+ Reply to Thread

internet connectivity

This is probably a dumb question, but here goes.

Is there any way to connect to the internet with the SCH-i760 that does not involve either WiFi or a Verizon data plan? I used to use a "proxy server" with my old LG phone. Cost $1/month, was a pretty good browser, and only used up airtime.

Why can't these smart phones hook up to an ISP simply by dialing in, for example?

Thanks for any responses.

I'd think the reason they can't is that the cell carriers would never allow it.

One thing I miss severely about my i730 was the Q2N connections which was slow, but used airtime. (I disable data) It was perfect for quick searches or weather checks. *sigh*
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

I know what you're talking about. on my lg env I had that set up as well. had the proxy running on my home computer though and it was free. only cost me air time. I got the i760 in march and tried for a month or so to figgure out how to set it up on this phone. to no avail though. if you ever figgure it out let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by angelodp View Post
    This is probably a dumb question, but here goes.

Is there any way to connect to the internet with the SCH-i760 that does not involve either WiFi or a Verizon data plan? I used to use a "proxy server" with my old LG phone. Cost $1/month, was a pretty good browser, and only used up airtime.

Why can't these smart phones hook up to an ISP simply by dialing in, for example?

Thanks for any responses.
    If you have a dial up account you should be able to configure the dial up connection to use that account instead of the Verizon Dial-up... This is of course a theory I have not tested it myself.

I think there is some confusion here about Wi-Fi, but this is an easy one.... I use Wi-Fi at home, at work, and a variety of other places all I want at no cost. The key is to make sure you shut down the connection to Verizon's data network. To accomplish this just use the free program NoData to toggle Broadband access to disabled. Works like a champ, and you can stay connected to the Internet with unlimited use FREE.... That is as long as you have a wireless router at home, or access where you are.

This solution does not use air time, or any data plan and is 100% free.

Here is a link to the program.

MoDaCo [Powered by Invision Power Board]
    Last edited by vtr99; 07-23-2008 at 10:01 PM.