+ Reply to Thread

Why do we still not have a High Capacity Battery?

I would love a high capacity battery. The extended one that comes with the phone doesn't even last me a full day. I want a battery that lasts 2 days and it wouldn't matter what is turned on and how much browsing I do.

Any thoughts? Does one even exist and I just cant find it?

The technology does not exist to do what you want. Li-Poly batteries, like the one that is currently used, have the highest capacity to size ratio of any battery on the market.

Capacity can be increased in proportion to size of the battery. You can have a battery to stay on for 2 days with the CPU running full speed and full brightness screen but it would probably end up being the size of a bottle of water.

I don't think many people understand what a marvel it is that this thing lasts as long as it does for basically being a mini-laptop (and by the way, most laptops only last 4 hours on battery!)

Richard

that's exactly what I want I don't mind having a bigger battery but absolutely no aftrermarket batterys are made for this phone its really weird

cYGONE
    as for myself, i won't use an extended battery anymore. i don't like the form factor or the weight. i only use a standard battery. my work-a-round is primarily to top it off every time i get into a car. i keep a car charger in the car here in the northeast and another one in a car i use elsewhere. i also have samsung cradles on my desk, in my bedroom and in texas. i leave standard batteries in all these locations as well as carry one in my wallet. when a battery gets around 30%, 999 times out of 1000, i've got a fully charged battery available to me. sure, it's a small investment but to my mind it is worth not having to be concerned about power requirements or even the size of the battery. and anyways, the day is coming in the near future when we will be able to walk into a room or whereever and charge our devices automatically thru the air without even thinking about it.

well, aside from technology, i think the battery life directly boils down to the pnohe/OS power requirements. My old Treo 650 could run on a singe full charge (on a regular battery) for 2 days easily with a regular use. So i'd say blame Microsoft, Samsung here. Now, that said, the battery life on this i760 is hechuva better then my old xv6700!

I do a few things to help with my battery life and I notice a difference.

First off I turn the brightness all the way down. (Start -> Settings -> System -> Backlight -> Brightness.) For me, I can see the screen just fine with this setting, except when I'm outdoors in the sun... then it can suck. I need to find a good balance.

In the same screen I also go to the keyboard tab and check the 'Turn off keyboard backlight in the daytime' I don't need my keys to light up until after 7 or 8PM at night.

Now, I have no idea how much the keyboard lights effect the battery, but I know from laptops that the screen brightness can have an effect.

Just with those two things I have noticed a difference in the length the fat battery and skinny one lasts. It's hard to give ya'll numbers since none of us uses this device the same way, (I never use WiFi for example) but I can usually get two working days out of the fat battery and one with the skinny.

Now, when I was down in Orlando for MS TechEd a few weeks ago I made a mistake and just brought my skinny battery. The first damn day I got the low battery warning like at 2 or 3PM in the afternoon. Man I was mad at myself. That's when I made those changes. I got it to go from about 7:30AM until 7 or 9PM before I got the low battery warning. (Though I can usually go an hour or more after that before it actually turns off the radio.)

cYGONE
    why bother with all that nonsense? why not just get an extra battery or two? doesn't the utility of the device suffer when one has to be concerned about 'brightness', keyboard and what not? how does one function with what is important when one is always sweating the small stuff? i don't get it.

The extended battery is good enough for me. Why do you need a battery to last you 2 days? Don't you sleep at some point? Just plug it in.

I never understood people wanting to get more than a day's worth out of a phone battery, unless they're the type of people who are awake and active for more than 2 days (think ER Doctors, but even then, they don't spend too much time on cell phones because hospitals like you to turn them off). If you're awake for more than 2 days, I doubt you're running all over the place. If you are, get a car charger, plugging this phone in is NOT difficult.

A bit off topic, this extended battery is pretty small by comparison to most. I got one for my RAZR, and returned it 2 minutes later once I saw the huge ass lump that was sticking out of my belt clip. This one is barely noticeable.

Maybe you didn't notice but, a lot of people are abandoning this phone. Including manufacturers for accessories.

Kinda sad, it's would be a great phone with some.

How are they abandoning this phone?

Pretty Good Member
    I travel with the normal battery and two extended life batteries. Keep the extras in my car, suitcase, or sport coat when I'm in all-day meetings. Personally, I would not want a larger battery because I appreciate the small form factor and it's oftentimes helpful to be recharging a spare in my hotel room. I've never run out of battery power and it's just not much trouble to carry a couple of spares.

Quote Originally Posted by abuttino View Post
    Maybe you didn't notice but, a lot of people are abandoning this phone. Including manufacturers for accessories.
    Not true. I have been searching for accessories for this phone and the options have grown exponentially since October.

You have to remember that this is not a mainstream phone and companies are only going to invest in what the majority wants. People and reviewers love the phone.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by cygone View Post
    why bother with all that nonsense? why not just get an extra battery or two? doesn't the utility of the device suffer when one has to be concerned about 'brightness', keyboard and what not? how does one function with what is important when one is always sweating the small stuff? i don't get it.
    No, the utility does not suffer one bit, otherwise I wouldn't make those changes. It's way easier then actually carrying extra batteries with me where ever I go.

Though I could reevaluate the way I do things. Once I do something a certain way, that's the way I always do it. Heck, I just use the stock dual charger that it comes with.. I have not even purchased any other charger. Which is weird.. I know. I just want to carry one thing all day and charge it at night.
    Last edited by Dorf; 06-30-2008 at 08:26 AM.

I amange to squeeze about 2 days out of my battery (well, almost 2 days). But I have to explain how I use it. I typically pull it off the charger about 9am and it goes back on about 11:30pm or so My main battery drains are ActiveSync push and IMAP emails. While I do use it for a phone, most of my time is spent answering emails.

I noticed I got significantly better battery life by setting the IMAP to only check every 30 minutes (it's my personal email anyways so 30 minutes is often enough). That setting alone allowed me to go from 1 to 2 days on a single charge.

YMMV, but the extended battery does just fine for me. Except on those occasions where I take it camping and it spends the weekend in my glovebox searching for service and wears the battery out in no time... wheeee

Everyone on this site keeps on saying this is more of a mini laptop than a phone? What does it do that most other Mobile 6.0 phones don't?
    My wife has a Q and it doesn't seem that antiquted to my Samsung.

People don't need 2 days of battery life but would like it to to last that long.

I want to be able to turn on bluetooth 24/7 browse the internet and turn wifi on without drowning my battery.

Btw I just got in this desktop charger because I got so frustrated
    Amazon.com: Brand New Verizon Samsung i760 PDA USB Docking Cradle Desktop Charger W/extra Battery Slot By AccessoryOne: Cell Phones & Service

worth every penny!!!! You can charge a battery and your phone at the same time. Also it can hook up through usb and act as a sync cradle. I just leave it on my desk at work and leave my phone plugged in it all the time. I should have thought of it before

I use one of these:

Samsung i760 Battery Extender : (5 Star Rating) Google Checkout available.

With the 2700mah regargeables I use with my professional flash and camera system. I can go for days on end away from my charger.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jcb193 View Post
    Everyone on this site keeps on saying this is more of a mini laptop than a phone? What does it do that most other Mobile 6.0 phones don't?
    My wife has a Q and it doesn't seem that antiquted to my Samsung.
    Well there are a few differences between the two phones that will drastically affect the battery life. The i760 has a faster processor, bigger screen, touchscreen, Wifi, stronger radio circuitry to name a few. All of these things use up more power.

All Windows Mobile devices can be considered mini laptops. It is possible to do many of the same things as a desktop (only on a smaller hardware platform). Calling them a "phone" is a huge understatement.

Richard