+ Reply to Thread

dial up networking

I roam in some areas where the data plan does not work. I have tried several ways to conenct using my phone as a modem by dialing att dial up phone number. But I am doing something wrong.

So the questions is how do I use my phone as a modem then use pdanet or some other way to browse the internet with the cell phone as a modem

You don't. The digital radios in cell phones are NOT modems. They are just "called" modems because the old analog devices that ran on the POTS lines WERE modems. Upshot is, if you have no data while roaming, you're SOL. At least as far as a cell phone is concerned. If you have a "real" modem in your PC and can find an old POTS line somewhere you can use that like the old days.

can I use the modem in my laptop and then use the cell phone to connect...

No, you can't. The analog modem in your laptop connects to the phone LINE, not to a phone. Your cell phone connects to your laptop through USB or BlueTooth so there is no physical way they could connect.

What would be nice is if somebody made an "accoustic coupler" like they used to have that you could put a handset from a phone into after you dialed up an ISP, and the coupler connected to the computer through a serial port. If they made one for cell phones, then yes, you could just dial up say, NetZero, get a modem squeal on the cell phone, put it in the accoustic coupler and go, using your phone minutes instead of data.

But I personally don't know of such a thing this day and age. We had lots of wierd stuff in the 60's that they just don't have anymore.