+ Reply to Thread

Must Have FreeWare (Updated 7/14/2008)

I'm making this thread, because while there are other FreeWare threads out there, I don't think they're very good, mainly because they don't tell you where to get the programs they recommend. Google is helpful, but I feel it defeats the purpose of suggesting software if you don't include a link to where someone can download it. There is a good one in the i730 forum, however not all the programs work with the i760. The most important thing about this thread is that programs work with the i760, and do not require any crazy configuring.

I want to keep this up to date and try as many free programs as I can so users can get the most out of their phone. I will try just about anything, as long as there are no ads and it works reasonably well.

I've put a 5 star rating system in as well.

Programs I've tried and use:

Broswers

Opera Mini **** (Do not confuse with Opera Mobile, which is not free)
    Description: Great browser, very fast, renders pages wonderfully, and can zoom out and zoom back in to where you want to go. I really wanted to keep programs out of here that don't require a lot of configuration, but going through the hassle is completely worth it. The configuration is the only thing that kept it from getting 5 stars.
    Drawbacks: It was not made for Windows Mobile phones, it was made for basic phones that have java built into them. It's a bit of a hassle to install, and requires another program to run, but it's worth it. Also, everything is rendered through an opera server to shrink it down. I would not recommend checking anything online that is sensitive (i.e. Bank Account, email, etc).
    How to get it: The best instructions I've found are here. Another nifty trick is getting a shortcut to open Opera directly instead of opening Jbed (java handler) first, then opening Opera. Also, everytime you open Opera, Jbed will ask you if you want to allow Opera internet access. This thread addresses both of those issues.

Iris Browser **
    Description: Browser made to be a full browser for Windows Mobile devices. Looks like a pretty nice browser with zoom functionality. I played with it for a bit and enjoyed it, more than PIE actually, however it lags when scrolling, and sometimes you over-scroll because of the lag. It's OK, but after using Opera Mini, I've uninstalled it. Still worth a look, you may like it.
    Drawbacks: I think this program is in beta, and may become a purchased program. The download page says "Preview Release," which may mean open beta testing, soon to ask for money. Currently, the "preview release" is free.

Media

Mort Player *****
    Description: Best music player I've found. This little application is used just for playing music, not videos. You can make play lists, customize play lists, use skins, and most of all, listen to music! The two things that stick out the most and really make me love this program are the car mode and amplifier. Car mode puts the player in an almost "full screen" mode, and makes large buttons for the track slider, next, pause, stop and a couple others. Very finger friendly, and useful for when driving and you don't have a lot of time to hit a small area for a button. The amplifier is a software amplifier that makes the player output very loud. This is great for anyone using a crappy FM Transmitter for use in the car.
    Drawbacks: None as far as I can tell.

TCPMP 0.72RC1 ****
    Description: Very functional media player that plays just about anything, including youtube videos with the right plugin. I have not watched many full movies on it, but I do enjoy youtube, and other sites thanks to this player.
    Drawbacks: Old looking interface, and small buttons, stylus required. This version MUST be used for youtube support.
    YouTube Plugin: Here! You must login to WMExperts.com to download. Instructions here.

Travel

Google Maps ***
    Description: Probably the best known and most recommended free app. Gives you maps and lets you search for businesses based on location. It's like having a phone book and map program in one.
    Drawbacks: Does not use WiFi, only your cell phone internet. Also, my location does not work, which is supposed to triangulate location based on cell towers. It's still in beta.
    How to get it: Open up your browser, go to gogole.com. Click "More" on the top left, and go to maps. You will find a link to download an install program.

MicroSoft Live Search *****
    Description: This app is kind of like google maps on crack. It has the same functionality of searching for local businesses by typing in a business type/name and specifying a city, and so much more. You can search for traffic conditions, weather conditions, gas prices, and much more. If you're bored, you can search for pre-defined activities in your area. I never thought I'd say it, but MicroSoft really beat Google this time. It also uses WiFi!!! I liked it so much, I removed a star from google maps.
    Drawbacks: You can't specify your location by zip code, only by city or GPS, which was left out of our phones for some retarded reason.
    How to get it: Go here. Put in your number, it will send you a text message with a download link.

Utilities

GreenSoftware GSFinder+ ***
    Description: Great file browser replacement. I still use the default file browser for little things, however, when I need to do something like rename a file, I load this bad boy up. This program shows hidden files, and file extensions as well.
    Drawbacks: None as far as I can tell.

GreenSoftware AlarmClock ***
    Description: Nice little alarm clock. Can be closed once set, and the snooze time can be changed. Very simple to use. I've tried a couple, and while ALC 2008 was the best, it turned out not to be free. For anyone who recommends SpoonAlarm, I did not care for it, and found it to be buggy.
    Drawbacks: You cannot set a date for an alarm, so if you set 6:45, it's going for the next time 6:45 is reached. Also, it only plays .wav files.

PHM Registry Editor *****
    Description: Exactly as the title says, Registry Editor for the PPC. Not much more to say.
    Drawbacks: None

waku WkTask *****
    Description: Task Manager that closes programs when you hit the "X" instead of just minimizing them. I've tried plenty of other free ones, including the HTC close, Magic Button, and a couple of other popular ones, and this is the only one that works ALL the time (I'd check task manager after "closing" programs, and they'd still be open). It also integrates into themes nicely. Additionally, it gives you an exact battery bar at the top of the screen using the first row of pixels. Moreover, it features a windows like "task-bar" for all open programs, so you can quickly select open programs. Finally, it comes with a quick launcher to help launch favorite programs.
    Drawbacks: Bug that won't allow you to close Windows Media Player specifically. You need to hold the stylus down and terminate the process. Not an issue for me, since I don't use Windows Media Player .

Programs that sound good:

Handy Shopper
    Description and early thoughts: Supposed to be a shopping list maker. It supposedly calculates totals, compares prices to find the best deal on an item, and more. I played with it a little bit, just using 1 item, and found it hard to use. You also have to go in and edit a Quantity field for it to calculate price. I might just make an excel template for shopping (like I did for tipping), and use that instead. I won't get to test this until September when I move back to school and do my own shopping.
    Drawbacks: Doesn't appear to do everything it says.

LiveCast
    Description and early thoughts: Supposed to let you broadcast video using your camera to a web source for others to view. Have not had time to personally test, and I probably won't get to for a while. Other users have had success on the forum, but I have not even tried. May not get the chance to for a while.
    Drawbacks: Might require you to pay, not sure if this is free. Phone is not supported. I downloaded the program without a problem, have not set up web-casting yet.

Programs recommended by others/Extras:

I'm a bare minimum type of guy, meaning I only use what I need and don't care for extras if something built in does it just as good. I don't need any of the stuff in this section, but you might like it, so I've included it for the reader's benefit.

S2V
    Description: Finger friendly picture viewer, nothing else. It also looks really pretty, but also very iPhone-ish.
    Drawbacks: None as far as I can tell other than the fact that it doesnt do anything special that the i760 does not do natively.
    Why not "Must Have": I don't see the point. It displays images in full screen, but to me that's nothing important. If I want to look at them in full size, I'd copy them to my laptop. If we didn't have a d-pad on the front of the phone, I might like this more, but I can scroll pictures with the d-pad in the native viewer. Not for everyone, but you might enjoy it.

S2U2
    Description: Unlock program that will unlock your phone with the slide of a finger. Some people have said they don't like the native unlock because buttons unlock when a call comes in, I haven't noticed that at all, and again, this just seems unecessary. It displays anything you want while locked, almost like a re-arranged today screen. It's much nicer looking and goes well with a background. I'd consider using it if I could bring the phone out of sleep mode with other buttons, but because I can't I don't see the point.
    Drawbacks: None as far as I can tell other than the fact that it doesnt do anything special that the i760 does not do natively.
    Why not "Must Have": I see the point of this one, to a degree, because it does do a couple of nice things, but it doesn't add anything you can't do from the today screen. If we didn't have a number pad and couldn't -Left Soft Key- + * to unlock, then I might use this, but since we do, it doesn't do anything for me.

iContact
    Description: Finger friendly contact manager.
    Why not "Must Have": If I want to get a contact, I just type it out on the number-pad. For example, for my friend Eli, I'd type 3, 5. 3 for "E" and 5 for "L". The phone knows to match the letters to numbers, and gives me a list of possible matches by names and contacts who share the same phone number, listed based on how frequently I call them. Much quicker then

-------

Please post any programs you want me to add to this list, and I will be more than happy to test them out, and add them to this first post so anyone looking for good i760 compatible freeware can find it here.

I checked out S2P (mp3 player) and it crashed everytime I opened it, so I did not include it anywhere in the list. If you want to try it, there is a link on post #6 in this thread.

More to try out, update hopefully this week.
    Last edited by EtherBoo; 07-14-2008 at 02:09 AM.

Thanks! Always useful to find information like this.

Thanks, great idea as I think some of the other threads are outdated.
    For music I'm using S2P, which I'm very pleased with (it can be found at XDA Developers).
    I removed GoogleMaps as soon as I found LiveSearch. LiveSearch is AWESOME!!! If you haven't tried it yet you MUST! It can be founf googling Microsoft Livesearch.

I will check out LiveSearch if it's good enough to replace google maps... which I swear by.

Can you link me to S2P so I can play with it?

The other threads were outdated, and not very useful. I want this to be resourceful and I plan on keeping it updated.

Opera Mini isn't that hard to install (just 2 programs instead of 1). Also, you can configure it to download pages directly instead of the Opera proxy.

Nice list!

Richard

Last edited by stanglifemike; 07-07-2008 at 12:50 AM.

Not a program, just a skin.... but if anyone is using SPB Mobile Shell, then you should check out the nice Diamond skins for it here [Updated 25-June-08] HTC Diamond SPB MS2.1 Theme v1.2 - xda-developers

And if your not using Mobile Shell, I HIGHLY reccomend that you do, it makes the phone so much more user friendly. It's 29.95, but you can try out a free 2 week trial here Spb Mobile Shell - Pocket PC Products - Spb Software House

Thanks Mike, but I want to keep this devoted to free software. I think PDA-Net is worth every penny, but I didn't include it because it's not free.

Batti v2.2 freeware for Pocket PC windows mobile and wm5 or wm6 ppc, PocketPC free downloads.

Not exactly a "must have" but a "nice to have"

I am using Batti right now on my phone and it's a simple appliaction that shows actual time left on your battery. Instead of getting the low battery warning and battery life percentage meter you can actually see just how many minutes of power you have left.
    My back is against the drivers seat!

S2P, very pretty program, looks great. Problem is it kept freezing up my phone. I soft reset 3 times and eventually just uninstalled.

S2V, another very pretty program, however I don't see the point considering with the i760, we can just use the D-Pad to navigate pictures. The only benefit I saw, was that it smoothed out low quality pictures much nicer then the windows default picture browser. Nice but unnecessary program. Might consider installing on SD card when I get a 4GB one.

EDIT:
    S2U2, another very pretty useless program. We have a built in lock program, and having large fingers, it doesn't always respond to my touch. Nice program, but not necessary. More that I'm not going to add to the main list; I may make a nice addition list, but I see it as kind of pointless to lock considering once the phone goes to power save, it's pretty much locked, so a second lock is useless. I rarely use the built in lock as it is, and just hit the power button on top to put it to sleep.

iContact, same as above. I rarely open my contacts. Because of the number pad, I just type in the first letters, of the contact I want to dial. For example, my friend Eli, I could type in, 35, since 3 corresponds to E and 5 because it corresponds to L, so it cross references everything that matches 35 and EL, so I end up with any phone numbers that start off with 352 (area code of my school), and any contacts that begin with EL. Since I call Eli more than my friends at school, it brings him up first.

No offense, but a lot of this "finger friendly" software is nice but useless. I might feel differently if our phones didn't have the functionality of a keypad on the front, however, we do, so I personally prefer to keep other more useful things installed with the limited space I have (microSD card is filled with music).
    Last edited by EtherBoo; 07-08-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Added response to S2U2

Just quickly in defense of S2U2. It's not for everyone and if the built in "lock" works for you then there's no need for it. However, the built-in screen-toggle/power-down "lock" unlocks when an alarm or reminder or notification goes off (also goes off every time you stop/start audio via bluetooth headset) - this in effect makes the built in lock useless to me (and others). If we could get the built in lock to actually stay locked during events and actions it would be great.
    (also you can set the S2U2 to unlock using the D-Pad - much easier)

It locks my phone + it displays the weather - missed calls/voice mails/SMS Messages - upcoming appointments and alarms - time and date (eliminates the need for a huge Today Screen clock) - and cycles through my pics like a screensaver.

I must admit that Kevtris is a fantastic little game. May take the place of Shift as my top time-filler ... I dunno I love Shift.

After trying to love Google Maps I just have to admit that Live Search is so much better. The mapping is on par and the added search functions and info is invaluable. They get top marks for this imo.

S2P I don't think is mature enough (iPhone skin for MortPlayer gives you the same looks sans finger scrolling)
    S2V I do have on my SD card and I find it superior to the built in viewer + it allows cropping pics and adding the picture to a contact, the Today Screen, and the S2U2 screen right from the viewer which I find very useful.
    Last edited by luca_bras1; 07-09-2008 at 11:15 AM.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

EtherBoo,

You nailed it with all this finger touching stuff. I had a whole rant all typed up about how I just don't get this touch stuff. (I didn't post it because it made me sound like a gumpy old man, and I'm only 32! Hahaha!) I've tried all these different touch type things.. TouchUI, the HTC Cube slide stuff... none of it actually speeds anything up. A few keypress on the keyboard and I can be making a phone call/sending a txt or an email in mere seconds.

I've tried the HTC Touch, Touch Dual and Touch Diamond keyboards along with the iPhone. I just don't get it. None of those features seems to get me where I want to go faster then the simple stock i760 (Treo too, when I had that one.)

I'm a form follows function guy, get me in there quick so I can get done what I want to get done. Hell, I don't even use a weather program.. just go to weather.com and I get what I need.

If the i760 had T9 for txt'ing it damn well may be the perfect device.. layout wise. Sure it can get smaller over time, but I just have not found anything to get me where I want to go as quick.

But hey, we all use devices differently so the fact that there *IS* different things out there, that's great. Choice rules.

P.S. Sorry for the rant, maybe we should start a new thread about this, because I am curious about the many ways we use our device (any device) and it would be interesting to hear the different ways to do things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    EtherBoo,

You nailed it with all this finger touching stuff. I had a whole rant all typed up about how I just don't get this touch stuff. (I didn't post it because it made me sound like a gumpy old man, and I'm only 32! Hahaha!) I've tried all these different touch type things.. TouchUI, the HTC Cube slide stuff... none of it actually speeds anything up. A few keypress on the keyboard and I can be making a phone call/sending a txt or an email in mere seconds.

I've tried the HTC Touch, Touch Dual and Touch Diamond keyboards along with the iPhone. I just don't get it. None of those features seems to get me where I want to go faster then the simple stock i760 (Treo too, when I had that one.)

I'm a form follows function guy, get me in there quick so I can get done what I want to get done. Hell, I don't even use a weather program.. just go to weather.com and I get what I need.

If the i760 had T9 for txt'ing it damn well may be the perfect device.. layout wise. Sure it can get smaller over time, but I just have not found anything to get me where I want to go as quick.

But hey, we all use devices differently so the fact that there *IS* different things out there, that's great. Choice rules.

P.S. Sorry for the rant, maybe we should start a new thread about this, because I am curious about the many ways we use our device (any device) and it would be interesting to hear the different ways to do things.
    I give the example of a friend of mine who has a HTC-Touch (I think, might be a different one, he's had it for about 2 years). He has no number pad, so for him to dial, it's a pain in the ass. He has to open the phone, and hit number lock, then start hitting numbers where us i760 users can just do it with the stuff on the front. He uses a finger friendly contact program because it's useful for him (for when he's in a situation where he can't use his voice software). For us, it's useful, just not practical to install all this stuff and use better software.

I've always been a bare minimum type of guy, and I just don't care for extras. I would like a nice weather program that updated on it's own, however I can't seem to find a free one that doesn't want a lot of Today Screen real estate (I might pay for one actually if I could find one that didn't want ⅓ of my today screen real estate).

While I understand all that S2U2 does, so does my today screen, and if I could use S2U2 without having to hit the power button every time I wanted to check all that, then I would probably use it, but as it is, if I take it out of my pouch, I still have to press the power button to light the screen up, and with that, I can just look at my today screen. Maybe S2U2 is larger, but I have perfect vision, so it's not an issue for me.

Again, I'd actually like S2U2 if I didn't have to press the power button to bring up the screen, it's just so ackwardly located. I'd prefer the Red button (I call it the "No" button because that's what my first cell had instead of a red phone icon), or something, even the OK button, or a series of buttons.

Next time I have time for an update (been working a new job this week), I plan on updating and putting S2U2 as nice options, but not as "MUST HAVE!!"

I totally agree about the power button thing. To be honest, the only reason I use it is because I use bluetooth headphones and it is the only way I have found to ue them successfully.

I wouldn't be able to deal with a touch only device I think. The many butons on the i760 and the ability to map each to 2 functions is one of my favorite features.

Definitely not a must have unless you use A2DP bluetooth headphones. I just wanted other passers by to know of that benefit.

I do get a bit annoyed by people trying to emulate the iPhone. Most of it just flash, but there are some good things to come out of it.
    Last edited by luca_bras1; 07-09-2008 at 09:15 PM.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

+1 and thats why I use S2P also. You play your music, lock your phone, then you can change tracks and pause/play from the S2U2 screen.
    It may not be for everyone, but its great for alot. So instead of downing it just because you don't like it is unneccesary. It should be in a freeware thread because atleast 50% of users will find it fun AND useful.

And why are people complaining about touch friendly stuff. If you dont want a touch screen phone then go buy a smartphone.

Not complaining about touch friendly stuff, just the "finger friendly" meaning, without a stylus stuff is generally unnecessary. Such as contacts and the like. If we didn't have the functionality, then I'd say that it was pretty close to necessary, but the number buttons take care of a lot of that.

Updated

Added new software. Still have more software to download and try, I've just been really busy lately.