+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diamond and Pro coming to Verizon?

What do you think of this?

SQUEEEE! We have a confirmed report that our hunch was right, the HTC Touch Diamond (see our video review here) and the HTC Touch Pro are coming to the US in CDMA flavors; What's more, they won't be stuck in purgatory Sprint-land either. The evidence comes courtesy of a Verizon Roadmap leaked to PhoneArena (by way of TreoCentral). As usual, they'll be showing up on Verizon under the UTStarcom moniker, which means there's a greater than 50/50 chance they'll drop the cool names for something like XV720957298 or whatever.

Verizon to Get Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, 800w - WMExperts
    Last edited by JASTECH; 07-02-2008 at 03:11 AM.
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

I can't wait til the touch pro comes out. It's the only thing keeping me from wanting a 3G iphone.
    Samsung SCH-i730 -> Treo 700w -> Samsung SCH-i760 -> Samsung Omnia (SCH-i910)

Yeah, I'm thinking about the diamond.

I had never seen that phone before, It looks pretty damn sweet. It already comes with 6.1 Pro. If this does come out for Verizon I think my i760 will be in danger

I played with a Touch Diamond at the Microsoft Mobile booth at TechEd a few weeks ago and the interface was pretty damn cool. However, it felt a little sluggish. I don't really know the status of the phone so maybe that device didn't have the final OS on it and it had been pawed by about 5000 people so who knows the condition it was in.

I also messed with the Touch Dual, which I don't think VZW is getting. I actually like that device as well even with the shared keyboard (think BB Pearl or BB 7103e) It was nice and small compared to our i760, which I think is nice size as is.

My source told me yesterday that the SGH-i900 Omnia is in CDMA in Europe and he ordered 2 of them from the vendor. If he gets them and it is indeed the Omnia Samsung Omnia Specs | SamsungOmnia.org I will ask him for the vendor or have him orcer it for me. Thanks, JASTECH

Dorf, What do you think of the Omnia or have you been able to play with it(the phone silly)?
    Last edited by JASTECH; 07-02-2008 at 02:05 PM.
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

Quote Originally Posted by JASTECH View Post
    My source told me yesterday that the SGH-i900 Omnia is in CDMA in Europe and he ordered 2 of them from the vendor. If he gets them and it is indeed the Omnia Samsung Omnia Specs | SamsungOmnia.org I will ask him for the vendor or have him orcer it for me. Thanks, JASTECH

Dorf, What do you think of the Omnia or have you been able to play with it(the phone silly)?
    No, they didn't have one on display. Looking at those specs, it looks pretty sweet indeed. It has to be Verizon or no deal for me as (1) No 3G anywhere close in Iowa and (2)we are a VZW shop anyway.

Though I'm a gadget nerd, I've never really gotten into the MP3/Ipod world. I finally bought an orignal Zune 30GB when I found one for $99 and, yeah, i use it, but mainly I toss it into my laptop bag to listen to at work, so the whole music player/phone merger does not excite me as much as others.. Maybe cause I'm super anal about making my battery last me an entire day that I'm paranoid I'll kill it off to early..

What I do like is the 5 mega pixel camera with image stabilization. That's what interests me. The cameras we have now are nice, but if you don't sit super still they are blurry every time. A nice camera that takes good pictures I like. Not for business reasons, but more for taking pictures when you're out at the bar and stuff... I have tons of awesome pictures that have been ruined by shaky hands.

I'm still not sure of the glass keyboards.. That's what I like about the Touch Pro.. I can use the onscreen keyboard for brief stuff and if I need to whip out a massive email, I can pop out the keyboard.

Well, I just found this...

There has been romours of the Samsung Omnia coming to AT&T, and many of us have wondered how AT&T will be able to recoup their investment in the iPhone when selling a smartphone thats head and shoulders above their headline act. The answer now appears to have been revealed - the Samsung Omnia coming to USA will be a crippled vestige of its overseas greatness.

The FCC has, as it often does, spilled the beans. While the phone will retain great features like the 5 megapixel camera, it will lose defining features like 3G, GPS or even WIFI support.
    AT&T cripple a device? Who are they, VZW?

Dorf, How will a GSM phone do while in VZW network roaming?

Dorf, How will a GSM phone do while in VZW network roaming?
    Not sure what you mean. VZW uses CDMA so you can't use a GSM no matter what. I think ATT's non 3G network.. (edge or 2.5g or whatever you call it) is not bad in Iowa.. The eastern half of the state anyway.. But no turbo speed, which I'm addicted to.

Dorf, How will this work? It's a phone that I can get from Europe.
    Network:
    - GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 (Quad-Band)
    - WCDMA: 900/2100 (Dual-Band)

it won't work on verizon, wcdma is not the same technology as cdma

I wonder if I can flash it, or I just switch to AT&T and pay less for the same package I have with VZW.

And is it T-Mobile that also has GSM and Sprint is just CDMA correct?

GSM, WCDMA, and CDMA are completely different standards. The only way you could get a GSM phone to work on a CDMA network would be to reverse engineer the hardware, and replace the radio with a custom made CDMA radio to fit into the new device.

You would then need to either remove the devices need for a SIM card, or program a SIM Card with an ESN to be used on the VZW network, which I'm not sure is even possible.

It cannot be done unless you're a genius with a lot of experience doing stuff like this. Maybe some college student at MIT could figure it out, but I doubt anyone would be interested in taking the time.

The bottom line, it cannot be done.

EtherBoo, thanks I was hoping for a easy fix for this phone but looks like I will have to switch to AT&T to use it. In that case I could just buy the AT&T version without the WCDMA capability from the one in Europe.

Im pretty sure the quad band gsm phones work in the US and abroad, two of the bands are used in the US(850/1900) and the other two in europe(900/1800)

but verizon and sprint should both be getting the cdma version of the phone so everyone should be able to get it at some point

Hmm, just read this and if true I will order mine from the UK.

There has been romours of the Samsung Omnia coming to AT&T, and many of us have wondered how AT&T will be able to recoup their investment in the iPhone when selling a smartphone thats head and shoulders above their headline act. The answer now appears to have been revealed - the Samsung Omnia coming to USA will be a crippled vestige of its overseas greatness.

The FCC has, as it often does, spilled the beans. While the phone will retain great features like the 5 megapixel camera, it will lose defining features like 3G, GPS or even WIFI support.
    wmpoweruser.com » Blog Archive » Crippled Samsung Omnia coming to USA?

Epic Geek
    Hmm, just read this and if true I will order mine from the UK.

wmpoweruser.com » Blog Archive » Crippled Samsung Omnia coming to USA?

Do like we have at work occasionally and order from expansys. We have gotten a couple of phones to test and that's where I got my laser virtual keyboard when they were first released.

If we were to switch to AT&T there are a number of unlocked phones (imate etc) that I would order from europe before I ever bought an iphone.

depressedVZWuse, Yeppers!....That is the vendor I am looking at. How are the products form them? Are they what you expected? Customer service? Prices? TIA, JASTECH

The latest news:

When we told you that the CDMA Diamond was going to hit Telus in Canada, our greatest fear is that it would drop WiFi support like the original Touch did. Glory be, that's not the case, WiFi stays. Telus has finally posted up the specs on the their version of the Touch Diamond and we are well pleased:

* 101mm x 51mm x 14mm
    * EVDO Rev A
    * WiFi, Bluetooth 2.0
    * Qualcomm MSM 7510A Processor running at 528MHz
    * 256 ROM, 256 RAM, 4 Gigs internal (no expansion)
    * Includes Telus Navigator software and Opera 9.5 for the broswer
    * Camera is still 3.2mp, screen is still 640x480
    * The battery gets a big bump: it's 1340 mAh

All in all, the processor and RAM look like they're hefty enough to handle TouchFLO 3D, EVDO REV A + WiFi look like this thing will be speedtastic, and the battery is big enough to handle it all. Sprint, Verizon: get this on your network ASAP. Telus: ditto.