2 cables, one connects to the PC and one which connects to an outlet.
    EDIT: LOL, didn't ask the question. Does anyone know where I can purchase this docking station?

Second, is it possible to rig up a cable that connects to an outlet and a USB port by soldering in the connections from 2 cables and basically making them 2 cables with one connection?
    Last edited by EtherBoo; 06-23-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherBoo View Post
    From what I understand, this phone does not charge via USB because USB cannot output enough voltage to properly charge the device. From what I've read, Samsung has a Charging USB Cable, however, it only offers a trickle charge, keeping the device at the power it's at, and only increasing the power very slowly.
    Hmm, seemed to charge OK for me... as long as I wasn't using the phone at the time I'll pay more attention next time I use it.

I read somewhere, which I can't seem to find again, about someone who purchased a charge station, that sync to the PC and charges at the same time. I'm imagining that the station has 2 cables, one connects to the PC and one which connects to an outlet.
    EDIT: LOL, didn't ask the question. Does anyone know where I can purchase this docking station?
    Samsung i760 Desktop Cradle

Second, is it possible to rig up a cable that connects to an outlet and a USB port by soldering in the connections from 2 cables and basically making them 2 cables with one connection?
    That would probably be a bad idea. This would be much better.

USB Port AC Power Charger Adapter

(not a specific recommendation; there are plenty of wall or car to USB adapters out there, and they all seem to work fine.)

The cradle I was buying has the 2 cables but also charges the extra battery too but need to remember the vendor.
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

I use an adapter that goes into a mini usb connection into the normal connection into the computer. I can run this, and use wifirouter for hours and never lose a charge, instead if the battery is near dead in about 2 hours of using it as a router it will be fully charged...so I have to say that myth is BUSTED.

powrful1, Good one, lol
    I know I have left mine plugged into the PC and it charges but never tried from a dead battery.
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

@slinkygn
    Thank you very much, the cradle is exactly what I'm looking for. I save that link and get that soon.

The second one is a bit off from what I was thinking of. I was basically thinking of combining a USB Sync Cable with a Charge Cable. I spoke with a friend of mine who is good with hacking cables and making custom stuff, and he said it would be a bad idea.

@JASTECH
    Is this the one that you're talking about?
    Mobi Products BatteryCradle for Samsung SCH-i760 - WMExperts Store
    While it claims to charge and allow sync, it also calls the phone a Blackberry, which it obviously is not, so I'm skeptical as to what it allows me to do.

Additionally, I charged my standard battery once before a trip and put the extended battery in and have not taken it out since. I don't really think I need it and have not brought the phone down to less than 40% in a while. It's fine as long a I charge it nightly, which is fine with me. If I used it more intently, I might find more appeal to this, however, I may start using the phone more intently once school starts up and I'm working full time again, so I am interested in the functionality of this if you could please clear it up.

@powrful1
    I think I saw that one also... here:
    Pocket PC Techs - Accessories for Samsung SCH-i760 Lil' Sync® Pro Cable/Samsung DUO Adapter Bundle
    I wasn't sure if it worked because the pictures weren't detailed enough, and I wasn't sure if it was some generic cable they just assumed would work with this. Is this the one, and can you confirm how it connects? Maybe even add some pics if you have the time?

---------------------------------

Thanks to all who replied, very helpful!

I use the Samsung Desktop Charger it comes with a usb cable for data and requires the use of the Travel Charger for charging. Both are left plugged into the Cradle.
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...essoryId=30603

If you do use this cradle there is a 'trick' to getting the i760 into and out of the cradle.
    Desktop Charger

Just chiming in (for this and the other post thread): I've been using a GoMadic retractable cable for a while now on my i760. It works great. The things I like are that it is retractable, has a std USB connector on one end, and uses an adapter on the other end. I have several adapters, one for my GPS (mini-USB), one for my wife's phone, another for my i760, etc. The specific model adapter I use for my i760 has a '79' on it. So I can charge / ActiveSync (still use XP) while I am charging. As another poster stated, recharging from a low battery doesn't take very long at all. FWIW, my laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad (has 2 powered USB ports). I also use a Penguin wall plug / car adapter (from PocketPC Techs) when I want to charge any of the devices I've mentioned (plus a few others, like a BT earpiece, etc) when I need to, while using wall power or in the car. Hope that helps. I used the PPC Techs adapter mechanism for a while, but liked the plug-type adapters from GoMadic better. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: BTW, I also use the 'standard' VZW cradle, but it sits at home, just plugged into wall power without any USB connection (so just charging, e.g., overnight).
    Last edited by DWIM; 06-24-2008 at 06:10 AM.
    John

I'd much rather have one that can be pulled out without a "trick." As long as it charges and lets me sync, I'm a happy camper, are they referring to the cradle listed above? This one here:
    Samsung i760 Desktop Cradle

DWIM, could you include links to the products? I am interested in the cable that acts as a car and wall charger.

Thanks
    Last edited by EtherBoo; 06-24-2008 at 02:38 PM.

I used to use this one Samsung i760 Power Package 2 : (5 Star Rating) Google Checkout available. It includes a Charge and Sync cable (unlike the one that comes with the phone which only syncs), a wall usb charger and a car usb charger. Using the same Charge and Sync Cable you can charge from the computer, the wall, or the car. Unfortunately my wife lost the cable and car adapter, so I recently ordered the retractable charge and sync cable and another car usb charger. Always worked great.

EtherBoo, Mobi Products BatteryCradle » Mobility Today Cradles » Mobility Today Store
    I liked it because with my 6700 I have 3 std and 1 extended battery and keeping an extra charged just in case it's needed.

@PridgNYC
    Does it actually charge or just keep it at a steady level? From what I've read, USB doesn't carry enough voltage to charge the battery, but it does have enough to keep the battery from draining.

@JASTECH
    Any troubles removing it from the cradle?

EtherBoo, nope. The only problem I am having now is the backlight will not stay on when plugged in. I have set everything correct and it just shuts off. I think maybe PA is messing with it. But nice having both batteries charged up in case the mother-in-law calls!

Quote Originally Posted by PridgNYC View Post
    I used to use this one Samsung i760 Power Package 2 : (5 Star Rating) Google Checkout available. It includes a Charge and Sync cable (unlike the one that comes with the phone which only syncs), a wall usb charger and a car usb charger. Using the same Charge and Sync Cable you can charge from the computer, the wall, or the car. Unfortunately my wife lost the cable and car adapter, so I recently ordered the retractable charge and sync cable and another car usb charger. Always worked great.
    That's precisely what I did. I bought all the pieces as generics separately, but same effect. It's the most portable, compact way to be able to carry around a way to charge my phone anywhere no matter what's available, IMHO.

And again, yes, the phone will charge from USB. The idea that USB does not carry enough power to charge the phone is, on the whole, false.

I've heard of some cheapo older laptops that don't actually power the USB port to the appropriate spec; they may not charge the phone, but if I had one of those laptops, that'd probably be the least of my worries.

I power from my laptop regularly, and I have more charge when I'm done than when I started.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherBoo View Post
    @PridgNYC
    Does it actually charge or just keep it at a steady level? From what I've read, USB doesn't carry enough voltage to charge the battery, but it does have enough to keep the battery from draining.

@JASTECH
    Any troubles removing it from the cradle?
    Yes, it charges when used with a high power usb port. My old T20 just had a low power port so it would not charge unless I used a powered hub. USB provides a nominal 5V to attached devices. In the basic specs devices can request up to 500milliAmps but the newer specs allow for an on-the-go/battery-charge profile which will allow a device to draw up to 1.5Amps which is more than enough to charge the phone. (the charger only puts out 5V @ 1 Amp) So if you have a relatively new computer with a high power port available (or a powered hub which supports at least 1Amp) you should have no trouble charging the phone from the usb port.

FYI even some modern Laptops use a combination of low and high power USB ports. Check your manual to see if you have low power usb ports on your lappie.
    Last edited by PridgNYC; 06-25-2008 at 03:27 PM.

My laptop has high powered, so I'm not worried, it just doesn't make sense to me as to why a one USB Cable wouldn't charge and another would... what's different.

Also, I'm going on some info I got from another forum where the guy called Samsung directly and that's what they told him.

Either way, it's good to know, I think I'll be picking up a cradle soon (charge and sync) for home, a cable for travel, and a USB car charger and USB home charger.

Thank you all VERY much for your advice and input.

The sync cable that comes with the phone does not have all the usb pins connected so you don't get power, only data. My guess is they did this for two reasons:

A) Force you to buy their charger/cradle accessories $$
    B) Reduced support requirements from people calling in wondering why their phone won't charge (because they are plugged into a low power port or unpowered/overloaded hub)

I remember going through the same problem as (B) with my wife's ipod trying to figure out why it wouldn't charge when plugged into the laptop.