+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Infniiti G37 NAV and I-760

Anyone have a G37 or other Infiniti with the NAV and Bluetooth package?

I just purchased a G37 Sport with the NAV package which has or bleutooth and displays it on the screen. It will take two weeks for my car to come in because the sport model in blue slate arent made a lot. Anyways, I was wondering how well the bluetooth worked? My current GPS reads the whole phonebook and I have over 600 entries.

My understanding is the bluetooth/NAV does not read the phones address book so you will have to program in the phone book on your if you want the name to appear on incoming calls. I obviously am not goinig to program in 600 + contacts but would program in my top 25 list.

Can anyone with a Infiniti NAV system comment on their experiences?

Thanks,
    Dean

Hi! I've got a 2008 G35 with NAV/BT/GPS and I believe the systems are the same. The issues reported elsewhere in this forum hold true. I have my i760 paired with both a PTL headset and my car. Each time I shift from one to the other, I must go into the phone BT connection settings and "remind" the phone that the device (car or PLT) is a hands free device. Additionally, in the car, I must first make a call each and every time I start the car (I just call VM) in order to fully connect the BT to the phone (and, after dialing from the phone, select "Answer" in the car system while the other end is ringing)...otherwise, when I receive a call, it will not come in through the car BT. Further, the phone cannot download all address book entries to the car -- only one-by-one (and I, too, have the same issue as you with many many contacts). Lastly, the car cannot interface directly to the phone contact list (other than to download one-by-one).

Allegedly, the update to the phone (WM 6.1) is going to address all of these issues. There is a separate rumor thread in this forum that has a posting about the release of 6.1.

Thanks for all the info. That is so unfortunate but I do hope the issues are addresses in 6.1. I will only have my i-760 paired with the car bluetooth.

My current car GPS was made by Garmin and it is excellent with bluetooth. The i-730 and -760 were NOT listed as compatible devices but it imports the whole phone book in and shows it on the screen.

It sounds like I just need to make a quick call to voicemail when I get in which isnt that big of deal. I am use to making calls as soon as I get into my car.

As for the phonebook, my understanding is it is stored in the GPS so it sounds like I should be able to beam my top 25 list to the car.

It is not like I cant look down at the phone to see who is calling showing the caller ID isnt the biggest deal in the world to me.

Any timeframe on the 6.1 update?

Dean

YW.

If you don't pair with a second hands free device, I'm not positive you'll experience exactly the same symptoms as I...though I know that, even when I don't switch to the PLT, I still have to make that VM call when I start the car to make the firm connection with the car BT system. Simple, yes, and I've gotten used to it.

1-by-1, yes, you will be able to beam your top 25...but the challenge will be if/when their information changes...you have to remember to re-beam it to the car since it is technically a separate phone book from the phone.

No timeframe on the 6.1 update...you should monitor the sticky thread that discusses this...very new (and highly encouraging) information came out today. If true, it feels like "imminent". I've actually been holding off doing a full re-set of my phone since it'll be wiped clean by the update anyway. And I am sooooo hoping that the update will allow the car to directly access the phone’s phonebook (rather than a downloaded copy)...that would be sweet! But I am not holding my breath for that...I have a sneaky suspicion that Infiniti would have to upgrade something in the car system in order for that to truly work. Hopefully, I am wrong!

Cheers!

FYI...just finished updating to 6.1. Won't know about the BT/car part until later. Will post results either tonight or tomorrow.

Update process went very smooth...followed every little direction in the instruction set. Only two small hiccups, easily overcome (first connection to create pair to ActiveSync failed...just discon/recon and it went smoothly; forgot to remove advaced USB functionality when setting up to Exchange...shut that off and all is went smoothly after that).

Quote Originally Posted by sdgardne View Post
    FYI...just finished updating to 6.1. Won't know about the BT/car part until later. Will post results either tonight or tomorrow.

Update process went very smooth...followed every little direction in the instruction set. Only two small hiccups, easily overcome (first connection to create pair to ActiveSync failed...just discon/recon and it went smoothly; forgot to remove advaced USB functionality when setting up to Exchange...shut that off and all is went smoothly after that).
    Let me know how it goes. I am picking up my G37 loaner until the G37 Sport comes in which might be 2 - 3 weeks so I wont have the NAV for a while other than a portable Garmin. I am really interesting in knowing how this goes so I know if I need to update to 6.1 or not.

Thanks,
    Dean

I have a 07 G35s w/ NAV + BT, and, unfortunately, the same pairing problem w/my i760 (still wm6.0). One thing, to connect, I don't actually make a call. I press the phone button (on the car) which displays in call screen, though the phone isn't actually making a call. I then try (several times usually) to hang-up the phantom call from the car screen. Fortunately, hang-up is the default selected option so you can press the nav select button. Once the phantom call is over, my phone is properly connected to the car.

I perform this ritual pretty much every time I get into the car...and people complain about the GPS legal disclaimer. Ptttth.

Btw, I had an i730 which always connected just fine. It didn't show battery strength like the i760.

I'm sure I'll be trying out wm6.1 shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by aksong View Post
    I have a 07 G35s w/ NAV + BT, and, unfortunately, the same pairing problem w/my i760 (still wm6.0). One thing, to connect, I don't actually make a call. I press the phone button (on the car) which displays in call screen, though the phone isn't actually making a call. I then try (several times usually) to hang-up the phantom call from the car screen. Fortunately, hang-up is the default selected option so you can press the nav select button. Once the phantom call is over, my phone is properly connected to the car.

I perform this ritual pretty much every time I get into the car...and people complain about the GPS legal disclaimer. Ptttth.

Btw, I had an i730 which always connected just fine. It didn't show battery strength like the i760.

I'm sure I'll be trying out wm6.1 shortly.

More great info to keep in mind. I am enjoy my G37 loaner (Premium Package but no BT and Nav) so I am really excited waiting for my G37 Sport to arrive with the BT/Nav.

I have to say that the G37S is a great compromise for being a luxury car on the inside but a sports car on the curves as well as the G35.

It would be so nice to have the phonebook work like on my Garmin!

Dean

Update -- at the moment, I am still feeling like I have to make that 1st call each time I start my car. But, I am noticing that I no longer have to "Answer" (from the NAV system) that first call (that I initiated from the phone)...so that might be an improvement (albeit tiny). But I want to go through a few more transitions (between PLT510 and the car) before I state firmly about the need to "remind" the phone of the headset nature of the device I'm switching to.

I also am struggling with the phonebook. I can find nothing in the car that seems to allow me to directly interface to the contact list stored on the phone. Nor can I find a way to upload the entire contact list from the phone -- the car asks for it (Download All), but I can't figure out how to beam more than one contact from the phone. I can no longer find the car menu selection to DL just one contact -- only the entire phonebook. The effect of that is that, when I do select entire phonebook from the car and then beam one contact from the phone, any prior entries in the car phonebook are wiped out, leaving me with just one uploaded contact item in the car phonebook.

I probably need to break out the manual for the car...arghhh...resource of last resort!!!

My loaner G37 does have Bluetooth. I thought it only came with the NAV package. I hit the talk button on the wheel and then the voice prompts guided me to setting it up. I CANNOT beam contacts to it with WM 6.0. The i-760 finds the bluetooth and then when I hit send, it says pending and then goes to fail.

I setup some manual phone numbers by name in the G37 memory but obviously amm not going to spend to much time on a loaner.

I would like to see this issue resolved but I have to say the voice quality through bluetooth on the G37 is exceptional. I do not have to make a phone call. I turn on bluetooth and the phone shows the battery power and signal strength and I can send and receive calls. Any idea what the difference is between the two of us??

Dean

Hmmm...I'll have to run some controlled tests. For instance, I am suspecting that I no longer have to make that initial first call...but I need to arrange for someone to call me...can't afford to have it not work and need it.

You can beam no contacts at all? I can beam one...but I have to select "Download all" on the NAV and then send/beam just one from the phone (which, on the NAV, performs a full phonebook replacement, which is why anything else I have on the NAV gets wiped out and I end up with just the one contact that I just beamed).

If you haven't already, try this -- first select the Download All on the NAV and then send/beam from the phone...after a short pause, the phone should find MyCar and beam the contact (and the NAV display will change). If you have not prepared the NAV to receive, it indeed does not respond to the beaming request from the phone. Beware -- this will wipe out any other entries (well, to be honest, I know it will wipe out any other beamed entries...don't know about any manual entries).

But, sadly, this is still useless since we can only have one contact in the car's phonebook. And this is the same as it works in 6.1. If I could find a selection in the car to accept just one as an added item (rather than a complete phonebook replacement), then I could indeed beam 1-by-1 the top 25 (or whatever) contact items into the car. But I need to dig out the book for the car to see if that's even an option -- my brain is telling me that it is an option, but I am not trusting my brain right now!

I agree 100% with the voice quality of the system in the car, however. I can drive on rough roads, have cars whizzing past, and other background noise and virtually none of that goes through to the other party (at least with all windows closed!).

In my car, I always see the signal strength on the NAV display. But, I only see the battery display when the BT connection is fully active (while in a call, while beaming). I don't see the battery display when dialing a call from the either the car system nor the phone itself...but the battery display does pop up as soon as the BT connection is fully established. If that's different from the characteristics you see, then I may need to ask Infiniti if there is an update to the system needed (and, since they JUST had it for service, why didn't they do it then????).

So I upgraded to WM6.1 last night. My i760 now connects fine to my G35s BT with no manual steps involved.

As for beaming individual contacts, it is possible, but it's VERY annoying. At best, you can add individual phone book entries and transfer them individually from the phone. The car supports a "Download phonebook" function, too, but the i760 doesn't support it natively.

So I can def report that the "first call" I make is consistently different now...the car system picks up the call and I don't have to select "Answer" from the car system (I had to do that even though I had dialed the call). I have not had time to do a controlled test -- receive a call before making my "first call" and see if the car senses the incoming call. More later.

I am not going to get too involved in this until my sport comes in. HOw much effort do I really want to put into a loaner car?

Anyways, when you install WM 6.1, does it wipe out everything or is this just a upgrade? I have it downloaded to my PC but have not unzipped it yet.

Dean

I agree...don't spend too much time on the car phone book. What I do is to keep a charger in the center console DC port hanging out and the phone in my cup holder (upside down) on the charger. It's easy to grab and use speed dials on the phone...dialing from the contact list is a little dicey when driving...and raw dialing (punching numbers) can be accomplished just fine via the cars voice interface.

The 6.1 update is a full wipe...same as a Master Reset. The only stuff that gets preserved is what you have on your SD card (if you have one). But, if an app was installed to the SD card, any installed files will still be there but the app will no longer be technically installed since the phone itself was wiped, along with any pointers to that app files on the SD card (I never install apps to the SD, only store data there...including copies of app install files).

Cheers!

I actually have been using the voice dial a good but where I just say the number like call 888-555-1212 as I do know a lot of the numbers.

I am just going to program in my top 25 contacts wehen the S version of my G37 comes in and say Dial John Doe Office.

The only I really dont like know is that if I hit the answer on the I-760, it automatically goes through the car bluetooth. I liked the fact that my previous car NAV allowed me to not to go through bluetooth when I answer from the phone. I dont lik ehaving to say Transfer to switch the phone to privacy mode.

Dean

Ahhh...interesting...I live in CA so there is no option to go to a privacy mode, unless I have a dedicated headset with me...we have a new law...and we already know how difficult it is for the i760 to switch between BT devices!

Ok, I know why it was working. I was in a loaner G37 Journey without the NAV. My G37S fully loaded arrived on Friday. It is a completely different animal. If you dont have the NAV, the bluetooth is handled though the car and not the NAV. I too have the same problem. As soon as I start my car, it shows a call in place on hold. I have to dial one number and then everything is good to go.

I am still trying to learn all the voice commands, nav commands, music box, and all the other featues.

Unfortunately, I cannot transfer the phonebook and the NAV phonebook option is inferior to the option built into the non NAV G37s. The Non nav at least let me record a voice tag and then had options for home, office, cell, etc. The Voice Tags in NAV or not as good.

In the Non NAV Loaner, I could just push the voice button on the stearing wheel and say call Jane Doe at Office and it would dial. It is much harder to do in the NAV system. I also hate the facts that the functionality in the car is limited when you are driving for safety reasons even if you have a passenger.

I will just figure out the best way to use the bluetooth in the car but I suspect the easiet thing to do is just dial from my phone or say Diall 800-555-1212 if I remember the number I am calling.

Bluetooth will get better but it is a shame that the NAV made the default system from Infiniti much worse. You usually expect to get more with the extra packages.

All things being equal, I still prefer having the integrated GPS but it seems like should release a update to the GPS and Bluetooth functionality to address some of the bugs.

By the way, I havent had a chance to read all 1,000 + pages of the manuals that come with the G37 that has to go in the trunk because they are so big. Do we get any free NAV updates from Infiniti?

Dean

I just got a Nissan Sentra with the bluetooth option and was wondering (might be similar to the Infiniti one) if we can just put talk and use the i760s phone recognition? It is going to be a real pain if we have to use their system and manually input all our phonebook entries...

I have had a few days to work with mine. I would assume your Sentra would have the same bluetooth if you have the NAV.

Here is how it works for me. As soon as I get in G37S and crank it up, it tells me I am in on a call even though I am not. I hit hang up from the steering wheel or from the console display. After this point, I can make and receive phone calls with no issues.

I cannot beam contacts and I can only manually enter in contacts and assign voice tags to them.

I have not tried to use the Voice Commands through the phone because I have found the one in the car to be at least 10 times more reliable. I have 500 + contacts and I stopped even attempting to use the voice commands with the WM6 and I760. The voice commands that came with the I730 were much better.

I have decided to take the route of letting the car handle the voice tags and for me to only put in a list of 25 or so numbers that are most called. I do voice tags such as "John Doe at work" or "John Doe Cell Phone" and this has worked well for me.

If the number is not in my list then I simply can reach down to my phone and quickly come up with the name and number and dial from the phone but the call is still on bluetooth.

Your sentra probably has the same components but it depends on whether you have NAV or not. The G37 Journey with Bluetooth vs the G37S with NAV or completely differnet systems and made by different companies.

Keep me in mind, I am just ASSUMING that Nissan and Inifiniti use the same bluetooth and NAV but I do not know that for a fact.

Dean