+ Reply to Thread

Can't Connect with EVDO

Just upgraded to the i760 from an i730 last week, and everything's great EXCEPT for a few issues I need the collective expertise of PDA Phone Home:

1. Cannot receive EVDO. Period. No EVDO icons, miserable connection speeds of 80 to 110 kbps. I have called Verizon tech support three separate times and been to the store three times. We've tried switching phones but that didn't do it. I had the i730 side by side with the i760 and it showed the EVDO network just fine. Please HELP!

2. I'm used to creating a voice memo on the i730 by simply holding a button. Is there a way to get the i760 to do that?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. The voice memo thing is just an inconvenience, but the EVDO problem is huge.

I am having the same trouble in the south jersey area with EVDO. I'm only seeing the 1x radio icon and it only connects at that speed. I tried updating my roaming profile with *228 option 2. That didn't help. I also called verizon tech support to see if they had any known issues - they said they didn't. I was wondering if it was related to the heavy holiday volume?

I've noticed that when at home and further away from a tower, my top EVDO speed is consistently near 200 kbs, while at work where I get full strength it's near 400 kbs. Not all that great. Too bad this phone is not Rev A capable. We will never experience the full effect of high speed with this phone.

John D. & xKravinx, Welcome to the Forum!
    If trading in your i760 didn't solve the issue at hand and as you stated your i730 received the EVDO signal then I would say the i760 has lower reception strength then the i730. I too have a ore in the same boat, my only conclusion is to buy another phone. The HTC-Diamond and Touch Pro will be available at Verizon Q4, but I am inclined to go with the Samsung i900 Omnia and AT&T network. It seems that AT&T don't need 258 people with clipboards, helicopter and such to get the signal to you, they just do it via towers. Thanks, JASTECH
    Samsung i900 Omnia - Full phone specifications
    CM Stacker832/GA-X38-DQ6/Q6600/G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 1000 Dual Kit/EVGA 8800 GTS
    2xSamsung SH-S203B/Zalman ZM-MFC2 <--"For Sale or trade"/HIPER HPU-4B580-MS
    Microsoft VISTA Ultimate 64bit/Ubuntu 7.10/Kaspersky Internet Security (8.346)Beta Tester

Quote Originally Posted by JASTECH View Post
    John D. & xKravinx, Welcome to the Forum!
    If trading in your i760 didn't solve the issue at hand and as you stated your i730 received the EVDO signal then I would say the i760 has lower reception strength then the i730.
    Interesting. I have found that my i760 has a much stronger signal than my i730 ever did. There were locations at work that my i730 lost signal altogether but my i760 has a 15% signal in those same locations.

Richard

xKravinx, I don't think it's holiday related, unfortunately. Call tech support back and tell them other users are reporting this issue and push them to find a resolution. I only have two weeks left before they figure out how to fix this or I have to return the phone. If I do I guess I'll hold on for the release of the Diamond or Touch Pro, but I really like the form of the i760. Switching to AT&T is not an option because of contract obligations from other phones in the family.

wxman2003, at this point I'd kill for 200-400 kbps.

Jastech, thanks for the welcome, and thanks to all for the responses so far. I was hoping there might be a "deep" setting on the phone somewhere that might fix things, but it doesn't sound like that will be the case.

This situation is just too weird. I have to believe that there are other subscribers in the same areas using the i760 and receiving EVDO successfully.

I originally thought that perhaps my number wasn't provisioned properly, but Verizon tried removing and reinstalling the broadband option, re-programming the phone, etc. I have a ticket open with Verizon and they called me back on Thursday to let me know they were sending a "team" to the area to investigate further.

Any Resolution?

I am having the exact same issues with a brand new I760 i got replace a I760 that broke. No EVDO icon, constantly in 1X...it's almost as if there is no EVDO radio in the device. I've always had good signal strength and EVDO coverage, as i live a mile from downtown.

I've contacted VZW and they are looking into it. Until i hear back from them, does anyone have any more info or a resolution?

i also have the ev issue. I'm on phone with data now..they say that because i switched from a Q phone my account did not have the correct data package provisioned. we will see!

Exclamation A mystery!

Quote Originally Posted by John D. View Post
    I have a ticket open with Verizon and they called me back on Thursday to let me know they were sending a "team" to the area to investigate further.
    Two weeks later, and we havent heard from John... was the "team" sent to investigate the EVDO problem, or investigate him? He doesnt say, but he hasnt been heard from since...
    Kyo 6035, Kyo 7165, Sammy i730, i760, i730, HTC xv6800, i760
    Ita erat quando hic adveni

Quote Originally Posted by smoluse View Post
    i also have the ev issue. I'm on phone with data now..they say that because i switched from a Q phone my account did not have the correct data package provisioned. we will see!
    UPDATE Verizon Customer Service is Useless. Data Tech folks were great, but could not fix the problem and said I needed a new phone. Customer service wants me to go back to the store ( take another hour or so out of my day) and get it replaced. I wanted them to overnight me a new one and let me send the bad phone back but that is not what verizons manual of operation allows. When I take the phone back I will be canceling my service and switching to one of the many other carriers. Everytime I deal with Verizon its a bad experience. I have been a long time customer but this is the last time I put up with them. 4 wireless lines are going over to "CHAD"

Filed a ticket Monday, still nothing and it's Friday. Called several times only to hear "were still looking in to it" They did credit me for the BroadbandAccess service downtime on device.

Angry Yet another.

Just adding my voice to the choir. I will log a ticket tomorrow.
    on the bleeding edge

UPDATE 2 : Verizon replaced my phone and everything is working fine. DEMAND a new phone. I believe this is a samsung problem.
    good luck..it took me a week for verizon to fix this.. I called every day and asked or a supervisor each time.
    steve

Went to VZW Store today, they gave me another new I760....SAME ISSUE...The Tech at the store looked at me with disbelief. At this point i've tried everything..Anyone have any other ideas?

it is starting to look like verizon got a bad batch of phones. correct me if there is an exception, but it seems like all of us just received new 760s.

bTW: I was sent to the store as well, by verizon support.
    on the bleeding edge

mine was new in box!! The second was also new and seems to be working ok.

Asurion just sent me a second phone after I complained about this problem. That fixed it. I am 95% sure Samsung sent out a bad batch of phones.

Make sure Verizon has you properly provisioned, do *228-2 Twice, and if that does not fix it, get a replacement.
    on the bleeding edge