+ Reply to Thread

New AIM for Windows Mobile, anyone?

Has anyone tried the new AIM for windows mobile? I have IM+, but this looks pretty good too.

AIM for Windows Mobile

I read some about it here AOL Releases New AIM Client for WM - WMExperts

But I would rather talk to people instead of typing it. At work there nailing a lot of employees for IM's and all that texting while at work.
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

Hmm, it is about time, but I guess I'm a bit wary that it may be more than I need (AOL usually tries to slip in a bunch of stuff with their IM clients as of late which is why I use Pidgin)

If an i760 user could Guinea pig this and report back it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherBoo View Post
    * Ad space is currently filled with placeholder.
    As I feared. Typical. If it's the best IM client for WM then I'll take the ads.

Thanks - I guess I'll stick with what I have
    Last edited by luca_bras1; 06-25-2008 at 10:02 AM.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Sure, I'll be more than happy to!

I'm going to use it tonight at a workshop I'm going to, so I'll report back here later.

Scratch that, just read the known issues...
    * Help and About not available.
    * Ad space is currently filled with placeholder.
    * Devices with a 320x320 display my encounter issues with resolution and softkey menus.
    * Report spam when receiving a message from an unknown user is not yet implemented.
    * Unknown publisher warning present during installation of application.
    * Message and alert notifications outside AIM application not yet implemented.
    * Keyboard entry not working on the T-Mobile Dash device.

Forget it, I don't feel like dealing with ads.

Anyone know of a FREE AIM client other than this?

Always glad to try something new!

I installed and initially just got a frustrating hang and had to soft reset.
    After the reset, it loaded slowly, but no more hanging.

PROS:

-free!
    -graphics are great, probably the best I've seen in any client thus far
    -full feature set that you would need from a client
    -transitions pretty well between portrait/landscape
    -shows status of buddies and an icon indicating whether they are available or not (some other programs do, but not as well)
    -automatically connects to broadband when signing in
    -ad space is almost unnoticed, its at the bottom of your buddy list (literally have to scroll down to see it, not a static bar)

CONS:

-SLOW!!!! Which makes it difficult to navigate your buddy list (at least when you have almost 200 buddies, in my case)
    -Only way to navigate is with the scroll bar on the side which is very, very small and your screen alignment has to be spot-on or you get really frustrated. D-pad can be used, but it lags and keeps scrolling after you stop clicking it.
    -Small font is hard to read

Overall, seems like a legit install, just might need a soft-reset afterwards. Its sluggishness is too much for me, so I will continue to use BeeJiveIM and will continue to suggest it to others (It is still in beta, but is stable and free for the time being).

I just put it on, seems to work OK but the lack of notification beyond the noise playing kinda sucks - I hope they make that a priority.

I'm curious to see if I stay logged in according to my Wimzi widget on my blog, either the widget doesn't show status correctly or mobile AIM doesn't really stay connected all of the time. At least this phone can show Online status at all, my old Helio Ocean could never been seen by Wimzi although you could actually message back and forth.

Looking forward to a new device
    After installing this application (yes only this application) my device started to freeze randomly. After restoring the backup, the i760 no longer froze. Just my 2 cents.
    Detroit, MI
    Samsung SCH-i760
    Verizon Wireless

The app likes to self close after a while and then not startup without a reset... seems like we need to wait for the next beta at least.

It says "connecting..." but doesn't go no where :/

It's working fine on my phone. I like it a lot.

IceHawk, I agree about notifications. Vibrate should make it vibrate.

Beta 2 was just released, hope to hear from someone who tries it

I just got it, and It works better...

still no vibrate notification

MINES NEVER CONNECTs

i just downloaded it, it has problems freezing. I get the message A problem has occured with aim.exe what was restoring the backup?

I just use Palringo. It is pretty reliable. It has a few small drawbacks but I can deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromboy84 View Post
    Has anyone tried the new AIM for windows mobile? I have IM+, but this looks pretty good too.

AIM for Windows Mobile
    I downloaded this (Beta 2) over the weekend and absolutely love it. Granted I have never used any third party apps, though previously I was using AOL's client released for WM2003 if not earlier. So far no lock ups... I did notice and overall slow down after running several apps back to back. Nothing a soft reset doesn't cure. After using WM for the better part of six/seven years a soft reset here or there doesn't bother me in the least. I use this device more as a PDA than phone anyhow.