+ Reply to Thread

no more memory leak

I have read this forum and others in the past about memory leaks. About a week ago I read about problems with Voice Command and beeps heard by people on the other end. Based on suggestions, I turned this completely off for all options. Since then, I have not had any memory leaks. During the past week my program memory in use has remained near 22 mb is use, without doing a soft reset, since toggling Voice Command off. Prior to this with Voice command on, my program memory in use would start out near 22 mb, and by the end of the day would be around 32 mb. Thus I would do a soft reset every day. Not anymore.
    Last edited by wxman2003; 07-05-2008 at 12:11 PM.

Question is this really a memory leak?

wxman, are we talking a memory "leak," or just a program using memory? I dont have any third party apps, and when i start up & turn on the memory program in settings, i see my program memory usage goes up to about 30 MB. As soon as i turn on my bluetooth headset and do a voice command, the program memory is up to 32 MB. since VC must be listening for me, i suppose it is resident at all times.

So, this really isnt a "leak" is it? As i understand that term, you lose memory over time, or lose memory even after u have shut down the program. I'm not sure VC ever is shut down -- unless u shut it down totally, as i guess u have!

Yes, a memory leak is where memory is constantly "leaked" until you have none left. Like a leak in a bucket.

Richard

It definately was a leak. Even after I closed all my programs out, at the start of the day, program use was 22 mb and at end of day 32 mb. After turning off VC, at beginning of day 22 mb, and at end of day when programs are all closed...22 mb. VC had to be the problem. Day number 8 without a reset and no more memory leak like before.

What you describe is NOT a memory leak. You are simply stating that when VC is running your memory usage is 32 mb. If you had a leak then your memory usage would slowly grow over time until you had 0% memory available.

Richard

Why is it that my program usage slowly increases to 32 mb throughout the day? It does not just jump to 32 mb. By noon it would be up to 26 or 27, and continue to increase to 32 or 33 by end of day. Now with VC toggled off, it does not increase gradually to 32. I never used VC even when it was toggled on. In fact I didn't even use the phone one day. I left the phone on, made sure the phone connection was off and still it would gradually show an increase. Why would VC do that, without even being in use? Seems odd that turning off VC allows the progam usage memory to remain steady through the day when I'm not rurring other programs. I understand starting programs causes memory use, and stopping them should technically return back to prior levels. VC must be poorly written that it can causes this even when idle.
    Last edited by wxman2003; 07-06-2008 at 09:33 PM.

What should the typical memory numbers be? I run no third party apps; with no blue tooth, wi-fi, or any programs running my memory numbers are: Program Total 54 In Use 30 Free 24. When I run WirlessSync the Free memory drops to 22. Storage Memory reads: Total 64 In use 35 Free 28, I have no files downloaded to the phone; only what came with it. I have about 50 contacts, have disconnected the Samsung clock. Even though I keep programs closed throughout the day, sometimes free memory drops to 5. I have to soft reset to get memory back.