+ Reply to Thread

Windows LiveSearch

I've tried to put GoogleMaps on my phone but it requires a cellular data connection - all set with paying verizon 45/mo for it. WLS seems like a good alternative, but, I'm having problems getting it. Is wls.mobile.com download page down for anyone else??? Are there other places to get it?

Quote Originally Posted by ezekiel198 View Post
    I've tried to put GoogleMaps on my phone but it requires a cellular data connection - all set with paying verizon 45/mo for it. WLS seems like a good alternative, but, I'm having problems getting it. Is wls.mobile.com download page down for anyone else??? Are there other places to get it?
    Live Search requires data also.

Quote Originally Posted by stanglifemike View Post
    That works fine, try accessing it from your phone to download though.

Quote Originally Posted by JDCJ View Post
    Live Search requires data also.
    WiFi works, doesn't it??

WiFi works, doesn't it??
    WiFi won't work while driving, by the time you phone negotiates with the router it will be long past it's range.

That works fine, try accessing it from your phone to download though.
    Do you not have a home computer?

Heres a cab file for you here is livesearch.cab - xda-developers

WiFi works, doesn't it??
    True, I'm sure it does. Surprised Google maps doesn't. LiveSearch won't pinpoint your location no matter what without a GPS receiver.

WLS I find to be a fantastic little tool. Not for driving directions (although it's great for getting them ahead of time - if you are a WiFi-only person like me).
    With Google making their own mobile OS I frankly surprised at just how basic and unapealing Google Maps is on PDA phones. It's quite underwhelming tbh.

I use many of the Google aps on my desktop - I wish they'd package them together in a little app rather than forcing me to use my browser.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

I'm a total WM6 nooooob, but am trying to learn. I downloaded WLS from the link posted above (thanks!!!!) but whenever i open it, it tries to dial 777 to connect. I shut the phone portion off and turn wifi on and it just sits there and won't load maps or anything.

Any ideas?

furthermore, on several occassions Ive found the found to be connected to Broadband Access with the little arrows going back and forth on the top. I never accessed the internet with the phone, but have sent MMS to email addresses and what not. My question is if it says Broadband Access or whatever, am I being charged data by vzw? I'm on a pay as yo go plan for data.......

TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    WLS I find to be a fantastic little tool. Not for driving directions (although it's great for getting them ahead of time - if you are a WiFi-only person like me).
    With Google making their own mobile OS I frankly surprised at just how basic and unapealing Google Maps is on PDA phones. It's quite underwhelming tbh.

I use many of the Google aps on my desktop - I wish they'd package them together in a little app rather than forcing me to use my browser.

Sounds like you don't have the correct wifi settings in your phone to connect to your router...SSID, passkey, security type, etc.

Yes when you send MMS's the broadband connection kicks in and you're using data, and getting charged for it.

Possibly.....but....i can connect to the regular internet just fine. Any ideas?