+ Reply to Thread

keychain gps receivers

are they any good? I was looking at some and didn't really want to spend $90 on something that wasn't very good. I was mainly going to end up using the GPS for driving.

I found this via the "Search" button.

Real GPS?
    It was located here.
    PDAPhoneHome.com - Search Results
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

i searched before i made this thread and nothing came up. it said "your search returned no results". but thanks.

I bought a garmin mobile 20 off woot.com a couple weeks ago for $50, and it's been working great so far. Got a free 2008/2009 map update, and it works flawlessly on the i760. The GPS receiver is in the cradle though, so it's only an in-car solution. It also has a speakerphone which surprisingly works nicely over bluetooth.

Just a suggestion though, I had looked at the keychain ones and they look pretty cool.

The Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 kicks major butt. It's small and it rules. I combine that with Windows Live Search and with Verizon's massive coverage area I never have a problem.

Here is a thread about the Freedom ones. I think there was one prior to the 2000. The 2000 uses more satellites then the original or something..

Freedom Rules!

That thread starts off talking about the Freedom Mini, which I think was the original... somewhere in there they start talking about the 2000, which is what I have.
    Last edited by Dorf; 06-30-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Kashew, May I ask what word/s you used for the Search? The Search engine might need adjusted. You would want one that picks up the signals from more satellites and also ground. The Freedom 2000 mentioned by Dorf is one of the top 5 in the world. Here is the link for the reviews of them. Read all you can so you make the correct choice. Thanks, JASTECH
    pocketnow.com - Review Library
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

I also have the freedom 2000 and find it works well with the phone. I am able to use google maps as well as my Mappopolis GPS program via bluetooth link and except for having to figure out the combineation of ports to tell it to use, it is a no hassle gig.

As far as I am aware, the only keychain GPS is the Freedom discussed in Dorf's post above (#5). Let's keep discussion of the Freedom GPS to that thread. I'm going to close this thread for now. If someone is aware of another keychain GPS unit, send me a PM and I'll re-open this thread.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

MGuzzy pointed out to me that there are other options for mini (not necessarily keychain, though) GPS receivers. Therefore, I'm re-opening this thread in case anyone wants to discuss mini GPS receivers.

We already have a thread regarding the Freedom GPS unit so please keep discussion about that particular GPS receiver to this thread: Freedom GPS Receiver. Likewise, let's keep discussion of GPS software to this thread: GPS Software for the i760.

In other words, please limit discussion in this thread to mini GPS receivers.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Thanks Jay...

There are other mini Bluetooth GPS devices and some even in the same price range... I searched the shopping area of our own site and came up with these:
    http://www.smartphoneforums.com/homeAc...ubcategory=295

Has anybody had any experience with the Navibe, GlobalSat or Deluo units. They seem to be popular enough to be out of stock! I looking to link it to my still very usable Mapopolis.

Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by JASTECH View Post
    Kashew, May I ask what word/s you used for the Search? The Search engine might need adjusted.
    I don't think there's been any change to the known issue that the search engine doesn't index words 3 letters long or less -- including GPS. That's been an issue for quite a while, AFAIK.

ambicom at Fry's

I have been lurking in these forums since the long-winded i760 rumor thread began. Great info in here.

Today, I finally registered.

Ok to the point. I was at Fry's in Arlington TX today and they had Ambicom bluetooth gps receiver for $39.99-$10 mail in rebate. It's online at frys.com too. I picked one up, paired it to my i760, and then drove to the gas station and back. Live Search found it and tracked my progress the whole way.

Thought this deal was good enough to share.

Quote Originally Posted by avflygirl View Post
    I have been lurking in these forums since the long-winded i760 rumor thread began. Great info in here.

Today, I finally registered.

Ok to the point. I was at Fry's in Arlington TX today and they had Ambicom bluetooth gps receiver for $39.99-$10 mail in rebate. It's online at frys.com too. I picked one up, paired it to my i760, and then drove to the gas station and back. Live Search found it and tracked my progress the whole way.

Thought this deal was good enough to share.
    Is it this one?

FRYS.com*|*AMBICOM

How long does it take to lock onto satellites? Does it come with software? The description from the link says it comes with "Ambicom Navigator Pro". Never heard of it though. How about the size of it? Could you take a picture of it next to the i760? Thanks!
    Samsung SCH-i730 -> Treo 700w -> Samsung SCH-i760 -> Samsung Omnia (SCH-i910)

The one I bought in the store looks like this one-
    Ambicom
    It locks up very fast and received the signal from inside my car, inside my purse. As far as what happens when a call comes in and reconnecting etc, I don't know yet. Just got it, and for 30 bucks, I'm not expecting miracles. it did come with the wall and car charger as well as a usb bluetooth adapter for computer.

The one online looks different to me. The one in store did not come with Nav software; using it with Windows Live Search.

Here's the picture
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/...f5a1659c16.jpg

I bought this one. Works great. Included a free vent mount for the car. It's about the size of a USB stick so I put a lanyard on it and tied it to my briefcase so as not to leave it in the rental car.