+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In the Drink

In the Drink

So I am sitting around and I realize I need to make a call. Where is my phone? Oh right here in my pocket. Problem? I am sitting in the pool and have been for some time.

I drain about a pint of water out of the phone (it is obviously not working)

Pop the battery and set it in front of a hair dryer for a couple hours and let sit overnight. In the morning it fires right up after a re-charge.

The left button doesn't work and the screen is still competely full of water (squishing around as I write on the screen),but otherwise fully functional.

Should I forget about it, and hope it all works from here on in, or am I in for a slow death?

ASK

oh wow really? i actually just bought the i760 cause last week my i730 fell into a puddle of water and wouldnt turn on, i didnt put it in front of a dryer or anything just tried removing the battery and blowing on it a bit and it didnt turn on so just went a bought the i760 (which i was gonna buy anyways but all the stuff on my 730 is gone and it was A LOT of stuff) maybe i'll try the blowdryer thing hopefully it will work.

sounds pretty lucky...I washed and dried the slim battery (it was in shorts pocket), and it was dead after that.

To answer you question, you are probably in for a quick recovery. I remember when I had the treo, I dropped it in the toilet (drunk txting) and it didn't work at all. I let it sit with the battery out for a couple days and it worked fine after that with water inside the screen. Slowly the water drained out over a couple weeks and everything was back to normal.

It is difficult to get all of the water out. There are many components in the phone. Best thing is to take it "completely" apart and dry it all out with a hair dryer.

If, at any time, an electronic component shorts out because of water then that component will die. So it is VERY important not to turn on any device that has water in it.

This includes having the battery in. As soon as any electronics gets wet you must remove the power.

Richard

Update

Ok,

So a couple of days later and I would say the phone is at 80%. The left softkey on the front wont work (must ope it up and use the other one) and more crushingly, the U,J and M buttons won't work.

The battery also seems to lose its charge faster and I am not certain if that just comes with soaking a battery or if there is a small, constant drain on power somewhere in the phone (perhaps like a U,M, or J key shorted out?)

So, I think this phone is basically headed for the dumper as I need it for work.

The "drunk txting" cracked me up. I remember my wife telling me she did that, but when she reached for it the autoflush kicked in an swirled it away.

ASK

Well, since we're telling water stories...

I used to like belt holsters. I stopped using them once I dumped my RAZR because they usually dropped the phone if you pushed too hard, or used them too much because the plastic bends. Some phones just work perfectly with them, others do not. I've been using leather belt pouches since.

Anyway, I had a Motorola V710. It was raining out, and I ran to the car, reached for my keys, and hit the phone, which fell out of the holster, and fell, completely submerged into a puddle of water. Oops.

The phone was still on, but the buttons were unresponsive. A friend called, the accept button worked, but he couldn't hear me. I was pissed thinking it was dead, so I yanked the battery, and finished my work for the day (was a Field Tech for a while), and headed to the VZW store. On my way, I turned the phone on for some reason, and it worked! I could make calls, receive them, and every button worked!!!!

I considered myself lucky. That phone was a great product. It's too bad Motorola can't make decent phones like that anymore. That thing was dropped, kicked, drowned, thrown, and banged around in every manner one could do. It took a licking and kept on ticking. Great phone, not sure WHY I resigned for 2 years and upgraded to a RAZR in retrospect.

a pool of water in between the digitizer and the screen never came out, but just squished around with out harm. a Week later and now trhat water is slowly evaporating, causing the digitizer to go crazy. the phone randomly opens applications, does all kinds of "work" etc. If I open a Note in drawign mode, it goes crazy drawing around the edges of the water pool.

I can no longer realistically use the phone. We will see if the water evaporates and it returns to normal before I jump to the IPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by askme233 View Post
    We will see if the water evaporates and it returns to normal before I jump to the IPhone.
    Why? In addition to all its other mythic qualities, is the iPhone waterproof, too?

Quote Originally Posted by ste_bran View Post
    Why? In addition to all its other mythic qualities, is the iPhone waterproof, too?
    Not waterproof, but it will part water, Moses style. You do know that's how Moses parted the Red Sea, right?

Well I figure if I need to buy a new phone in an emergency, and that emergency happens to coincide with an insane amount of media blitz, I might as well succumb to it charms.

problem is that it seems the iPhone doesn't actually do much of what I love on the i760 (keyboard and number pad, stereo BT, etc.).

Heres to hoping my phone will get better...

So...I had a miracle happen to me.

Sunday at work my phone fell into the pool by accident when I was leaning over to get something out of it. My phone was submerged in abuot 5ft of water for at least 3 mins until it was fished out my maintenance. When I go it the back flash light was blinking and I immediatly pulled the battery.

I took it to the maintenance area and shook out tons of water. I placed it on a table and had a heat gun blow warm air on it for about 30 mins, and then used a shop-vac hose to suck more out for about an hour.

I took it home and was freaking out...and looking here I found that someone (Cant recall the name) used Damp-rid. I went out and bought some and placed it with the phone a container for 24hrs. Last night I pulled my phone out...put battery in and and POW! It started right up! I was almost in tears I was so happy. I mean...it was submerged...for 3 mins!!! So I feel lucky. I keep it in the Damp-rid tin as much as I can still for now just to make sure.

I've also read that you can enclose your phone in a container of (uncooked) rice for a couple of days. The rice will absorb the moisture from the phone like an antidessicant. Rice is pretty cheap and available. Good luck.

Pop

I have a drying bag I use for drying electronics... its essentially an antistat bag with the a bunch of those little gel-desiccant packs that come packaged with electronics. I've used a number of times to dry out thumbs drives and my BT headset that have gone through the wash, cell phones, etc.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

i have used damp rid and the gel silicate packets on more than one occasion....This stuff is amazing!
    I want the storm and I want it now!

Another tip: Put the we device on the floor in front of a refrigerator. The refrigerator will blow warm air (but not so hot as to burn the device) over the device and help dry it out. I used this trick when my i730 fell in the pool. However, I had made one fatal mistake: I actually tried to turn the i730 on before it was fully dry--this ended up shorting out the unit and I had to have it replaced.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    Another tip: Put the we device on the floor in front of a refrigerator. The refrigerator will blow warm air (but not so hot as to burn the device) over the device and help dry it out. I used this trick when my i730 fell in the pool. However, I had made one fatal mistake: I actually tried to turn the i730 on before it was fully dry--this ended up shorting out the unit and I had to have it replaced.
    That wouldn't work in my house... the dog (or kids) would figure we left out a chew toy for him!!
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by MGuzzy View Post
    That wouldn't work in my house... the dog (or kids) would figure we left out a chew toy for him!!
    Mark
    ROTFLMAO.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)